Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
zuki87jx

zuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond repute
Metro engine swap

Well the metro engine started as a swap for a dune buggy that my boss had bought. After buying the car pulling the motor and trans we figured out that the 1.3 and auto transaxle would be too big to fit.

So I bought the whole car so I could swap the motor and fuel injection into my Sammy also I'm taking the seats and swapping those for my ripped up a disintegrating seats and parting the rest of the car out to try and make some money back.

The engine is out of a '96, I understand that because this is OBD II it will be more difficult than an older one would be, but I already have the motor out (got paid to do it ) and the car sitting here so I'm going with it. Besides I have a full shop ie s, lifts, plasma cutter, and air at my disposal (granted I won't need all of that)

So here is my samurai as it sits now '87 bone stock except for a 2" shackle reversal.

And here is the donor '96 geo metro lsi

This morning I've been working on getting the rest of the wiring harness out of the car. We already had the engine harness, but I've been working on the rest of the engine compartment harness and the sensors and all, also the under dash wiring.

I still need to get a fuel pump and a distributer cap from a mazda 323 gtx to fix the distributer location issue.

I've been doing research for the past few days but other than that I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants, I'm hoping some efi gurus find this thread and provide some words of wisdom

zuki87jx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
zuki87jx

zuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond reputezuki87jx has a reputation beyond repute
Ok first question: I've pulled all of the wiring that goes in the engine compartment on the metro and disconnected it where it went through the firewall. My question is do I need the rest of the under dash wiring (I already pulled the ECM as well)

Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
zuki87jx

Yep under the dash I unplugged it when I was removing the engine harness and pulled it out

Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
I have never done this swap but I would think you are going to need the whole harness including everything under the dash just like any other swap. Fuse box wires to the gauges everything. Where is the VSS mounted? you will need all the wiring for that as well.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
zuki87jx

This is what I've pulled today

Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
zuki87jx

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
I have never done this swap but I would think you are going to need the whole harness including everything under the dash just like any other swap. Fuse box wires to the gauges everything. Where is the VSS mounted? you will need all the wiring for that as well.
Not sure where the vss is mounted I'll look for it. I would imagine this would be similar to a swift swap right?

Going to pull the gauge cluster now

Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
from that picture I would say you have a lot of work to do. I had about 10 times more wires laying on the bench when I did my swap and it was a 89-90 tracker with no VSS and minimal computer management.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
zuki87jx

I figured as much keep in mind there are still a ton of wires still attached to the engine

Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
zuki87jx

Ok I pulled the dash and got everything but the airbag harness and the harness that goes to the rear of the car for tail lights and such

Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
zuki87jx

Still not sure about the vss

Old 10-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
zuki87jx

Better? Lol

Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
zuki87jx

i found a 1996 swift wiring schematic, this should be similar if not the same as the metro right?

http://metroxfi.com/wp-content/uploa...swift_1996.pdf

Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
240hpsammy
beer is the answer

240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute

MY BUILD THREAD

240hpsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck with the swap.
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Stafford01

Stafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the many Proud sponsors of Crazysami's Great American zuk tour 2011

Stafford01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
shakydoug

shakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond reputeshakydoug has a reputation beyond repute
Good Luck with your swap. I pulled the harness on my 2.0 swap and had about 15# or wire. Looks like if you do a DYI swap, you have to lean toward a 100% wiring swap with gages. Then subtract the wires as you can. to clean it up. May take a lot of research on a wiring diagram. You can do it!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
zuki87jx

from what i can tell the vss for the '96 is mounted to the transmission, and doesnt look anything like what goes in the samurai cluster

hmmmm

Old 10-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
zuki87jx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakydoug View Post
Good Luck with your swap. I pulled the harness on my 2.0 swap and had about 15# or wire. Looks like if you do a DYI swap, you have to lean toward a 100% wiring swap with gages. Then subtract the wires as you can. to clean it up. May take a lot of research on a wiring diagram. You can do it!
so what you are saying is use the geo gauges?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
deweyzuk

deweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond reputedeweyzuk has a reputation beyond repute
Is the metro motor like the swift? Will it bolt up to the samurai tranny? What are the specs? Sorry for all the questions, I've been looking into different swap options.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
zuki87jx

its a G13B its the same block as the samurai engine so everything that bolts to the samurai block ie mounts, clutch cable bracket, tranny all bolt right on.

the head on the other hand is different than the samurai, the distributer housing is different, it has the water outlet on the back of the head, and it has roller rockers apparently

Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
billsbar

you need to pm the southern Colorado boys, they are almost all running EFI Metro stuff.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
clowncar

clowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond repute
If you run into issues and need help go to teamswift.net. It is a forum for metros/swifts. Lots of good info on there. They are the ZK of the metro world.

PROUD UNION MEMBER
POST PADDING UNION-MACHINIST UNION LOCAL 733
clowncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #23
peewee2

peewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
you need to pm the southern Colorado boys, they are almost all running EFI Metro stuff.
catzuk is pretty knowledgable about the metro and swift stuff if i recall correctly
Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #24
zuki87jx

Update: I moved the samurai from the house to the shop

Old 11-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #25
zuki87jx

Ok I got the samurai ready to come out but of course the tractor isnt at the shop so I have no way of actually pulling it out