Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
GRoper

GRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to all
2.3 Areio auto swap questions

I want to use this engine with a volvo aw71 trans does a 2000 tracker 4-speed bell housing bolt to this trans? If not could I use a adaptor of some sort? Also I have read I need 2.0 oil pan and water pipes are these parts the same as the 1.8 engine that I already have? The plan is to run this combo with a toyota t-case any info or opinions would be great Thanks!
GRoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
prowler

prowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond repute
See if this helps any

http://web.me.com/lampright/Samurai/LWB_Samurai.html
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
zukinut

zukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond repute
Im doin the swap but gonna run toyota r151f turbo trans with dual cases. Shoot me a pm. Ive done tons of research.

Will
zukinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
GRoper

GRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to allGRoper is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Yeah that helped my 1.8 pan and ect. will work. Motor should be here next week and Iam looking at some trannys I dont want to pull trigger on a trans and find out bell housing wont work does anyone know if 2.0 4- speed bell will bolt to the volvo aw71 I know the early track 1.6 3 speed does but I havent found any info for 2.0
Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
GRoper

Talked with Trail Tough today and it looks like bell housing will work and they had one so its getting shipped to me. Now I need to find trans & t-case I was thinking yota 23 spline case would bolt right up but that is not the case I need to fab a adapter. So my next question is where can I get a 23 spline coupler
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
zukinut

zukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond reputezukinut has a reputation beyond repute
try marlin, he may have something
Old 03-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
What are you doing for an exhaust manifold?

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
GRoper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnm View Post
What are you doing for an exhaust manifold?
Hopefully 2.0 tubular but I haven't found one yet. I think they come on 2.0l cali emission vitara. If not may have to make something
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
I got lucky and found one on ebay for 100. Haven't seen one since October. I think you could get someone to make you one, you may be able to use your 1.8 manifold to see how much clearance you need for the steering shaft, I was surprised at how much I had to dent mine in to make it clear.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
zukinut

I may try to use the one from the aerio, not sure yet but i may be able to redo a couple of the tubes.

JRNM what are you doing about the electrical.

Will
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
jrnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukinut View Post
I may try to use the one from the aerio, not sure yet but i may be able to redo a couple of the tubes.

JRNM what are you doing about the electrical.

Will
I took the easy way out and went with Trail Tough. I am out in the middle of bfe and have no support other than the web and the phone. Glad I did, but it is doable if you have a wiring diagram and know what to do without.....I was wondering if your exhaust on the 2.3 is tubluar pipe or is it cast, if it is tubular pipe, what about sawing the pipes off about 4" or maybe even closer to he flange then making your own header with say one from a 1.3 or a 1.6 sawn off in the same manner, I think it could at least be done by someone who makes custom headers or exhaust. You could then tuck the #4 pipe in enough to clear the steering rod. ??? I looked at a 2.3 aerio in a salvage yard and doubt that it would be usable in a samurai, but at least it was a pipe exhaust. If you get someone that says they have an exhaust manifold for sale, make sure it is a 3 bolt flange that has the cat converter bolted directly to the end of the 3 bolt header flange followed by another o2 sensor downstream.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
jrnm

also I have a welding shop that is going to make a bracket for the psc 1600 tc steering pump, I could do it but just had my shoulder repaired and can't do jack with it for another month or more.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #13
GRoper

Quote:
I got lucky and found one on ebay for 100. Haven't seen one since October. I think you could get someone to make you one, you may be able to use your 1.8 manifold to see how much clearance you need for the steering shaft, I was surprised at how much I had to dent mine in to make it clear.
The 1.8 that I have is huge and cast I dont see it working but when I get there I'll give it a try. Are you useing both o2 sensors if so where did you mount the second
Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
jrnm

from what I have read, you really need the 2 sensors, I am in the end stages of putting mine in, before I had surgery, I plan on putting it in the header collector, it came with a port so I will use it. I have heard they will not run well without it.

The cast manifold is huge and will not work for anything other than a template to make a header. I have done parts search for the tubular manifold and no one will answer back, I was very lucky to have found mine on ebay, but I have never seen another. They are very scarce. This is probably why this swap is not more common.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Any pics of that tubular header?
Ned Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
jrnm

let me see what I can do, I may have a picture of the motor hanging on the hoist, if not I will take a picture, it really looks just like a pipe header from aftermarket, all the others are cast iron and usually have cracks in them....I wonder if they would still be available new from suzuki?

"Stercus accidit"
Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
jrnm

this photo was robbed from aftermarket 4x4's conversion

"Stercus accidit"

Last edited by jrnm; 03-30-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: giving photo credits to aftermarket 4x4
Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
zukinut

JRNM

What did trail tough charge for the electrical. What did you do for a radiator.

Will
Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
prowler

prowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond reputeprowler has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
JRNM

Will
A 3-Core radiator with the inlet and outlet move accordingly should work.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
jrnm

Quote:
JRNM

Will
Will, I bought the entire kit, the price of everything these days seems way too high, but I think every generation has said the same thing. TT wiring harness looks very good, the only beef I have with the 2.0 conversion kit is that it doesn't come with instructions. Everytime I called Brent, he was more than happy to answer my questions though. Brent is very informative and I feel like the price I paid for it is worth the time and the phone call, it is a toll free call and he will call back on his dime as well.

The radiator supplied with the kit looks like it is as large as will fit in a stock samurai. Get as large of a electric fan as will fit. The hoses they recommend will fit, but I found that they really take some persuading and lots of push.

TT will do just the wiring or whatever you need, you don't have to buy the entire kit.

I have gotten along so well with them that I am buying the trailslayer kit for my zuk. My visa has melted with all the money I have sent TT's way this month. They have a new addition to the kit that is not advertised. It will allow you to keep most of the bed and rear of the samurai. We wheel when the weather is nasty so I can keep my full top and carry my tools out of site now. I understand mine will be the first production model.

If anyone thinks I am pimping TT, I am, they are top notch and ready to help. Brent never asks if I bought a product from him when I call. He has experience putting the 2.3 motor in as well.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeNed Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
JRNM - Thanks for the pic of the manifold. Nice to have a visual reference for the part.
Ned Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #22
GRoper

Quote:
Is your steering box inboard or out Iam just wonder how much clearance for steering is needed the pic you posted showed shaft angling in and mine is about same angle only out the other way
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #23
jrnm

I am using the sidekick box, it is inboard, the header clearance issue is very close to where it comes out of the firewall, unless you moved that part of the steering out would be the only gain there. Also the cast iron header will hit the frame, which could probably be plated and gusseted, but I would not trust it to hold.

If I had an old 1.3 header I would be tempted to try and rebuild it to work, it would take considerable time to do but I think it would be the easiest to make work, it would require cutting and spreading each tube. If you have your engine out of the rig would be the best to start there. Cut the flange in between each port and use a rosebud tip and work it slow. You could also lay them face to face and see if any bolt holes are common. Probably the center would be the place to start then work to the outer ports. It may even require building an adapter flange. You would not want a coated or chrome header if you have to do any welding on.

"Stercus accidit"
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
zukinut

Think i found a way to get the header on the relative cheapness.

Ill keep ya posted.

Will
Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #25
jrnm

Quote:
Think i found a way to get the header on the relative cheapness.

Ill keep ya posted.

Will
good luck on that one, I didn't realize how lucky I was to find one on ebay. Local welding shop fabbed me a bracket for the 1600 T/C power steering pump, its going to cost a small fortune, but I will have a strong reliable pump. It looks hell for stout and cost 3 hours time for the guy. He said probably 1-1 1/2 hour to build another one. Always takes longer for the first one. I could of done it myself later if I had of been more patient, but I want to be able to wheel some this summer.

"Stercus accidit"