Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Yota Swap Tech

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Yota Swap Tech Here you can discuss from engine swaps, axle, swaps, Tcase swaps or just about anything for your Yota parts swap.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Dustin075

Dustin075 is an unknown quantity at this point
Toyota springs vs YJ springs

I got a free set of Toyota springs, and have a set of Toyota axles. So I would like to know the pros and cons of the Toyota springs vs the YJ springs. They seem to be the same length, and if I have to I'd be will to remove a leaf to get some more flex. Just seems there has to be a reason why everyone is on the YJ wagon. Thanks
Dustin075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
LiftedZuki

LiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond repute
The front yotas would work perfect. 45"x centered pin.

They are 2.36" wide, and the YJ plates make it 2 1/2" but still might bolt right in?

Rear yotas will extend your wb, about 5" per front/rear.
www.lj10.com
LiftedZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Dustin075

This is strictly a wheeler, so the extra wheel base would be a added bonus. Thanks for the info
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
LiftedZuki

LiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond repute
They are also just a tad longer, but would be the way to go. Winkler01 on here did this, he sits around 93" wb IIRC.
www.lj10.com
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Dustin075

Well I get them for free so I think I will just rock them. Plan on doing a front and rear four with fox air shocks this winter, this is just to get me on the trail for the rest of the season.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
Missed this one to start.

I started with a set of toy front lift springs under mine. They were STIFF! No flex, & rode rougher than anything I've ever had. Note that these were lift springs.

Just my experience.

jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
TRACKER

TRACKER is an unknown quantity at this point
my first post

i first start off with yj all 4 corners . i switched to toy rear springs they re soft and flexy .. they flex better than the yj

toy not at full flex

yj at full flex

TRACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
LiftedZuki

Mine was like this with YJ SPOA
www.lj10.com
Old 10-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobodean View Post

I started with a set of toy front lift springs under mine. They were STIFF! No flex, & rode rougher than anything I've ever had. Note that these were lift springs.

Just my experience.
Just to clarify, the FRONT Toyota springs were the ones not flexing for me. The rears did awesome, & if I ever do more front stretch, I'll probably use them in the front.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
o'neal

o'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond repute
I'm running rear toy springs at all 4 corners on my samurai and the wifes tracker....Nice ride and flex great.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
NEzukin

NEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond repute
So, I have YJ's now with the SKY YJ kit.

I need new springs anyway because the YJ's I have now are almost frowning with just the light weight of the samurai. If I get yota springs which ones am I looking for? And someone mentioned that the rear springs will extend the wheelbase 5" per end... These may be a great option for the rear of my zuk, because my front is all done and the steering is perfect, my pitman arm just clears my drag link. So I don't wanna screw with the front axle/springs.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
SU-FA'

SU-FA' is an unknown quantity at this point
Toyota springs

What year yota rear springs are you running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
i first start off with yj all 4 corners . I switched to toy rear springs they re soft and flexy .. They flex better than the yj

toy not at full flex

yj at full flex

SU-FA' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
jethrobodean

Toy rears all around:

Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
jethrobodean

78-88 are the popular ones. 48" total length, 20.5/27.5 offset pin.

78-83 have about 1.5-2" more free arch than the later years, For most, that just means more lift, but if you run a higher free arched spring, that is softer, you get good spring action in the rougher stuff at speed. The spring is able to rebound faster, without compromising compression (As a stiffer spring would).

I'm running 86+ (IFS truck) springs in the front of mine, with a few added leaves for a 5 leaf pack, & a stripped down '82, 3 leaf pack in the rear.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
86chevyjoe

86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead, but what do you guys think about running trailgear/allpro toyota front 4" lift springs SUA?

they're 47" with 22" and 25" lengths from the center pin. compare to yj's and toy rears from this chart
http://www.4x4spot.com/misc__spring_information.htm
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
jethrobodean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobodean View Post

Just my experience.
I had 3" Procomps & the fronts were way too stiff. The TG's seem to use thinner leaves, but they may still be stiff.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
zukijames

zukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond repute
trail gear will be softer than the procomp and the tg 4 is the best one they make
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
86chevyjoe

86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute86chevyjoe has a reputation beyond repute
Ya procrap springs are always super stiff!

Im thinking I will probably pull the bottom leaf and maybe one more if they're too stiff. Now I just need to decide whether I want to go 4" or 5".

What makes the 4" spring better than the 3 or 5"? I'm surprised no one has ever tried this setup before.
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
NEzukin

NEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond reputeNEzukin has a reputation beyond repute
Kinda an older thread but it beats making a new one.

Ihabe yjs front and rear with the sky kit. The front end is stating the way it is because my pitman arm clears my tie rod by like 3/8". I'd like to extend my wheelbase out in the back. Yj springs are 42.5" eye -eye. What are toys and what are xj's? Everyone seems to say swap this, swap that, but they can be kinda vague. Do I need to move perches? What all needs to be done besides lengthening the driveshaft and relocating the fuel tank