Go Back   Zukikrawlers > General > For the Outdoorsman!

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

For the Outdoorsman! Camping, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting - whatever you do for outdoor recreation fun.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
daverbmxer

daverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond repute
$170 Kayak this weekend at Menards

It's a WaterQuest Aruba 10'. Advertisement flyer is here:

http://menards.inserts2online.com/Me.../pdf/Vers2.pdf

Although the ad says it starts "now", Menards (mine at least) said it doesn't start until Friday and only runs through Sunday. My store had a bunch of these in stock in all 4 colors.. probably 20 of them at least.

I sat in one that had the plastic pulled off it and it seemed ok, but it was the first time I ever sat in a kayak. The adjustable foot pegs didn't go far enough away for me to get super comfortable though, also the seat has no cushion. The dry box cover didn't seat right either, but possibly good enough. Other than that it seemed fine, it was light (40 lbs I've read), not too huge, and priced right.

Have any of you guys used these? What did you think? What about experienced kayakers just from looking at the pictures? It's very tempting to pick one up. I've been looking for a used one that's priced right for years but ND is not a hot spot for used kayak sales.

Ramsey winch, removable doors, 2" exhaust, Warrior rack, ZOR LED rear bumper
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
My local Walmart has those out front too. It's a decent way to get into recreational kayaking at a dirt cheap price.

If you're honest with yourself going into it, you'll likely be OK with it. It's not going to do well on any lake or ocean, not a whitewater kayak, & not a good long haul touring yak. It is a cheap, boat that will get you out on the water, having some fun.

We got the wife a cheaper one a few years back, & she's been happy with it. Most of us that go on a regular basis wind up with Old Town Dirigo's , even they're considered mid level by the guys who do it often.

For the money, it's worth it to see if you'll like the hobby. If you already know you like it, consider something a little higher level. If you know you'll be into it, it's a longer term investment than just to see if you'll actually do it.

jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
daverbmxer

daverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah that's pretty much what I read. I can't justify spending $700 on one in the near future though, I've never used a kayak before and don't live by any lakes.

I would really need it to stand up to some waves without taking on water though. I frequent a 50 mile long lake in BC that can get pretty choppy suddenly. Not that I would be out in it, but 6 foot waves are fairly common.. I might get stuck in 2 foot waves, would that be pushing it?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
That yak is more centered around river usage. It doesn't have NEAR enough keel for a lake. Even my Dirigo sucks on the lakes.

Also something to consider is the weight it can handle. Mine is rated for 350#, once you add some gear & me @ 220, I'm pushing the limit constantly. I didn't see the rating for that one, but being a 10 footer, I'll guess it the same as the wife's at 260. If you're ~150# you might get away with it, otherwise you'll be pushing it over constantly.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
daverbmxer

I'm 230 lbs. Max weight is 250 lbs. More lake oriented kayaks must be longer though? I really liked this 10 footer because it would fit great on the zuk with no overhang.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
jethrobodean

They will be longer, most 14-16ft. But the real difference is in the keel. ALOT more keel on an open water kayak.

You;d be OK for short runs on still water. Long runs would suck, due to drift & lack for direction stability. & rough open waters would pretty much be a bit dangerous.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
essjay

essjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond repute
I saw those.

but a store back home has these on sale:
http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/...oattype=Kayaks

theyre 178 without paddle.

Am I crazy, or does it seem like they would be a better kayak, they look lower and wider, and they have like a tri-hull. Seems to me like a better deal.

What do you guys think?

169 for the first one, or 210 for the second one, after buying a paddle.
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=44952

Member of The Save a from Foundation
essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
jethrobodean

REALLY hard to tell from just pics. Basically look the same to me. Didn;t realize the first one actually came with a paddle. That does make it dirt cheap.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
essjay

essjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond repute
Menards

Alco(the local store)

first one is tall and narrow looking, second is low and wide. also has tri-hull looking design, seems to me it would be VERY stable...
The second one also has a padded seat, if thats a big deal..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
jethrobodean

You can't judge it by hull profile shape alone, as pretty much all of the weight center is you, seat placement is the biggest factor. Mine has an adjustable seat, makes a HUGE difference when I'm loaded for a weekend to be able to shift myself + or - ~3".

Now, hull width and bottom shape will make a huge difference. This is kind of a personal preference area though. Mine is narrow, with more keel than some of the other comparable yaks. I like it, because it tracks really well in slower waters, I can fish from it & float unassisted for quite a ways. But a buddy hates it because every hard tun, it catches the backside of the keel & tries to turn you. You have to power out of every corner.

Until you spend some time with one, it's hard to say what you'll really want in one.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
essjay

So just like buying a gun, ITS IMOSSIBLE to know if you ike it or not, until youve potentially wasted your money on it.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
essjay

FYI, Im going to menards tomorrow and Im gonna get one down and sit in it, and look at the hull if they have one. I wil let you all know.

Going by the internet(wich is worthless at these kind of things) I like the second one better.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
jethrobodean

Actually a little extra hull height is a good thing. Keeps down on the splash-in.

I don't even own a spray skirt. Keep saying I'm going to get one, & if i ever do manage to do a cold weather run it'll be a must have. But for summer time, I'd never use it anyway.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
jethrobodean

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
So just like buying a gun, ITS IMOSSIBLE to know if you ike it or not, until youve potentially wasted your money on it.
Pretty much.

Find someone who has one you can try, or occasionally our local sporting goods stores to trial days, may try to find one of those.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
essjay

Ive rented kayaks probably 6 times, for all day 13 mile trips. None of the ones Ive had have the hull it looks like the menards one has, it looks like a damn V hull, looks to me like a one way ticket to tipover city. I will get eyes on tomorrow, and see if the pics are deceptive.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
jethrobodean

Ya, the wife's has that tri look to it too. Rally can;t get a solid feel for them until they're in the water though. I'm guessing your rentals were sit on tops? Any of these will float easily with the sit ons.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
essjay

nope, they were pelican pursuit 100's, they had sit on jobbies too, but I didnt like them, tipped over constantly. I weigh 235, and its a HUGE difference when you get that weight down inside the thing..

I thought about buying one from ****s for 270, but the pulse 100 looks about as good..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
essjay

, smacked down b the censor..

d i c k s

Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
jethrobodean

The Old town otter is a decent entry level that I've personally had my hands on also.

I don't remember what the wifes actually is, but know we picked it up on a whim at the local MC Sports for ~230

Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
essjay

Well, basically, if the menards one has the hull it looks like it has, Ima run away, and get the pelican. I guess I cant find a paddle for less than 30 bucks.. Oh well. Its still gonna be cheaper than the one I almost bought last year. If my friend wouldnt have got married and stopped hanging out with me, I wouda bought it. I figure if I get a vest, it shouldnt be too risky going out alone.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
essjay

WELL, If you want CHEAP, thats what the menards one is. FLAT bottomed, and about twice as thick as a kiddie pool made of the same material. The oar is aluminum and appears to be decent. The waterproof storage is about 5" deep, it has holes riveted to the side for "oar holders" but theres no gasket, seems like a leakable part there.. its wider than it looks in the pic, so I think it would be stable, but its flat bottomed, never been in a kayak with a flat bottom, I guess it means shallower draft and a higher propensity to roll..

Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
WELL, If you want CHEAP, thats what the menards one is. FLAT bottomed, and about twice as thick as a kiddie pool made of the same material. The oar is aluminum and appears to be decent. The waterproof storage is about 5" deep, it has holes riveted to the side for "oar holders" but theres no gasket, seems like a leakable part there.. its wider than it looks in the pic, so I think it would be stable, but its flat bottomed, never been in a kayak with a flat bottom, I guess it means shallower draft and a higher propensity to roll..
the propensity to roll comes from the narrow vhulls or boats with less rocker, the wider flat bottom boats are ultra stable and excellent for novices and the boats with lotsa rocker(whitewater) are stable but directionally challenged. I had paddled for years untill I had my last vehicle accident and cant sit in or roll a whitewater kayak any longer.
I had a Perception OverflowX creek boat and took it down some questonable creek runs in the spring time run off with logs bigger than the boat wisking by along with chunks of slush, ice and multiple drops. And then a Perception 3D boat(think a short surfboard you sit in) to play in the rapids doing stunts and tricks. I used to haul my boat on top of the civic to work(fedex), pull out of the bldg with the truck, stop at the car, toss the boat and gear in the back of the truck and then play in the rapids at lunch time.

I tried touring and expedition boats and got bored very quickly, flat water requires large engines and surface piercing props...........LOL

I have seriously considered a open deck boat as I can actually sit on those without the knees or back going south like when the kness are locked in place in a whitewater boat

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
jethrobodean

I will say, though it is more money, a 12 ft canoe is a REALLY good single person all around lake / small river / stream kicker. Heavier, but able to haul gear easier. Can take an additional person, or TONS of gear, dog, sheep, etc. All around more versatile.

If I didn't paddle with several other yaks, I would sell mine & go this route (just to take the dog). But keeping up with 2 or 3 yaks in a canoe makes for a crappy day.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
But ya can put a trolling motor on the canoe to augment the paddeling......

Carry a LARGE cooler full of brew......

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
jethrobodean

deep cycle don't last for a 3 day outing