Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
jaron_denson

jaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond repute
Cheap All Aluminum Radiators

I used the search button like a mad man and could not find anything related to customer reviews of the all aluminum samurai radiators that are going for around $110.

also some other site sells them as well it looks like. They appear to be just like the economy radiator that low range off-road sells.

Genesis
http://www.genesisautoparts.com/prod...882x7451aa.htm

Lowrange
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...-radiator.html

Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Row-w-o-EO...d0c31e&vxp=mtr

Anyways anyone have any first hand experience with them? I am rebuilding my 1.6l 16v and the fins are deteriorated/missing on a few of the rows so I am in the market for a new radiator. Or should I just stick to a new stock radiator probably with plastic end caps. Do they still make the original radiator with the metal tanks?
Thanks,
Jaron
jaron_denson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
thnx for the Genesis link,,,they have a copper/brass 2 row rad for my sidekick for only 43.00$$$$$$$$$, on it's way now!!!

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
trmexrunner

trmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond repute
glad you said something talon thats a damn good deal and only 6 bucks to ship it, to me. damn i dont think you can buy 12lbs of copper or brass for that.
trmexrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
jaron_denson

jaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond reputejaron_denson has a reputation beyond repute
Well I am glad that I helped you two out... Anyone suggest the stock brass/copper 2 row over the all aluminum 1 row? Copper is better at dissipating heat. The only thing is that I live near the beach and it seems that i go through radiators quick here. I am not sure if copper or aluminum holds up better, but really heat dissipation is my number one priority.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
I have not had any issues with regards to copper/brass rads and living on the beach(3 years on the outerbanks and 6 years near panama city) or up here where they dump a ton of salt on the roads during the winter, which is far more corrosive than salty beach air due to the type of salt used on the roads.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
badzook

badzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond repute
I have the genisis one and its been fine for over 2 years..
badzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
jaron_denson

Good to hear. I just ordered one this morning. I have an 89 samurai with a 1.6 16v. The radiator application chart says it fits up to 88 but isn't the only difference a fan shroud?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
trmexrunner

trmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond repute
well as for corrosion the copper is way better. i work for the power company and we use strictly aluminium wire now except, within 10 miles of the ocean, were nothing but copper gets used, because the alum. wire will turn to a ball of powder within a couple years. got mine yesterday and all looks good although not sure when i'll getaround to installing it.
trmexrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
HardLuk

HardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond repute
I too have been looking at the All Aluminum Samurai Radiator at Genesis for a 16v I plan to install in my 87 Samurai...My stock Radiator works well and I've not had any cooling issues...Does a stock Rad cool as well as this all Aluminum rad?? I just want to keep the 16v from overheating, and wonder if the all Aluminum rad from Genenis will be what I need.

Please let me know your experience jaron denson
"The point of spring under is better control. It has improved my handling and control a huge amount. My last lift was a 6" spoa with mudder tires, that was a pain in the butt to control, wandered all over the road, bump steer like you cant believe, rattled, shook, bounced, jiggled, everything but julienne fries." -- rkteckt

HardLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
mtbkid2008

mtbkid2008 is a splendid one to beholdmtbkid2008 is a splendid one to beholdmtbkid2008 is a splendid one to beholdmtbkid2008 is a splendid one to beholdmtbkid2008 is a splendid one to beholdmtbkid2008 is a splendid one to beholdmtbkid2008 is a splendid one to beholdmtbkid2008 is a splendid one to behold
I havehad a ebay aluminum rad in mine for 3 years. It has plastic tanks so it cant be rodded out. I have had no issues with it.
mtbkid2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
HardLuk

HardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkid2008 View Post
I havehad a ebay aluminum rad in mine for 3 years. It has plastic tanks so it cant be rodded out. I have had no issues with it.

Do you have a 1600 16v in yours with the aluminum radiator??
"The point of spring under is better control. It has improved my handling and control a huge amount. My last lift was a 6" spoa with mudder tires, that was a pain in the butt to control, wandered all over the road, bump steer like you cant believe, rattled, shook, bounced, jiggled, everything but julienne fries." -- rkteckt

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
talonxracer

Copper conducts heat far better than aluminum, aluminum is the second best material for rads. The aluminum will eventually corrode far worse than copper when it doesnt have a barrier to protect it from contact with the air and oxidizing. Aluminum is highly reactive when exposed to heat and oxygen(why it is an essential component in some modern explosives), aluminum tries to change back to it's basic material, alumina oxide(the white powder found on aluminum parts. Copper is stable and why it was and still is the material of choice for residential water supplies(though found more and more in only topend construction), and in fact it acts to kill microbes in your water. You will never see me use plastic pipes in a house. I use silver solder or solderless joints these days when doing plumbing.

Last edited by talonxracer; 05-30-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
NevadaZuk

NevadaZuk is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a stock copper radiator in my TT DD. 1.6 8V w/AC. AC is converted to 134a and I can stay cool going across Death Valley in 115 degree heat and inside i am at 80 and temp guage runs in the middle and does not overheat! I have ran stock radiators in all my Samurai's, 8 &16 V and never had a problem. If you have a cooling problem with a stock radiator then it is a problem with the motor or a plugged radiator.
NevadaZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
HardLuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaZuk View Post
I have a stock copper radiator in my TT DD. 1.6 8V w/AC. AC is converted to 134a and I can stay cool going across Death Valley in 115 degree heat and inside i am at 80 and temp guage runs in the middle and does not overheat! I have ran stock radiators in all my Samurai's, 8 &16 V and never had a problem. If you have a cooling problem with a stock radiator then it is a problem with the motor or a plugged radiator.

So an all aluminum rad is not as good as a stock rad (stock is copper)??

Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
rep added for the link, thanks

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Tan Zuk

Tan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Review on the aluminum radiator that was purchased at Genesis.

Called direct and placed order without issues.
The radiator arrived quickly and undamaged.
Radiator looked and fit very well in the origanal holes.

I had an electric radiator fan that Lowrange Offroad sells that needed to be installed. This also was no problem and fit well using the Zirgo pull through plastic hold down fasteners

Water was installed no leaks and the motor cools well also.

I chose the aluminum radiator because of the weight reduction. With the Aluminum Radiator, Electric Fan and an AC condenser mounted to the radiator supports the weight was about the same weight as just the stock radiator.

I live in Florida and have used aluminum radiators in the past with no bad effects from salt or the weather. They also seem to work well dissipating the heat during the hot Florida summer heat.

Last edited by Tan Zuk; 06-29-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Tan Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Word is Low Range wont be getting these very much longer. Get them while you can.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #18
Bosozoku

Bosozoku is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't overlook performance shops like JEGS and Summit, both carry a large assortment of radiators, fans, sensors, etc. Some fab work would probably be required though, as they certainly don't cater to Sammies.

I got one of the cheapie aluminum radiators from Low Range, but bought an electric fan and temp sensor/fan controller from JEGS. Originally planned to get a dual stage aluminum radiator from JEGS, >$230 w/out mounts. But ended up buying the made in china cheapy radiator for ease of install.

No issues with it, although the petcock is pretty poor quality. I plan to eventually replace the crappy petcock with a zinc-rod plug to help reduce corrosion/electrolysis.
Bosozoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
87HardTop

87HardTop has a spectacular aura about87HardTop has a spectacular aura about87HardTop has a spectacular aura about
i had had one for about 6 months it works great no leaks and is made of same quality as be-cool or griffin. Actually runs a lot cooler now too,
87HardTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
jaron_denson

Positive Review on the aluminum radiator that I mentioned and ended up purchasing. Agreed the truck runs cooler now and there was no leaks or damage on arrival for $110 shipped next day that was pretty hard to beat.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
HardLuk

Well, I was talking to Myron the other day and he said definitely get an Aluminum Radiator for the 1.6 16v motor to keep it cool...Bummer was he said Genesis has been out of stock with them....So, I ordered the more expensive one today from Low Range ($177 shipped)....I hope it's worth it.