Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Tin top
Banned

Tin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these partsTin top is infamous around these parts
Question New to 1.3 engines, need rebuild advice

I have a rebuildable G13A from a '87 Samurai that I plan to drop in the tin top I'm currently restoring. I have already bought a Petroworks 40mm CV carb, and I plan to order a header, and exhaust after I rebuild the 1.3 engine. My plans are to use this Samurai for daily driving, and some mild off-road actions during the weekends. I would like to have a reliable engine, but still have good power for off roading. I'm leaning towards getting the Isky torquer cam, and 10:1 pistons, for sure!

What kind of after market internal engine parts are avail for the suzuki engine, and what is recomended?

This is my first 1.3 rebuild. Thanks in advance!

Tin top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Stafford01

Stafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond repute
I would just recommend calling sammypro or pming him in here. He builds samurai engines for a living. from mild to wild. http://www.sammypro.com

One of the many Proud sponsors of Crazysami's Great American zuk tour 2011

Stafford01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
240hpsammy
beer is the answer

240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute
x2, sammy pro is the guy to call.

MY BUILD THREAD

240hpsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
The High compression pistons will make a a big difference in power and torque. Granted it will still be a 1.3 and there;s limits, but it will completely change the way the rig runs.

Since you are running a CV, a good cam is an option. I wold have recommended ISKY, or Hawk, but now that delta is on the scene, and I've learned Reynolds machine has been building performance samurai engines and cams for years, I would do more research and calling the shops when it came to cams and what they can do for your rig.

as for the header, get a thorley or a calmini version. They are close to the same, but the quality is outstanding. The calmini, and thorley headers or "one-shots" meaning once you buy one, it will last the life of the engine, and probably end up on a 1.6 8v down the road, they are made of quality materials and parts.

I don't know how far the down the runners petroworks modifies the stock carbed intake. If it has not been egged out, or ported internally, I would do that, along with port matching. The stock carbed intake can either be a tiny straw , choking your engine, or a nicely balance flowing intake. All it takes is a little work with a flexible bit to the inside of the runners. Definitely port match.

If you are not having the head professionally ported/flowed ask around and see if you know anyone who can guide you through it. Small changes to the intake and head can make big differences on the outcome for you. read a bit, learn and then don;t be afrid to match your ports or do a little grinding.

With an adequate intake, a little port matching, and Hihg compression pistons, the 1.3 can be a blast to drive.

All of that being said,
My little 1.3 ran like a top. I didn't have a stock 1.3 to compare it to at first, I just knew it ran good and assumed it was a strong/newish engine. After pulling it down to swap the head onto my 1.6 we found it had high compression pistons installed, and the head was slightly ported.

After I cracked the head and saw the pistons, we all kicked back and said oh..(homer doah) so that was why it ran so strong. it would have ran even better with a good cam.

In the beginning, I did notice some detonation when I filled with bad gas. I didn't have to run on preium, but you could sure tell if you ended up with a fuel that had "a lower than advertised ocatane" I had the timing set way up(that's where it like to run) so I ended up backing the timing down just a hair to keep it out of detonation even with bad gas.

That's a lot to read, but IMHO the little 1,3 can be a really fun engine, and HC pistons make a big difference. I am thinking a cam tailored to those pistons we be that much better of a build.

Get yourself a narrow band (or a WB) if you have the coin, and a handful of jets. The 1,3 ran decent jetted withing a good range, but became a rocket when jetted "spot" on.

All of this is thanks to Sarge, he showed me how to really wake up the 1.3

So my vote is for HC, pistons and a cam, after calling Reynolds and Delta both to which cams they recommend for that setup. I don't know if Petroworks will help you jet or give you a base line, even though it's a PW unit Myron may help you find the right jetting.

if you are set on rebuilding a 1.3 ,the cams and pistons aren't that much added expense for what they give in return.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote