Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Ruttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of light
Fuel cell and Wiring project

I am going to start taking pictures and getting started very very soon. Anything that yall want to see picture wise or how to wise? I want to make this very informative for everyone.

Hooter's Handwipe
Ruttdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
TX_ZUKI
Administrator

TX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond repute
yes, ( . )( . )

Good luck, hope all goes well.

87' Suzuki Samurai, 1.6 16V EFI-14 Bolt rear Locked, D44 Front Detroit Locker, 5.13 gears,Full Ext./Inter. Cage, 8:1 Transfer Gears, 39.5 Iroks on Trail Ready Beadlocks, Hydro Steering, Big Horn Air Shocks & linked!

TX_ZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Ruttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of light
Talking

for you anything... ( o ) ( o )

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 01-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Sally

Sally is a name known to allSally is a name known to allSally is a name known to allSally is a name known to allSally is a name known to allSally is a name known to all
uhhhhhhhh, what are you wiring?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Let me guess.....He is adding a fuel cell and then removing all the unwanted wires that he dont want under the hood.
Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
DesertZuki
Starting Over

DesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttdigger
...Anything that yall want to see picture wise or how to wise?...
The mounting. Not just the how-to, but where and why.
DesertZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

I am gutting ALL wires. I am starting with just the bare minimum... I will make lots of posts and pictures.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Ok the work started... here is the before.

and here is after removing ALL wires and the dash... I tried to keep the harness in tact as much as possible. (anyone want a wiring harness???)

It is amazing how much wire there is in a zuki. The metal that is down in the after pics is where the old dash mounted at the top. I bent it down and I am hoping that it will serve as a dash. Cutting holes for gagues and switches. I will weld some supports for it none the less. So far looks like it will work great. I have no need for the dash anymore.

tomorrow I am going to get to work on wiring up the necessities and grinding down some of the sharp points on the internal roll cage. More pics to follow.

Hooter's Handwipe

Last edited by Ruttdigger; 02-04-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

by the way I may need some help figuring out the battery tray. no support as of now and I am wondering what yall did to fix that problem... also anyone with a homemade dash post up some pics I want to see what you have going on.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
TX_ZUKI
Administrator

TX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_ZUKI
Fixed!
Get this dash from www.petropworks.com

87' Suzuki Samurai, 1.6 16V EFI-14 Bolt rear Locked, D44 Front Detroit Locker, 5.13 gears,Full Ext./Inter. Cage, 8:1 Transfer Gears, 39.5 Iroks on Trail Ready Beadlocks, Hydro Steering, Big Horn Air Shocks & linked!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Hey also does anyone know when you take the bypass button for the clutch/starter off if you can just start the truck without it? Most standards need a bypass for that but if i dont need it at all I wont use it.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Trying to stay cheap...

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
TX_ZUKI
Administrator

Quote:
Trying to stay cheap...
And look where that took you. just kidding!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
TX_ZUKI
Administrator

Quote:
by the way I may need some help figuring out the battery tray. no support as of now and I am wondering what yall did to fix that problem... also anyone with a homemade dash post up some pics I want to see what you have going on.
Go to Smilies, they have one in Fort Worth & Dallas, they have an awesome battery box for $11.00 you can weld/mount under your hood.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Kick arse.. thanks man.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hey also does anyone know when you take the bypass button for the clutch/starter off if you can just start the truck without it? Most standards need a bypass for that but if i dont need it at all I wont use it.
Take the wiring off the switch and and take a piece of wire and strip each end then put either end in the plug jumping the two together.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #17
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

there isnt anything to splice togethre anymore... there are NO wires left in the rig.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Man this is more of an undertaking than I thought... I guess having the "right tools" really make a difference. Took off the gas tank today and got some 30 amp switches and a 3 amp push button for the ignition. Of course I cant actually wire anything up till I get the new fuel cell put on. Pics to follow.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

I also found out something else yesterday... there was gas in the oil but no oil in the actual gas. The only oil was in the return line. What does that mean???

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Also I found 2 of those switches that we couldnt figure out what they were for. Look like tiny light switches in your house. Anyway they are hooked up to turn on and off the dash lights. All of them were hooked up that way. Very weird.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #21
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Quote:
there isnt anything to splice togethre anymore... there are NO wires left in the rig.
OK. I re-read your question and understand what you are asking now. That override switch is built into the harness and NOW that you dont have any wires in the rig it will not affect the new wiring you are about to put in unless you put it back in....

Old 02-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #22
OKIE ZUK

OKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond reputeOKIE ZUK has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, to the Smiley's battery box. I run one and love it. Couldn't have built one lighter or cheaper. # SRP50301 Robert
Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #23
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

thanks guys. that helps alot.

Hooter's Handwipe
Old 02-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #24
zorproducts
God blessed America

zorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond repute
I need all the info you can provide on the fuel cell as I am going that way myself in the tube buggy.
My
Brass shift sheets T-BRA & THONG, MY-SIDE1 & 2 CV kits, SNATCH "the best t-case cradle". TRAIL-GEAR Authorized Dealer. ZOR Bumpers! See that little set of scales over to the lower left? Give me reputation IF I HAVE helped you and I will be happy!
http://zuksoffroad.com

Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood!
zorproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #25
zorproducts
God blessed America

zorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond repute
assuming you still had gas in your tank the reason why it wasn't present anywhere else is because the mechanical pump may be in the process of failing so it won't hold the fuel in the main line to it. Because it is high it allows the fuel to flow back into the tank. The return line has a small check valve that is usually so plugged up that the pump has to push gas through it back into the tank. That is if you haven't removed the check valve if it isn't there then the reason why you had fuel in the return line was because the pump hasn't pushed that fuel up to the tank yet. You will always have fuel in the return line either way.
My
Brass shift sheets T-BRA & THONG, MY-SIDE1 & 2 CV kits, SNATCH "the best t-case cradle". TRAIL-GEAR Authorized Dealer. ZOR Bumpers! See that little set of scales over to the lower left? Give me reputation IF I HAVE helped you and I will be happy!
http://zuksoffroad.com

Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood!
zorproducts is offline   Reply With Quote