Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Talking Tools, Trailer & Towrigs

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Talking Tools, Trailer & Towrigs Brag about your Tools, trailers & Towrigs here! If you have some questions this is the place.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
rking300

rking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond repute
Towing two trailers (triple towing)

In Oklahoma it legal to "triple tow". Tow two bumper pull trailers. I'm looking into getting a real small 14' camper that weighs 2000lbs. My rig and trailer for it weigh a total of about 3600lbs (the total being only 1/2 the weight of what my truck is actually capable of). I was thinking of getting a ball put on my rig trailer to pull both the rig and the travel trailer once a month. Reason being is my wife and I also camp alot so there will be times I wont have my rig with me just the travel trailer. I've seen two people doing this.
Has anyone done this and whats your take?
thanks,
rking300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
NO ! FIRST TRAILER HAS TO BE FIFTH WHEEL OR GOOSENECK , second has to be bumper pull. both with brakes , 2 seperate brake boxes. you can not pull tripples without a cdl.
I deal with it everyday and can pull tripples but if I'm on vacation or going to play the last thing I want running my weekend is the train behind me.
more trouble than it's worth...........ever !

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
rking300

rking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond reputerking300 has a reputation beyond repute
Ive contacted the highway patrol and was told triple towing(or double-one truck two trailers) is legal in Oklahoma with two bumper pulls, along with websites such as http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php
The regulation is it has to be a total under 65 feet.

Last edited by rking300; 11-30-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
you better check DOT, I'm not arguing only telling you what I have dealt with for 20 + years daily. you will be pulled over and fines giving. Joe just got hung out to dry going to zukikrawel and should not have been. got him for no cdl and over weight, there was no reason for him to have a cdl because he was not for hire but it has changed now.

there is a cdl that you have to have to pull doubles (you are not pulling tripples) 2 trailers is doubles and is against DOT in bumper hitch configuration.
try it if you want , not only is 2 bumper hitches illegal but very unsafe , one starts to and you are . don't even think about towing this mess with a 1/2 ton truck, that is an accident waiting to happen.

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

and sites like this http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php get people in more trouble than they are worth. they won't be there to pay your tickets either or clean up the mess.

DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
catzuk
Mmmm Beer!

catzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond repute
Good info here. I do not know if its legal here in CO or not, but I see double bumper trailer pulling all the time here going up and down interstate and state highways daily. Usually its a truck,camper then a boat, or a truck,flat bed trailer then boat. Heck I even see our southern border semi-illegals doing double flat towing!!!! Yes thats right, usually its an overloaded mini van towing two cars, both on tow bars, not dolly's.

I thought it had to be under a certian total weight, axle limit or total length before a CDl was needed?

B.A.A.A Member #14
87 zuk 95"wb 37" red label Krawlers waggy 44's w/5.38's detroits.
87 zuk 31" Truxs MT's, SPOA,1.6/1.3 Hybrid motor,4.16 t-case, rear spool, front lockright.
88.5 zuk, 31" swampers, lockers, 4.16 t-case

catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
your rig and camper is 2600lb, 2000 of that the camper so what rig do you have that only weights 1600lb?
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzuk View Post
Good info here. I do not know if its legal here in CO or not, but I see double bumper trailer pulling all the time here going up and down interstate and state highways daily. Usually its a truck,camper then a boat, or a truck,flat bed trailer then boat. Heck I even see our southern border semi-illegals doing double flat towing!!!! Yes thats right, usually its an overloaded mini van towing two cars, both on tow bars, not dolly's.

I thought it had to be under a certian total weight, axle limit or total length before a CDl was needed?

LOL I have seen them towing 2 cars with tow staps with a guy in each car being towed
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
LiftedZuki

LiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
your rig and camper is 2600lb, 2000 of that the camper so what rig do you have that only weights 1600lb?

He is looking at a camper that is around 2k. His current trailer+rig is 3600.

www.lj10.com
LiftedZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
rking300

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedZuki View Post

He is looking at a camper that is around 2k. His current trailer+rig is 3600.

Correct. the travel trailer is 2000lbs the rig and trailer are 3600lbs for a total of 5600lbs. So pretty light
Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
LiftedZuki

LiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond repute
Us younger members always having to keep the older guys inline.
www.lj10.com
LiftedZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
clowncar

clowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoybox View Post
NO ! FIRST TRAILER HAS TO BE FIFTH WHEEL OR GOOSENECK , second has to be bumper pull. both with brakes , 2 seperate brake boxes. you can not pull tripples without a cdl.
And you still have to be under the total length.

Like this in Kansas too. My brother owns a trailer business here in Wichita and is dealing with this all the time. I use to work for him all the time. He Hauled a something for personal use with his personal rig and because it was a long rig got pulled over and held for no CDL. He contracted all his trailer hauling. Oklahoma will bust your but before anyone will. He has a CDL now, does a lot of his own hauling now that he went thru the trouble.

Better do a deeper search then a phone call or website. Some of them fines are pretty big!!!!
clowncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
clowncar

clowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond reputeclowncar has a reputation beyond repute
Never even thought about the obvious problem. My numbers are probably wrong but dad feel free to tell me BS or correct me here.

A 2 inch ball is only rated for 5000lbs (?) and the 2 5/16 is only rated for how much? doesn't matter as most trailers, whether or not they should have that size don't. You see 2 inch balls rated for more but it was my understanding that 5000 was the dot limit. And no matter how you load it, the total weight is on that 1st ball. Which is why they say gooseneck or 5th wheel. They have limits well in excess of regular ball hitches, my small one is 15,000 i think.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
billsbar

I talked to a guy from AZ last July as he was loading his lifted Rubicon into his toy hauler, and it was a big toy hauler I said damn that thing must weigh a ton and he said 8 of them to be exact. 16,000lbs with the Jeep in it then I walked on by and it was a bumper pull

Last edited by billsbar; 11-30-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
clowncar

I wouldn't own a bumper pull that heavy. Not trying to trash anyone on here. Just saying what i have heard and whether or not it is legal, i wouldn't do it.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
shadowrider

shadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond repute
There are five different hitch classes, ranging from 1 to 5. Class I hitches can be used to fasten a gross trailer weight (GTW) of 2,000 lbs and a max tongue weight of 200 lbs. Class II hitches will fasten up to 3,500 lbs and handle 300 lbs of tongue weight. Class II hitches will fasten up to 5,000 lbs of trailer weight and 500 lbs of tongue weight.

Classes IV and V are considered to be heavy duty trailer hitches. A class IV hitch will handle up to 5 tons of trailer weight and a trailer tongue of 1,000 lbs. Class V hitches accommodate weights over 5 tons and some gooseneck hitches can haul up to 30,000 pounds.

shadowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
shadowrider

shadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond repute
i always get freaked out when i have to drive behind someone hualin 2 trailers just dont know how safe ppl do things now days

shadowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedZuki View Post
Us younger members always having to keep the older guys inline.

yall are gonna have to get an earlier start

DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowncar View Post
Never even thought about the obvious problem. My numbers are probably wrong but dad feel free to tell me BS or correct me here.

A 2 inch ball is only rated for 5000lbs (?) and the 2 5/16 is only rated for how much? doesn't matter as most trailers, whether or not they should have that size don't. You see 2 inch balls rated for more but it was my understanding that 5000 was the dot limit. And no matter how you load it, the total weight is on that 1st ball. Which is why they say gooseneck or 5th wheel. They have limits well in excess of regular ball hitches, my small one is 15,000 i think.

your on the right track, they have gotten nuts with the tow laws and no two state agencies read the page the same way. D.O.T. has their own rule book and no one else has a clue.
we have people getting busted everyday , you do not want to pay wrecker bills and impound fees on 3 pcs. of equipment.
I have been in the trailer business over 20 years and have to deal with this crap daily. I thought when Itsmejoe got busted we could get him out of it because he was "not for hire" we all learned a new lesson on that deal. laws and regulations have changed .

DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
rking300

Did Joe get pulled over in TX or OK. I know some of them had issues in TX
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #21
JPR Ram

JPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond repute
I know several people here in SoCal who tow exactly like this; a pickup, a travel trailer and a toy trailer, either a flatbed or boat trailer. But they ALL have Class A CDL's and all tow a 5th wheel pulling a bumper pull. Actually, one of the guys can back-up that combo around a corner to exactly where he wants. Damn good driver.

SPOA, RE YJ's w/ TT M/L's, SpiderTrax Panhard Bar, Sky Stage 1 OTT, 33" TSL's, 6.5 T/C w/ Rock 4xFab TwinSticks, ZOR Snatch #147, LockRight Ft w/ Double-Tough Chro-Mo's, Detroit Rr, 5.12's, 1.3L w/ 1.6L EFI, PRP's, Custom "Family" Cage, ARB Ft-Bumper w/ XRC-8000, Custom Chunk of Steel Rr-Bumper

JPR Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
redbeard
costume time.

redbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rking300 View Post
Did Joe get pulled over in TX or OK. I know some of them had issues in TX
joe's issues were due to how the trailer was registered, as it was for private use the fine was for the registration not a wheight or length violation.

Samimog,
50 pounds of parts crammed on a 10 pound rig

wish me luck

co-owner mega camper

www.facebook.com/2tribesevents
PIE

WTSS forever
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #23
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen 2 wreaks with a pickup towing a camp trailer and a boat. Not a pretty sight. I did see one once that started ping and I got the hell away before he collected me.
It just doesn't seem very safe unless maybe setup and driven by a professional which we all are. LOL
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
WVhillbilly
Krawler

WVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond repute
Don't think I would wanna chase one of those back and forth on a windy day.

Pie
RIP Hatter
RIP Zero
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #25
zukicidal

zukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond reputezukicidal has a reputation beyond repute
This link has laws broken down by state. Not sure of accuracy, but the Arizona one sounds right to me.

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html
zukicidal is offline   Reply With Quote