Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
steve-0

steve-0
yj spring length

how much longer are yj springs than the stock sammy rears?
can you use the original spring hanger and just make longer shackles on the rear to fit yjs or are they too long?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Itsmejoe231
Administrator

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
To long. I think they are around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 inches longer that stock Sami rear springs (dont remember right off hand). But what does work well in there are missing links. Here is a picture of mine with stock chevy rear leaf shackles. This also moves you rear axle back about 5~ inches.

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
HardLuk

HardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond repute
The YJ springs are 6" longer than stock Samurai rear spings....You can use the ORINGINAL spring hanger location to mount YJ springs, BUT you will have to RELOCATE the gas tank.

The tank is so close to the rear axle as is that by using the YJ springs WITHOUT an aftermarket/homemade spring bracket the axle will move back causing complications.

If you plan on extending wheelbase rearwards, then go for it, but if you are looking at keeping things near stock I would atleast buy a kit.

Trail Tough makes a slick kit for YJ rear (Missing Link)...Sky also makes a good alternative for less$.

Nate
"The point of spring under is better control. It has improved my handling and control a huge amount. My last lift was a 6" spoa with mudder tires, that was a pain in the butt to control, wandered all over the road, bump steer like you cant believe, rattled, shook, bounced, jiggled, everything but julienne fries." -- rkteckt

HardLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
jimmyroyse

jimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond repute
from the zu;
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,31360.0.html

updated with actual spring lengths with the weight of vehicle on them

spring specs:
weighted measurements are for stock configuration leaf packs in their stock locations (front springs in front, rear springs in rear)

rear springs (all measurements are taken from the center of the eyes)
38 1/2" eye to eye -no weight on spring
39 1/2" eye to eye -vehicle weight on springs

locating pin is 19 1/4" back from front eye -no weight on spring
locating pin is 19 3/8" back from front eye -vehicle weight on springs

locating pin is 20" forward from rear eye -no weight on spring
locating pin is 20 1/8" forward from rear eye -vehicle weight on springs

front springs (all measurements are taken from the center of the eyes)
36 1/2" eye to eye -no weight on spring
37" eye to eye -vehicle weight on springs

locating pin is 18 1/4" back from front eye -no weight on spring
locating pin is 18 3/8" back from front eye -vehicle weight on springs

locating pin is 18 1/2" forward from rear eye -no weight on spring
locating pin is 18 5/8" forward from rear eye -vehicle weight on springs

with stock vehicle weight on the springs, both sets, when put in the front, will set basically flat.

yj springs;
flat length on a stock YJ is 45", 22.5" each way from the eye to the center pin
jimmyroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
bigflex

bigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond reputebigflex has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-0
can you use the original spring hanger
to answer this ? no you will need a wider hanger opening because the stock springs are 2" wide and yj's are 2 1/2" wide. i think the others have answered your other ?s
Old 09-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Rock4xFab
Master Fabricator Vendor

Rock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond repute
Jim I am not sure where you got your measurments from but all YJ's are 43" eye to eye new.. the only ones I have that measure different are some 4" lifted yj's and they are 1.25" shorter. All the rest we have are 43"
Rock4xFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
jimmyroyse

jimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond repute
well that will teach me............ I copied that from some other page..
jimmyroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
HardLuk

HardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond repute
Rockrat:

Not sure how you got your measurements (and believe me, I know you are good at measuring), but...The YJ springs sit closer to 46" long under the truck. I have measured mine both on and off the truck.

The YJ's are MORE than noticeably longer than stock springs. At only 43" companies would not even bother using Missing Link type Shackles for some of the YJ kits out there.

Just my .2

Nate

P.S.
I am going to go measure my springs to confirm this, but I am fairly sure if memory serves me right.
"The point of spring under is better control. It has improved my handling and control a huge amount. My last lift was a 6" spoa with mudder tires, that was a pain in the butt to control, wandered all over the road, bump steer like you cant believe, rattled, shook, bounced, jiggled, everything but julienne fries." -- rkteckt

HardLuk is offline   Reply With Quote