Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Socal_ZuK

Socal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond repute
Tuning a carb on an 86 sami

My samurai seems to be running rough i think the tuning on it is out. I have a feeling that the a/r is to lean and the ideal screw is turned up to make up for is. what is the best way to go about fixing this problem.
Socal_ZuK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
JasonR

JasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond repute
Check timing, check for vacuum leaks (most common problem) verify that the choke is fully closed. Get it down to proper idle RPM, drill out or tap out the rod that is covering the idle mixture jet needle. Remove the air intake to the top of the carb so you can hear the air. (the following is what I do since I don't have a exhaust sniffer) I back the screw all the way off then screw it in till I hear a difference on the idle and air going through the venturi then I back it off one revolution. More than likely though it is a vacuum leake somewhere.

JasonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Socal_ZuK

Socal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond reputeSocal_ZuK has a reputation beyond repute
the mixture screw is tapped already. the timing is spot on and the hoses are all connected
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Remove carb from intake and throw carb as far as you can. Remove intake and send to MY for the core for an MS2 intake. Forget about finding a used HD carb unless you know some one with a known good carb, other wise just get a new carb.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Fastspec2

Fastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond reputeFastspec2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by phloop View Post
Remove carb from intake and throw carb as far as you can. Remove intake and send to MY for the core for an MS2 intake. Forget about finding a used HD carb unless you know some one with a known good carb, other wise just get a new carb.

+1
the stock carb sucks for making HP, the weber sucks for wheeling, I like the 4 carb setup because the stock manifold was desighned to not work and I'm not a fan of anything that keeps it in use. But thats my opinion and alot of people really like the myside setup.
Fastspec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
gr8games

gr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond repute
only problem with the MS2 is that he is in California and still has to deal with the smog nazis.

87 samurai, 2in lift shackles, 1.6 8v, 2in straight pipe exhaust with a glass pack, and 235/75/15 tires
gr8games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
kabob

kabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8games View Post
only problem with the MS2 is that he is in California and still has to deal with the smog nazis.

you might also want to check your egr system, take it off and give it a good cleaning ...... and chances are if you are going to have to mess with the mixer screw to get it to run right he is already screwed with the smog nazis those carb are great when they are brand new but put some years on them and they become almost impossible to get right again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephrael View Post
This is the greatest thread in the history of threads. Thank you guys so much.

kabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Socal_ZuK

ya i got it passed smog it just seems like the mixture went wacked lately. Also when i floor it and let off the throttle takes like 3 secs before the rpms fall
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
JasonR

JasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond repute
Check the direction of the diaphrams in the vacuum lines. Sounds like one maybe backwards or a line is hooked up wrong on the drivers side of the carb.

JasonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Socal_ZuK

Finally found the problem but now i gotta adjust the idle and air fuel ration. The vacum line to the bottom of the intake tube was not attached. The thing it connects to in the intake had fallen out into the air box. runs alot smoother but still rough