Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute
SUA lift on an Sj410 lotsof questions

Is there a difference in sami and SJ410 springs? I measured and can't seem to find one.

Picked up a set of 4 inch BDS sua springs for dirt cheap. Heard mixed info about them but don't mind as this will only see mild trail time and a stiffer ride would be nice on road.

Want to add some lift shackles. Prob 1 inch of lift from the shackles.

Steering correction? saw calmin makes a drop pitman for the sj410 but I have yet to see a high steer kit? Is there any part of an samurai that will fit

Brakes A big concern as I have 4 wheel drums which work okay but discs would be cool. Could I modify a sami disc front to fit the 410?

Gearing: Hear that lj80 diffs have stock 456 gears which would help alot with turning the 31's. Anyone have ideas on who might have some? the other option is to put a kit in one of the sami tcases i have but would this help in 2hi?

Wheel spacers: whats your opinions on them? any brand or type better then another?

Been searching all over and not as much info on the s410's. I know the springs are the same length so I am hoping that this will work. I thought about spoa but if I am going to do that then I am going to go yota axles... if i am gonna go yota axles i am gonna upgrade to a sami drive train.. I might as well start off with a rust free sami to build into more of a wheeler!

So i want to stay sua lift on this keep it nice and redo the body and paint.

Thanks for any info. This site has already given me alot and I hope someday I can help others.
84400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
ShuDuck

ShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond reputeShuDuck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84400 View Post
Is there a difference in sami and SJ410 springs? I measured and can't seem to find one. .
different materials

Quote:
Want to add some lift shackles. Prob 1 inch of lift from the shackles.

that will require 2" longer shackles, too much IMO. 3/4"-1" longer than stock max

Quote:

Steering correction? saw calmin makes a drop pitman for the sj410 but I have yet to see a high steer kit? Is there any part of an samurai that will fit

[B.
Sj is 80mm narrower than a samurai, you might be able to cut down a samurai kit if there is enough thread

Quote:
Brakes A big concern as I have 4 wheel drums which work okay but discs would be cool. Could I modify a sami disc front to fit the 410?

You can swap the whole samurai knuckle over and get disk brakes

Quote:
Gearing: Hear that lj80 diffs have stock 456 gears which would help alot with turning the 31's. Anyone have ideas on who might have some? the other option is to put a kit in one of the sami tcases i have but would this help in 2hi?
All the gearing reductions in the tcase reduce the high range as well.

Quote:
Wheel spacers: whats your opinions on them? any brand or type better then another?

I would rather have a set of correct offset rims. Rock crawler 8" rims(cant remember offset from the top of my head) fits perfectly on a sj with 31"x10.5"
ShuDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
normmus

normmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond reputenormmus has a reputation beyond repute
I have an 83 SJ and I run 31 x 10.50 tires. Here is how I did it:

-CJ front springs in the back, using relocation plates moving the front mounting point 2.5 inches
-Longer shackles

-Rear spring pack up front, removed the overload and added the bottom leaf from the front spring pack. Moved the spring mounting point about 1.5 inches rearward. Also used longer shackles.

-From what I could tell, SJ and Samurai springs are the same eye to eye length but the leafs themselves are a bit different., usinmg fewer leaves
-I cut off the front bumper mounts because the tires would rub when turned

-Did a bit of virtual lift

-I used 15x8 wheels with 3.5" backspacing, tires are 31x10.5 wranglers.

With this setup there is no rubbing, no bump steer, and it tracks straight and true with no wobbles or vibrations.

For gearing yes the LJ80s have 4.56 gearing which would make up for 31 inch tires. I heard that LJ81 transfer cases have slightly lower gearing than regular LJ80 tcases, so if you find one of those, grab it. I use my stock gearing and while it is slow to accelerate, I run at around 4200rpm at 60mph.

Rig #1
1988.5 Samurai
Sky Stage 5 SPOA & YJs
Spidertrax Panhard
Calmini 5.14 Tcase
Mighty Kong
31x10.50 Wranglers
1.6 Swap in Progress

Rig #2
1971 Feet, bone stock.
normmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #4

84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute84400 has a reputation beyond repute
great thanks for answering all my questions! I did not know the sami knuckles will swap I need to look more into this.
Tires i have are 21x10.50 and i know the rims have a greater offset then stock but i need to check into this some more..

Normmus thanks for your input lots of good info there.
84400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
meanbgreen

meanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond repute
You could always check into Jimny's as they are the same frame scale and such, also come with the 4.1 transfer case.

http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/rankem.cgi?id=TXZUKI
I drive a スズキ and スズキ ジムニー
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
quebecsamurai

quebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond reputequebecsamurai has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbgreen View Post
You could always check into Jimny's as they are the same frame scale and such, also come with the 4.1 transfer case.
Any reference, link to that info???

I may be wrong but to my knowledge, the Samurai (SJ) we know here in North America, are in facts the 2nd generation of Suzuki Jimny.

1st gen of Jimny was the LJ.

3rd gen is the JB which are still produced today but not imported in USA and Canada. (Don't know about Mexico)

So Jimny does not mean anything about transfer case ratios.

83 SJ410K "factory pick-up" - 16v - Kick 5sp + doubler - flat belly - YJ springs - front slider shackles - Bilstein shocks - Timbrens bumpstops - Fozzy locked Kick hybrid front & rear axles - 4.62:1 - 32x11.5-15 BFG KM2 - 4 disc brakes - custom under bed storage boxes
quebecsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
meanbgreen

meanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond reputemeanbgreen has a reputation beyond repute
2nd gen such as mine is the same. the one that looks like a samurai in the states up to 1995. the new gen (3rd) has coils and totally dif body.
I will try and find references as I am goin off what I have learned so far with interchanging parts and what have ya with my Jimny. Besides the motor and transmission, many parts are interchangeable. Is all I am sayin, and yes it is kinda apain in tha A.. cuttin through all the japanese writing

Last edited by meanbgreen; 11-17-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #8
SkylinesSuck

SkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond repute
Please find the references, and I'm paying close attention meanbgreen. I need to learn the differences from somebody with experience.

And just FYI for everybody, the normal Jimny over here is a 0.66L 3 banger turbo with 4.10 gears for auto, and something like 4.93's (or something crazy like that) for manual, and I have no clue other than what meanbgreen said for transfer case gears. Also, our axles are a little narrower and the front one is weaker. We do have the "Seirra" model with the 1.3L and all the normal stuff in it, but it's rare. Tin tops are also the norm here, and 'verts are rare.
SkylinesSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #9
meanbgreen

Well when I get back I am gettin a manual (like chiltons) whether or not I can read it but pics say 1000words plus I will get my japanese buddy to translate it for me. As I want to crack this egg open for the zuk community.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
SkylinesSuck

SkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond reputeSkylinesSuck has a reputation beyond repute
I've got a T-case out of my old 550cc Jimny sitting here on the ground. Can I simply stick it in 4lo and spin it to see how many input turns vs output turns to determine the ratio?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
meanbgreen

I would think so.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
Ruby

Ruby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Don't think so, here's a link:

http://daniels.lumena.com/suzuki/ljsj_spec.htm

Looks like 3.0:1 possibly. I also thought many of them were the same as the 410, 2.5 low with 4:11 diffs. Lowest factory ratios were in the LJ's.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
SkylinesSuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
Don't think so, here's a link:

http://daniels.lumena.com/suzuki/ljsj_spec.htm

Looks like 3.0:1 possibly. I also thought many of them were the same as the 410, 2.5 low with 4:11 diffs. Lowest factory ratios were in the LJ's.
As far as the diff ratios go, the M/T gears are WAY steeper. I just changed from M/T to A/T axles and lost about 1000rpm going 75mph down the expressway.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
meanbgreen

I'll have to jack up my Jimny when I get back and do some counting

Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
SkylinesSuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
I've got a T-case out of my old 550cc Jimny sitting here on the ground. Can I simply stick it in 4lo and spin it to see how many input turns vs output turns to determine the ratio?
1:1 high, 2.6'ish:1 low range.

Do any of the kits out there not only lower the low range, but change the high range as well?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #16
SkylinesSuck

Quote:
I'll have to jack up my Jimny when I get back and do some counting
Meanbgreen, where are you at? Yokota? Misawa? Iwakuni?

Anyways
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
meanbgreen

Wish I was anywhere but Yokota. Not a bad place but powers make it to political

Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
Bowie Kid

Bowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Look on LJ10.com website. http://www.lj10.com It will answer a lot of these questions and give you bunches of info on mods, interchangeability, and such. Goes up through LJ series and Sj.
1990 Diahatsu Rocky 1.9td, Track/kick trans-tcase, 4.24's, Toys, yj's, front m/l shackle reverse, 33's, built in the ZOR shop.

[/IMG]
Bowie Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
SkylinesSuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie Kid View Post
Look on LJ10.com website. http://www.lj10.com It will answer a lot of these questions and give you bunches of info on mods, interchangeability, and such. Goes up through LJ series and Sj.

I looked on that site but couldn't find anything that applied to us. You know we are driving JA11's, right? Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place.

Like this...........

Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Ruby

Ruby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond reputeRuby has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
1:1 high, 2.6'ish:1 low range.

Do any of the kits out there not only lower the low range, but change the high range as well?
All the samurai t case gears lower both high and low range. Not sure on your JA 11 if the case is the same as a samurai. Your high range should be 1.5:1. Maybe an easy swap for you would be an SJ 30 case ?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #21
meanbgreen

another great question bout the transfer case. can't wait to get back to my jimny