Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
joe dirt

joe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond repute
tracker 2door sas

well,..slowly getting started on the sas on my 94 tracker 5spd

plans are sami front spring over using rear springs with front leaves added,(thanks phloop and stafford)..picked up a set of 33x12.50 pro comp xterains of craigslist for $100
got these 15x10 black wheels off a cj5 for $60,..ive got 3 sets of rear coils to play with diff. heights
stock rubicon coils
stock tj coils
stock xj coils
also plan to make my own rear diff spacer using witfields design on his white track/kick
ill be using 2" wheel spacers in the front to match the factory rear end width (thanks bass man)
also got some 1" d-line spacers and poly bushings for the springs (thanks stafford)
last night i was able to weld the perches on,..now hopefully tonight i can make some shackles,..prolly gunna meake 2 sets, 5" and a set of 3"...that should give me a few options to try and match front height with rear height, as im not sure yet what the jeep coils will give me for height...anyways here are a few pics of what im working with...this will prolly be a slow build as im still driving this thing to work everyday to save on diesel costs, untill im ready to burn the factory stuff off the tracker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tracker.JPG (29.7 KB, 1344 views)
File Type: jpg tracker2.JPG (32.9 KB, 1322 views)
File Type: jpg welder.JPG (33.8 KB, 1319 views)
File Type: jpg front axle.JPG (39.4 KB, 1323 views)
File Type: jpg front axle2.JPG (34.0 KB, 1313 views)
File Type: jpg front spring pad.JPG (33.0 KB, 1310 views)

PROJECT TURD POLISHING BUILD THREAD
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=32461

87 sami, toy axles,529 gears,locked,yj's w/missing links,4-1 case, 35" km2s on trail ready beadlocks,16v swap
joe dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
joe dirt

joe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond reputejoe dirt has a reputation beyond repute
also forgot to add that the sami front came from a stocker that had less than 60k on the ticker,..so im pretty sure the 4wd hasnt been used much,..only cost me 1/2 gallon of r&r.....i plan to run the stock inners for a bit while i save up for harden axles
my tracker has 5.12's so ill be using the front third in the sami axle

also picked up a custom made hard top for free from suva over at zukiworld.

here are the spacers from bass man and stafford
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custom top.JPG (25.5 KB, 1308 views)
File Type: jpg spacers.JPG (28.8 KB, 1303 views)

87 sami, toy axles,529 gears,locked,yj's w/missing links,4-1 case, 35" km2s on trail ready beadlocks,16v swap

Last edited by joe dirt; 04-03-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Jordy927

Jordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond repute
Just helped a friend do this to his 93 4-door
Its on a stock rear axle and a samy front too, with the front center out of the kick installed in the samy axle. Its a PITA to fab up, but it will be worth it later, especially when he gets his yota diffs put in.
Jordy927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Fordzuki

Fordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond repute
Cool build. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Is the back wall of that top a sami windshield frame?
Fordzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
joe dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzuki View Post
Cool build. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Is the back wall of that top a sami windshield frame?
its all 16ga sheetmetel,..the window itself is from a late 80's nissan truck, uses rear seatbelt holes for mounting,and and factory holes for the back piece,..ive got the top for it as well its the same steel,..uses facry holes for mounting as well

Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
joe dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy927 View Post
Just helped a friend do this to his 93 4-door
Its on a stock rear axle and a samy front too, with the front center out of the kick installed in the samy axle. Its a PITA to fab up, but it will be worth it later, especially when he gets his yota diffs put in.
currious,..what was a pita to fab up?...only hard thing i can think of would be the front hangers...what issues did you run into?

im thinking this will be pretty simple

Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Jordy927

Jordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond reputeJordy927 has a reputation beyond repute
Front hangars and keeping everything straight. As it is the driver side spring is kinda cocked inward. But we used Jeep leafs, and we screwed up a little by making the front hangars a welded on boxed design instead of doing what the sammies did and putting an I beam hanger up front and fixed hangar at the rear.

Cutting out the IFS brackets is a pain too...not hard....just a pain to do.
Jordy927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
joe dirt

spent about an hour tonight making cuts and a few welds...i caught the guys at work tossing these brackets in the dumpster,..they are what bobcat attachments are shipped with bolted to heavy duty pallets during shipping,..i tossed a bunch in a box and took them home,..i knew id be able to use them up somewhere,...also noticed 2 chunks of receiver stock getting tossed,...of course i grabbed that as well,..about 30" each

so i used my bandsaw to make them work for rear spring hangers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brackets.JPG (42.7 KB, 1194 views)
File Type: jpg bandsaw.JPG (32.1 KB, 1190 views)
File Type: jpg spring hanger.JPG (30.6 KB, 1184 views)
File Type: jpg spring hanger mock.JPG (24.5 KB, 1185 views)

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
joe dirt

sorry for the bad pics, they are taken from my cell phone in a poorly lit garage...

got them welded up and they look good for free...i plan to ramp the back end once they are welded on the frame,...ill also be making a set of shackles out of this free steel

so this is my idea for my front shackle hangers,..ill be using one of the tubes of receiver stock for the stock sami hangers (these were sawed off of phloops sami when he did his yj swap at zee's)
of course ill be extending the frame with 2x4 tubing but you get the jist of it,..im goung to wait till i get the axle under the tracker before i weld the front hangers in place

few more pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring hanger welded.JPG (32.7 KB, 1187 views)
File Type: jpg front hanger mock.JPG (26.1 KB, 1190 views)
File Type: jpg front hanger mock2.JPG (27.6 KB, 1187 views)
File Type: jpg front mock3.JPG (25.6 KB, 1183 views)

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
Fordzuki

Fordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome! Free is always nice.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
CamoZuk

CamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond reputeCamoZuk has a reputation beyond repute
looks good so far, i'm interested to see how you beef up the frame for the front hanger..i've heard that the crumple zones in the front frame rails need to be reinforced.
CamoZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
joe dirt

im assuming by "crumple zone" your refering the the accordian style frame horns found on alot of newer trucks,..these trackers and sidekicks dont have them,..but i will be beefing up the front a bit,..ill be mounting a reciever mount winch up front and some pull points

Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Stafford01

Stafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond repute
Letting you know the other bushing you asked for will be there tommorrow. Shipped them today.

Can't wait to watch this build thread.

One of the many Proud sponsors of Crazysami's Great American zuk tour 2011

Stafford01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
joe dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford01 View Post
Letting you know the other bushing you asked for will be there tommorrow. Shipped them today.

Can't wait to watch this build thread.

thanks!!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Looking good. The only thing I have to add is you need to sand and paint that rusty metal before you put my left over wanna be mall crawler parts onto it.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe dirt View Post
here are the spacers from bass man and stafford
Bought time, huh?

I plated my whole frame really well with some 1/8" plate, cuz I had 5-6 cracks in the frame.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #17
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe dirt View Post
plans are sami front spring over using rear springs with front leaves added.
You took the bottom 2 leafs off the rear and replaced them with the bottom 2 from the front, right?? I just cut the overload spring down and threw them in... The passenger side is about fully compressed right now (only have 2 1/2" of up-travel)...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
joe dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
You took the bottom 2 leafs off the rear and replaced them with the bottom 2 from the front, right?? I just cut the overload spring down and threw them in... The passenger side is about fully compressed right now (only have 2 1/2" of up-travel)...
got the two bottom leafs from a stock front set (thanks stafford)

i just pulled the overload off and put the two bottom leafs from the front right there...didnt bother with pulling any more of the stock rear leafs...figured it help the pack last longer

hears the bastard pack made with rears and fronts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear leaf pack.JPG (48.6 KB, 1130 views)
File Type: jpg rear leaf pack2.JPG (45.0 KB, 1128 views)

Last edited by joe dirt; 04-08-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
Stafford01

Stafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond repute
That's exactly how i run mine. Works awesome lots of flex.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #20
Bass Man

Looks good.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #21
joe dirt

got a little done this morning,..had to clean up the garage to get the tracker in here and able to work around it

i was praying that i didnt have to break out the torch,...but the back a-arm bolts just wouldnt budge, and i was loosing patience, so i said screw it, and broke out the torch!!!!

still need to pull the front bumper, pull the struts, clean up the frame rails etc...but im taking a break for a few hours....heres a few pics of where its at...

backed in and ready for teardown...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sas2.JPG (48.1 KB, 1079 views)
File Type: jpg sas1.JPG (45.1 KB, 1076 views)
File Type: jpg sas3.JPG (68.7 KB, 1078 views)

Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
joe dirt

and to the point of no return...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sas4.JPG (79.1 KB, 1072 views)
File Type: jpg sas5.JPG (54.5 KB, 1076 views)

Old 04-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
joe dirt

goodbye ifs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sas8.JPG (72.7 KB, 1071 views)
File Type: jpg sas6.JPG (83.6 KB, 1069 views)
File Type: jpg sas7.JPG (80.1 KB, 1065 views)

Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
Fordzuki

Awesome. Glad to see you digging in to this thing.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #25
Stafford01

Awesome. Can't wait to follow this thread.