Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
weeha66

weeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond repute
ECM removal

I am junking out a '90 sidekick. I would like to save the ECM and harness. How do you go about removing it?
weeha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
unplug it

seriously it is located under the glove box usually, unplug everything under the dash and under the hood, if it plugs into the ecm, you will need it.

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
better get the intake, TBI and all the sensors as well because 89-90 is different then the rest.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
gr8games

gr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
better get the intake, TBI and all the sensors as well because 89-90 is different then the rest.
i need to get around to finding one.

87 samurai, 2in lift shackles, 1.6 8v, 2in straight pipe exhaust with a glass pack, and 235/75/15 tires
gr8games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
bustnbears

bustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond reputebustnbears has a reputation beyond repute
Get everything that is attatched to the harness as far as sensors and what not like Billsbar said. Yep you might not ever need most of it, but if you do you will have it. Just take your time and it will all come out without cutting it at all.

If "GUNS" kill people, do "Pencils" misspell words? There are some very ignorant people in the world.

bustnbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
The ECM is located in behind the drivers side speaker in the dash. You can access the ECM bracket by removing the speaker grille and speaker. There will be 2 silver bolts with a combo 10mm/phillips head that point back towards the drivers seat. Remove those bolts, lift the bracket and ECM up, push it forward towards the firewall, and the bracket and ECM will drop down so you can remove it from the bracket (there are 2 bolts with phillips heads that hold the ECM to the bracket).
Oh, it is also easier to drop the ECM and bracket out if you take the fuse block loose from the bottom of the bracket (remove the 2 phillips head bolts that hold the fuse block to the bottom of the bracket).

To remove the wiring harness, you need to pull the dash out. So you could do that before you remove the ECM. There are bolts on the topside of the dash (under the plastic covers) and the bottom side of the dash that hold the dash in.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
weeha66

weeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond reputeweeha66 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like it might be a PITA. I'm still going to pull it out. Probably never use it but, you never know....
weeha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
1mad zuk

1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute
In the wrecking yards I take a SHARP razor knife and cut the plastic on the dash Makes my life easier to get the puter out.
1mad zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mad zuk View Post
In the wrecking yards I take a SHARP razor knife and cut the plastic on the dash Makes my life easier to get the puter out.
Really? Why do you have such a hard time getting it out without cutting the dash? Once the fuse block is loose and you take the speaker out and the two bolts out that hold the ECM bracket, it will drop right out. I can have one out in under 5 minutes, using that method.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
1mad zuk

1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhiranger View Post
Really? Why do you have such a hard time getting it out without cutting the dash? Once the fuse block is loose and you take the speaker out and the two bolts out that hold the ECM bracket, it will drop right out. I can have one out in under 5 minutes, using that method.
Because I don't care about the dash. And the whole fuse block ,relay and bracket come out. I didn't say it was hard. I said it was fastest. And it only takes a few minutes.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
skyhiranger

Quote:
Because I don't care about the dash. And the whole fuse block ,relay and bracket come out. I didn't say it was hard. I said it was fastest. And it only takes a few minutes.
Where/how are you cutting the dash to make ECM removal faster? Sounds like you are doing the same steps I do, except you cut the dash and don't remove the fuse block. I'd bet I can take out (actually just remove one and loosen the other) the 2 fuse block screws faster than I could cut the dash. But, whatever works best.
Oh yeah, I just remembered, I also usually take 2 or 3 of the screws out that hold the lower part of the dash to the crossbrace.....that way I can pull the dash out slightly and get either a wrench or a socket and ratchet on the 2 bolts that hold the ECM bracket to the crossbrace. That way I don't have to work through the speaker hole or in the tight space between the dash and crossbrace. Even with those extra 2 or 3 bolts, it still doesn't take any time at all to drop the ECM out.....plus I don't ruin the dash in the process.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
1mad zuk

Quote:
Where/how are you cutting the dash to make ECM removal faster? Sounds like you are doing the same steps I do, except you cut the dash and don't remove the fuse block. I'd bet I can take out (actually just remove one and loosen the other) the 2 fuse block screws faster than I could cut the dash. But, whatever works best.
Oh yeah, I just remembered, I also usually take 2 or 3 of the screws out that hold the lower part of the dash to the crossbrace.....that way I can pull the dash out slightly and get either a wrench or a socket and ratchet on the 2 bolts that hold the ECM bracket to the crossbrace. That way I don't have to work through the speaker hole or in the tight space between the dash and crossbrace. Even with those extra 2 or 3 bolts, it still doesn't take any time at all to drop the ECM out.....plus I don't ruin the dash in the process.
Cut the dash from the speaker to the top of the dash vent.A sharp razor knife. Like a hot knife in butter. Wanna race. It's a trackick who cares about meessing up the dash. In a week it's smashed and melted down.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
skyhiranger

Quote:
Cut the dash from the speaker to the top of the dash vent.A sharp razor knife. Like a hot knife in butter. Wanna race. It's a trackick who cares about meessing up the dash. In a week it's smashed and melted down.
I guess I'll have to time it, the next time I pull an ECM.

People probably used to think the same thing about destroying samurais, when they pulled parts.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
1mad zuk

Quote:
I guess I'll have to time it, the next time I pull an ECM.

People probably used to think the same thing about destroying samurais, when they pulled parts.
My moto is trackick's must DIE so Samurais can LIVE.