Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
defispeed1

defispeed1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Driveline noise - coasting in neutral

Hey everybody

I'm hoping you can lend me some help on this one...

First, a little background...

Recently I had been experiencing a loud clatter from the rear end while coasting under neutral.
I replaced the U-Joint - still made the sound
I replaced the 3rd member and new axle bearing/seals - Sound dissapeared (mostly).

Fast forward to today...

Driving fast (samurai fast) and coasting (from 50-35ish) I hear a rotational sound under the car. I can't really tell if it's coming from the rear or the center as in the tcase or transmission.

Searching for the sound, I have found no obvious culprit.
Jacking up the rear, turning the wheels one way - sudden stop - change direction - I don't hear anything out of the ordinary here. There is a little slop, but nothing big.
As I turn the wheels, I can hear the axles turning in the differential.
My U-Joints are still in great shape, as mentioned previously I recently replaced rear D.S u-joint at the t-case.

I was going to check the DS angle, I have some shims here I can work with. There is a vibration on throttle from 10-15mph.

FWIW - I know I have to replace the throwout bearing

I'm looking for suggestions here folks, so please share with me!
defispeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
jenyus
retarded on the rocks

jenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond repute
Check the dust shields on the pinion and tcase flanges

jenyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
defispeed1

hmm, I haven't noticed any interference before but I will double check on those thank you.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
Could you describe the setup of your rig? Stuff like is it lifted, tires, axle and tcase gears, lockers, etc. Is it a clunking noise still or my of a whine or grind?
6.5:1 Transfer Gears, Twisted TT, Modified Mighty Kong Cradle, Solid t-case mounts, trussed front axle, Trail Tough complete YJ kit with m/l front and rear and Bonz-Eye YJ springs, TT Shock Hoops w/DT 8000's, Delrin solid shackle to chassis mount bushings, Trackick power steering w/cooler, PRP seats&harnesses,LROR sliders&armor 255/75(32") BFG KM on 17" rims with 2.5" bs (JK tire setup)

Daily Driven and Weekend Wheeled.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
HotWrench4hire

HotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond reputeHotWrench4hire has a reputation beyond repute
T case mounts?
T case arm's bent?
88 Sammy on Propane, 39.5 Irock's, Crawl Fab Beadlocks 1.6 8v, Auto trans, shaved toy's,custom front and rear 4 link, 14'' and 18'' Fox air shocks,6.5-1 t case,5.29's, Longfeilds, Six Shooters, Full Hydro Steering, Rear Disconnect, Mighty Kong,
105 wheel base, Exo, Warn 10,000,
My Build http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=4219
HotWrench4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
UT410

UT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond repute
Have you messed with the R&P recently?

Is the sound more of a roar, grind, hum or whine?
UT410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
jenyus
retarded on the rocks

jenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond repute
There are a bunch of different things that can cause this, but more info would definitely help.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
defispeed1

Hey guys - thanks for all the insight, I haven't had a chance to get under it yet today.

Set-up
SPOA
Driveline spacers
2deg shims
31's
Stock TCase gears
Stock R&P gearing

I replaced the 3rd member with a known good unit (used of course). That is the only work I have done in regards to anything to do with the R&P.

It sounds like a clattering/grinding noise (rotational) It almost sounds as if it is coming from the t-case area, as I am coasting and the driveline starts to slow down...the sound goes away after my speed really decreases to around 30mph and below. Perhaps a bearing in the t-case? I know it can't be the 3rd member or my axle shafts seeing as how I just replaced everything...

I hope that explanation helps a bit...

Last edited by defispeed1; 06-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
jenyus
retarded on the rocks

drain some fluid from the tcase and tranny and see if you have any metal shavings

Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
Are you running a cv drive shaft with the shims or stock drive? Is your tcase output parralel to your pinion? Or did you shim it to point it at the pinion?
6.5:1 Transfer Gears, Twisted TT, Modified Mighty Kong Cradle, Solid t-case mounts, trussed front axle, Trail Tough complete YJ kit with m/l front and rear and Bonz-Eye YJ springs, TT Shock Hoops w/DT 8000's, Delrin solid shackle to chassis mount bushings, Trackick power steering w/cooler, PRP seats&harnesses,LROR sliders&armor 255/75(32") BFG KM on 17" rims with 2.5" bs (JK tire setup)

Daily Driven and Weekend Wheeled.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
defispeed1

Great point - I will drain the fluid completely and fill w/new. I was planning on doing this today.

I am using the OEM drive shaft, shimmed at the pinion.

Thanks -
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
jenyus
retarded on the rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by defispeed1 View Post

I am using the OEM drive shaft, shimmed at the pinion.
well thats a big problem right there. stock (non CV) driveshafts the pinion flange and tcase flange must be the same angle. if you have pointed your pinion up with shimms then, essentially, the u joints are trying to spin at different speeds which will, over time, destroy your u joints along with your rear tcase output bearing and seal, and pinion bearing and seal.

pull those shims out and put an angle finder on both flanges to make sure they're the same or at least within a few degrees of eachother. or shim until its pointed directly at the pinion and run a cv driveline

Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
defispeed1

I originally measured the angle at the pinion and the angle at the tcase output. There was a 2deg difference, which is why I purchased and installed the 2deg shims. It's possible the PO having run w/out shims has ruined the tcase output bearing. FWIW I recently installed (had installed) a new HD U-Joint on the rear driveshaft.

I will take a look at replacing that bearing, are you still saying I should remove the shims? I will double check the angle tomorrow.

I appreciate everybody's responses thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
jenyus
retarded on the rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by defispeed1 View Post
I originally measured the angle at the pinion and the angle at the tcase output. There was a 2deg difference, which is why I purchased and installed the 2deg shims. It's possible the PO having run w/out shims has ruined the tcase output bearing. FWIW I recently installed (had installed) a new HD U-Joint on the rear driveshaft.

I will take a look at replacing that bearing, are you still saying I should remove the shims? I will double check the angle tomorrow.

I appreciate everybody's responses thanks!
ah i see what you mean now, for whatever reason i assumed when you said "shimmed at the pinion" that you were pointing the pinion up. sorry its been a long day, week, month, year, etc. the pinion being a couple degrees below the angle of the tcase output is okay, it will help with vibrations from axlewrap.

did you just replace one u joint? might want to replace the other as well. if you have driveline vibrations, the u joints dont lubricate properly and a cap or 2 can dry out completely. u joints are cheap anyways.

also make sure the yoke and shaft are in phase, as in the ears of the yoke need to be directly across from the ears at the other end of the shaft. does that make sense? if they are out of phase, ie a spline or two off or 180* off, the balance will be off on the driveline and the u joints will also be trying to spin at different speeds due to the rotation of the joints.

you'll be able to tell if the output bearing is trashed by wiggling it with your hand, even with the driveline attached. any play more than a mm or 2 will most likely mean the bearings need to be replaced. but bad bearings usually come with metal shavings so id check that first.

my buddy had a tcase that made all kinds of weird noises, drained the fluid and found a bunch of metal shavings (and a flattened quarter!). put a new case in it and it was fine.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
defispeed1

Thanks for the informative responses,

I'm going to take a look at everything this week, I was away all weekend. I will double check the DS as well, to make sure it is phased correctly (I'm fairly certain I checked that last time I installed)

I'll have to report back later with my findings, thanks again!