Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
robbins.fly

robbins.fly is an unknown quantity at this point
1.6 8v with 1.3 EFI

Looking into building up a 1.6 block and head I have but was looking into retaining my 1.3 EFI intake and exhaust. I've read and searched a lot but have not gotten a definitive answer on the efi supplying the correct air/fuel for the extra displacement. My thinking is that the O2 sensor would notice the change and make the corrections. And I doubt there would really be all that much difference in the actual amount of fuel it supplies. Seems like the 1.3 EFI would be more than capable of squirting in the little bit more fuel it may need. Anyone have any experience with this? I have the 8V block and head so seeing what I can do with it without swapping out electronics.
robbins.fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
riev zuki

riev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond repute
The 1.6 Throttle body is bigger. Yes, your 02 sensor should keep the a/f ratio. You will notice a loss in power The 1.3 will not flow enough air.
Get yourself a 1.6 tbi set-up you'll be happier.

88.5 Sami 1.6 8v, EFI. Thorley, 4.9 t/c, Detroit ezlocker rear, 31" MT, spoa,ots, Hella lighting. CB.
riev zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
robbins.fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by riev zuki View Post
The 1.6 Throttle body is bigger. Yes, your 02 sensor should keep the a/f ratio. You will notice a loss in power The 1.3 will not flow enough air.
Get yourself a 1.6 tbi set-up you'll be happier.
1.3 won't flow enough air? You mean the 1.3 intake won't flow enough air?

Wasn't looking to go to the complete 1.6 electrical system at the moment. I know what is required and It can be done easily. Just not in my cards right now. Was just hoping someone had done the 1.3 EFI swap before and had first hand experience.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
riev zuki

riev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond reputeriev zuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbins.fly View Post
1.3 won't flow enough air? You mean the 1.3 intake won't flow enough air?
Both, the tb is smaller as is the manifold runners.

88.5 Sami 1.6 8v, EFI. Thorley, 4.9 t/c, Detroit ezlocker rear, 31" MT, spoa,ots, Hella lighting. CB.
riev zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
robbins.fly

Im guessing that by the time I had any work done on the intake, the cost would be just as well spent on swapping to a complete 1.6 set up?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
lonnie500

lonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond reputelonnie500 has a reputation beyond repute
I say, if you have the motor, put it in and try it. I was considering the same swap, but couldn't find an 8 valve. No one gave me a an answer either... All just said swap.

I get my Sammi Parts Here: http://www.mikodaindustries.com/

RIP EDDIE (Zero)

lonnie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
One Sick Puppy

One Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond repute
Good question. I am planning on doing the swap, too, and saving some work by using my 1.3 EFI stuff but looks like it would be better to keep the Trackick junk altogether.
One Sick Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Some people say the 1.3 EFI works fine with a 1.6 block, some say it doesn't.
I guess if you want to try it (without modding the 1.3 intake), then all you will be out is time. If it doesn't work, then buy the rest of the stuff needed to do a full 1.6 EFI swap and do it all.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Rock_Toy

Rock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond repute
How about the reverse? I am looking to swap the 8V EFI from a 1.6 onto my 1.3. The 1.3 longblock has been rebuilt by Lee (stage 2) and is a higher compression motor. Due to the larger TB and Manifold Runners, can I expect better performance out of the 1.3 than with a carb? And is it possible to install the EFI off a 16V into this long block? I have been searching for answers but can't find anything...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
If you switch to the 16v MPFI head, you can use that for fueling. If Zack built your head, I recommend using the 8v TBI setup... which will bolt straight onto your (1.3) head.

And let's be honest here- it's fuel injection. Of course it'll net better performance (and mileage!) than the carb will.

If you want to go really crazy, you can toss on one of My's MySIDE kits and run a 44mm Screamin' Eagle Harley carb.

If you were feeling really frisky, you could send Zack a 1.6 8v head and ask him to build that- the higher flow of the 8v head with the built 1.3 block would make for a very fun little engine.

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Rock_Toy

Rock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond reputeRock_Toy has a reputation beyond repute
Right, I know about the My-Side but I am looking for reliability more than power. Don't want to constantly tune. Would prefer to just drive and am willing to give up a few horses (or gerbils) to make that happen
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
MySIDE is perfectly reliable. Set it up once and you're good to go.

I recommend 8v TBI if you don't want to mess with tuning anything. My at ZOR can even do the harness for a very good price.

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Freebird01

Freebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond reputeFreebird01 has a reputation beyond repute
i have this setup and it sucks...the motor was rebuilt. its not bad on power...t just has a huge flat spot and likes to stall easily.

i actually have plans to swap out the 1.3 injection for 1.6 stuff
RcRocs Team #416 Biohazzard Offroad is now sponsered by:

There are many Jeffs in the world....Toms as well...but I....I am Sancho...
Freebird01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
RezRide

RezRide is an unknown quantity at this point
I dropped in a 1.6 8v in last winter, and retained all my 1.3 efi stuff. for simplicity, and i knew it worked well. Its worked flawlessly ever since. perferct smooth idle, no flat spots, no stalling. Ive been thinking of trying to swap the larger throttle body, for more power, just dont know if its that easy. or does all wiring and such have to be changed? Everythings so similer. Id like to do it just to see, But I see a 2.3 in my future, and summer's for wheelin!
RezRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
One Sick Puppy

One Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond reputeOne Sick Puppy has a reputation beyond repute
Merci RezRide! That's great to know. I've got an EFI 1.3 sammy and want to upgrade to a 1.6.
One Sick Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
They run the 1.3 carb on the 16 all the time. The EFI 1.3 stuff is definitely capable of running the 1.6. You may not get the wide open throttle performance of a bigger bore throttle body, but it will work just fine. as a matter of fact you may notice a little more economy with the 1.3 EFI stuff.

Caveat, older 1.3 ECMs are known to have problems and need replacement/repair. The ewer 1.6 electronics are a bit more reliable.

I guess what I am saying is don't leave a perfectly good running 1.6 in the garage just because you can't afford the 1.6 EFI at the moment; run the 1.3 injection until you ahev the time, or can afford to upgrade.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
blackack

blackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud of
good to hear some first hand experience with running the 1.3 efi stuff on the 1.6. I figured because it's a speed density system that when it would switch to open loop at higher throttle positions the pre-programmed map in the 1.3 ecu would cause it to run lean.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
catzuk
Mmmm Beer!

catzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond repute
I have been running a tbi from a 1.3L swift on my samurai for well over 8 years now. When my 1.3 was dieing, I put a 1.6 16V block and a 1.3 head on it. Kinda a bastard hybrid set-up, but it works well and was from all parts I had around and has over 40,000 miles set-up this way.

That being said, and having some experience behind it, the 1.3 TBI will work just fine (as long as its running correctly). You will have an increase in power from your 1.3 motor just by upgrading to the 1.6. However, even more power is available if you ever do switch to the 1.6 FI. Just the bigger throttle body will allow more air in as well as the injector to add fuel to maximize your power available.

Now, I don't have first hand experience in this one, but I have read on the team swift forums that guys have successfully added a tracker 1.6 8V intake, throttle body with its injector and simply grafted the wiring/sensors/ecm together from the stock 1.3 tbi stuff to run it.

B.A.A.A Member #14
87 zuk 95"wb 37" red label Krawlers waggy 44's w/5.38's detroits.
87 zuk 31" Truxs MT's, SPOA,1.6/1.3 Hybrid motor,4.16 t-case, rear spool, front lockright.
88.5 zuk, 31" swampers, lockers, 4.16 t-case

catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote