Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Nuts

Nuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Rear steer w/yota???

I'm about to set up a front yota axle to be a rear steer axle. The plan is 30 splines,flanges and upgraded knuckle bolts. I know somebody has tried this before,so any tips, tricks, do's or don'ts?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
zukiWilson

zukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond repute
Check this centered, rear steer Toyota axle out, I think Ruefab would probably be able to answer all of your questions on a rear steer Toyota axle: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=ruefab (sorry if I'm not supposed to hyperlink).

I really wish a vendor would sell affordable knuckle balls for the Toyota axles. It would make fabbing up stuff like a rear steer Toy axle much easier and you wouldn't have to salvage some knuckle balls from a front axle.
Build Thread
zukiWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Godzuki86

Godzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond reputeGodzuki86 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiWilson View Post
Check this centered, rear steer Toyota axle out, I think Ruefab would probably be able to answer all of your questions on a rear steer Toyota axle: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=ruefab (sorry if I'm not supposed to hyperlink).

I really wish a vendor would sell affordable knuckle balls for the Toyota axles. It would make fabbing up stuff like a rear steer Toy axle much easier and you wouldn't have to salvage some knuckle balls from a front axle.
lmk when you find this out too. I would love to buy some knuckles to build a wider, center chunk'd front for my big zuk out of a rear axle. an electriic hydro pump would work well on the rear too. a buddy of mine has an uncle with a huggge swamp buggy and he runs rocks and the elec hydro pump and it works awsome!
Godzuki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Nuts

Nuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Checked out the link, and as much as i hate to say it...pirate does have a ton of good info. I added that thread to my favs so i can easily watch his updates. Now I guess my next question is where can I get 2 long side inners cut down? I was just going to run a normal front in the rear untill I was sure everything would hold, because I didn't want to spend to money to get the shafts cut and have them break.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
DRbeat

DRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond reputeDRbeat has a reputation beyond repute
nice, I'd like to see how you do I've always been interested in rear steer and cutting/turning brakes. I'd like to do something like that in the future but so hard to find front yota axles. I don't know why rear steer or cutting brakes aren't more popular.
DRbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
rockmike
Krawler

rockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond repute
I was building custom steering stops this weekend on my toy front housing.I measured the angle in wich the birf moves and i got just under 38* out of it so I set my bumps at 36*on rear steer I think I would limit them down to around 30*in a attempt to save the stress on the birfs.

imo pretty marginal, in a zuk I say hell yeah it should hold up.Anything over 3500 lbs I would be real sceptical.We transfer alot of weight to the back, lots of stress on the rear end.

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

There are obstacles and there are obstacles with consequences.....

Zuk people rule!
in Honor of our fallen brothers.R.I.P. brothers
pie
zero
VB
I'd rather be out wheelin thinkin about God,than sittin in a church on Sunday thinkin about wheelin.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
WileECoyote

WileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond reputeWileECoyote has a reputation beyond repute
They just did a rear steer on a toyota front axle on extreme 4x4 show. You can go to powerblocktv.com and I think you can download that show. It was very interesting. They cut and turned the knuckles/balls a little to maintain proper caster or camber. If I remember correctly they made it a high pinion, by rotating the third, and then cutting the dome loose on the back of the axle, and rotating it to match the ring gear side. It all looked real easy.

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Nuts

I found a place to cut down my inners, but looks like this will be on hold untill I get a trailer...
Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Esam

Esam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond reputeEsam has a reputation beyond repute
Ruff Stuff Off Road has them in development and will release their HD knuckle balls in a few weeks. Price is going to be around $150 each I believe. When I said HD, these are supposed to be a HUGE improvement over the stock balls. Check out their site.

Quote:

'88 Sami, 103" wb, Rock Block, 8:1 case, rear disco, 39.5" Iroks, Toy axles, 5:29 gears, ARB, spool, full hydro steering, 16" Sway-Away's front and rear, Currie Anti-rock sway bar, burning stank gas, Spider 9's on the way.....
Esam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
wierdmarvin

wierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond reputewierdmarvin has a reputation beyond repute
I know its not yota but if you want front and rear stear get a dana 44 from early 80 wagoneer and mid 70 wagoneer and you have two offset axles for the suzuki transfercase. This is what i plan to do someday when i have time and cash.

youtube quote "Wise man say "dont go where little Zuki go" I've seen others try but my little Zuki is to light and I cant pull or wench you out so I'll have to leave ya there I warned ya but ya didnt listen......its going to be dark soon.....and cold........Good luck......I'll try to send help "

wierdmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
FordCustom

FordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond repute
i was also considering doing rear steer in my zuk using yotas... i'm thinkin rotating the 3rd and cap will be easiest..

FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
Joe Edge

Joe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond repute
just use knuckle axles and ditch the yota rear idea, too much work.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Nuts

Knuckle axles?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
Scott410
ZK Moderator

Scott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
Knuckle axles?
I was curious too.

Scott410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
Joe Edge

Joe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Edge has a reputation beyond repute
axles with 'c on them for a balljoint or kingpin
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
FordCustom

FordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond repute
ok... thats why i want to use a yoda front.. they have that + the rest of the parts... and i have 3 of them..

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustom View Post
ok... thats why i want to use a yoda front.. they have that + the rest of the parts... and i have 3 of them..
X2, I'm looking at using what I have and besides that I'd just like to see how well a rear steer yota will hold up
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #18
kabob

kabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond repute
why dont you just take some dana 44 "c"s and weld them onto a toy rear axle Ive seen the 44 c's on a toy front what would stop it on the rear ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephrael View Post
This is the greatest thread in the history of threads. Thank you guys so much.

kabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #19
Nuts

I don't know personaly, but everyone says a hopped up 44 is weaker than a hopped up yota. So that is why,and also once again, I have most of the yota stuff and just want to build a rear steer yota...
Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
FordCustom

anyways... i was thinking of using an elec. hydro. pump off of a boat or small ditchwitch.. i have an magnetic switch i could use to tell me when it is centered and use a valve body off of a tractor.. when my ankle heals up and i'm able to get back out there i will see what i can round up..

Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Bill (Hidious4x4) has done Sammy rear steers and uses a electric ram rear and full hydro front. 33's with Spidertrax and TT axles.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
Nuts

I was going to get another PSC ram to match the one I have up front and run it from the pump I have now. But with my trailer getting stolen and X-mas closing in I might have to wait untill next winter...
Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
moveaside

moveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond reputemoveaside has a reputation beyond repute
Cash for clunkers brought in some newer landcruisers believe it or not so the front aren't as impossible to find.
Bang for buck I would run a custom housing there less work in the end and more abilility to hold up. Ruff Stuff is a good source to look into right now.
moveaside is offline   Reply With Quote