Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums This section was designed for all later year Zuks.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
WillyO

WillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond repute
TracKick Speedometer Re-calibration

My 1996 Geo Tracker is running a set of Goodyear LT245/75R-16s mounted on 16" steel wheels from a 2000 Grand Vitara. 1.6L engine, 5 speed tranny, 5.12 axles, etc. all stock). The problem is my actual speed is 5 mph for every 4 mph registered on the speedometer (e.g. I'm actually doing 50 when the speedo says I'm doing 40). Is there a way to re-calibrate the speedometer for the tire/wheel combo I'm running? Any help is appreciated.

Completed Mods:
2" body lift (Converted TJ Kit)
4sp MOD AT (AW372L - '92 Mitsubishi Montero)
Dana 300 ('84 Jeep CJ7)
1.5" Front Suspension Lift (Low Range Offroad)
Specialty Products EZ Cam XR +/-1.75 Camber Bolts (Horsepower Freaks)
Thumb Throttle (Homemade)
16x6.5 Steel Wheels ('00 Grand Vitara)
Goodyear Wrangler LT285x75Rx16" M+S.
WillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
Although you can re-adjust the tension spring on the back of the speedometer itself (it is set at the factory during assembly), this method does not make the speedometer reading exactly match or follow the odometer display.

Properly adjusted, a speedometer indicating 60 MPH will show the odometer turning one mile every miniute. Screw with the speedometer adjuster and, while the indicated speed will show corrected speed for your tire size, the odometer will not display accurate mileage.

That is the fallacy of all the speedometer adjustment posts that you run across in various Suzuki (and other) forums...

The RIGHT way to adjust your speedometer/odometer to a change of tire diameter is to have a set of new speedometer drive gears installed by a local speedometer shop. Check your local Yellow Pages, a nearby tire store or auto parts store for the location of a speedometer shop near you.

I hope that this helps!

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT Wagon
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
WillyO

WillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond reputeWillyO has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack View Post
The RIGHT way to adjust your speedometer/odometer to a change of tire diameter is to have a set of new speedometer drive gears installed by a local speedometer shop. Check your local Yellow Pages, a nearby tire store or auto parts store for the location of a speedometer shop near you.

I hope that this helps!
It does help Ack. I was thinking I needed to change out the gears but wasn't 100%, thanks.

I'm not liking the idea of paying someone to do something I'm more than capable of doing myself. Can I swap them out myself and if so, do you know what gear (PN#) to use?

Thanks again.

Completed Mods:
2" body lift (Converted TJ Kit)
4sp MOD AT (AW372L - '92 Mitsubishi Montero)
Dana 300 ('84 Jeep CJ7)
1.5" Front Suspension Lift (Low Range Offroad)
Specialty Products EZ Cam XR +/-1.75 Camber Bolts (Horsepower Freaks)
Thumb Throttle (Homemade)
16x6.5 Steel Wheels ('00 Grand Vitara)
Goodyear Wrangler LT285x75Rx16" M+S.
WillyO is offline   Reply With Quote