Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
RP-Zuki

RP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond repute
Round two

Alright, been at this for awhile now (started sometime around November or so). I first built the sami, with a plan to keep it mild and just to wheel it. Came across a heck of a deal for some Toyota axles, so the swap was on. Just kind of dove into this thing, and have been doing lots of learning along the way.

Came down to the shop looking like this.

Was my dd through highschool. After that, it sat, collecting dust behinds my parents house for about 4 years or so, when I decided I wanted to do something with it. It had seen plenty of abuse as a stocker rocker. Took it everywhere it could, and some it couldn't. Rolled plenty of times. Had a buddy rear end me coming down some steep trails (younger, er). So I started hacking it up a little.

Then put a bolt on SPOA kit on it, got some 33x13.50 ltbs. Spool for the rear. Extended shock mounts, moved the gas tank up and above the frame. Put that goofy roll bar on that some of yall have gotten a decent chuckle from, some other misc doo-dads (6.5 t-case gears, twin sticks) and thats how it sat for a very short time. Took it out twice, but out of fear of that "roll bar" I made, I didn't push it very hard at all.

Then came across some Toyota axles (thanks to Hardluck). JK-Fab basically took over work on the axles. I took em apart, then brought them to his place and he did his magic.

Jeff doing some work here at my shop:

Painted up:

Installed using Toyota offset rear leafs, with some YJ leafs mixed in:

Decent departure angle:

Picked up the rear, and dropped off the front for Jeff. For the front, he installed the knuckle ball gussets and steering stop gussets, truss, and diff armor.

Installed:

RP-Zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
RP-Zuki

RP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond reputeRP-Zuki has a reputation beyond repute
With new high steer

After stepping back and taking a look, and trying to figure how to mount the Toyota IFS box.... I decided I needed a frame stretch. Since I was going to stretch it, might as well get a good amount of wheelbase out of it, so this is what I started with as mock up:

Little over the 102" WB mark right there. Also puts my fat ass, and the drivetrain right in the middle of the rig. Thought this might be a good thing, but guess I'll find out soon enough.

Frame extended:

Purchased some spring hangers and shackle hangers from Dan over at Ruff Stuff specialties. Awesome guy over there.

Plan is to use XJ leaf springs with a missing link shackle. So, figured out where it needed to go, and got the front shackle hanger mounted:

Rear hanger still needs to be burned on, but its been marked and I know where it goes:
Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
RP-Zuki

Also did lots of small things on the side. Tuned up the motor with all new normal wear items. Installed a header:

105 amp alt:

TC high flow P/S pump:

No pic, but moving the battery to the rear of the Zuk.

Lots of other small misc parts have been installed as well. When I first started, I wasn't big on takin pics of everything, not really thinking about doing any kind of build thread. So, if ya got any specific questions, feel free to ask. I can go snap pics. I know I have forgot a bunch of stuff, but they'll slowly come to me and get posted up here.

So, now yall will get to see just how slow my progress is !

- James
Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
cruiserjg

cruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond reputecruiserjg has a reputation beyond repute
Looks Good

I think I should have made mine longer than 94" .

Keep the pics coming
cruiserjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
RP-Zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserjg View Post
Looks Good

I think I should have made mine longer than 94" .

Keep the pics coming
Thanks.

Ya, at first I was worried stretching it that much, and almost all up front. But the more I looked at it, and thought about it, the more I was comfortable with it. Guess we'll see how it looks and works when all said and done.

Will definitely keep the pics comin. Slowly, but surely.

Still have to "fish plate" amd gusset up the frame extension. Still need to reinforce the new extension. Mount IFS box. Need a p/s cooler. Tabs for brake lines. Mount line lock. figure out steering shaft linkage way out to the box (slickrock has sent some awesome pics that should help here). Plenty of other small things too, then I can get some tube work and cage work done and maybe even wheel it.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
rockmike

rockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond repute
Slow?

Youve done very well.looks great man.I like all that stretch on the front youre c.g. will be awsome!!!

Need shades to look at that p/s pump fancy stuff!!!!

Nice clean work,the housings look great.

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

There are obstacles and there are obstacles with consequences.....

Zuk people rule!
in Honor of our fallen brothers.R.I.P. brothers
pie
zero
VB
I'd rather be out wheelin thinkin about God,than sittin in a church on Sunday thinkin about wheelin.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
calabrias1962

calabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond reputecalabrias1962 has a reputation beyond repute
Awsome build I like what i see so far.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
redbeard
costume time.

redbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond repute
were is that pump from?
is that a custom bracket?

Samimog,
50 pounds of parts crammed on a 10 pound rig

wish me luck

co-owner mega camper

www.facebook.com/2tribesevents
PIE

WTSS forever
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
zukiWilson

zukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond repute
Looking good James, that was a good idea on the front frame extension. It should distribute the weight pretty well. Can't wait to see it with the axles mounted up man

Dan from Ruffstuff is the man. That's one of the main places that I buy from, and I always recommend him to my wheeling buddies. He answers emails fast, and sends out the correct parts fast!
Build Thread
zukiWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
RP-Zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
Slow?

Youve done very well.looks great man.I like all that stretch on the front youre c.g. will be awsome!!!

Need shades to look at that p/s pump fancy stuff!!!!

Nice clean work,the housings look great.
Thanks a lot Mike. You've be a lot of help

Pump is my got have a little !

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabrias1962 View Post
Awsome build I like what i see so far.
Thank ya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
were is that pump from?
is that a custom bracket?
Actually, pump and pulley are from spidertrax, I got the bracket from Sean at Low Range because spidertrax was out of stock, and Sean had one sitting on his shelf. PSC are the ones who make this TC pump I believe. 1600 PSI and 4.5 GPM. Same pump that comes with PSC's full hydro setup.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.15/.f

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiWilson View Post
Looking good James, that was a good idea on the front frame extension. It should distribute the weight pretty well. Can't wait to see it with the axles mounted up man

Dan from Ruffstuff is the man. That's one of the main places that I buy from, and I always recommend him to my wheeling buddies. He answers emails fast, and sends out the correct parts fast!
Thats what I was thinking. Keeping the center of gravity as low as I can, and right in the middle, should help me out. Guess we will see if it makes much of a difference. Also wanted to thank you. Pretty sure you have been helping me gather parts, know what I need to know, since I started this build.

And yes, Dan is the man. Super cool guy. When I call him, usually end up on the phone for a good 15-20 minutes just bs'in back and forth. Last I heard, he is working on a big move from here in the Sacramento area, down to AZ I think, something like that. Bigger place I guess.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
slickrock209

slickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking great rp

slickrock209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
Gypsy-boy

Gypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond reputeGypsy-boy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice build RP-Zuki!!!

And am sure the will ensure eyes on yer Sammi

Cheers
GB
Gypsy-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
1v6pony

1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute1v6pony has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP-Zuki View Post
Thanks a lot Mike. You've be a lot of help

Pump is my got have a little !

Thank ya !

Actually, pump and pulley are from spidertrax, I got the bracket from Sean at Low Range because spidertrax was out of stock, and Sean had one sitting on his shelf. PSC are the ones who make this TC pump I believe. 1600 PSI and 4.5 GPM. Same pump that comes with PSC's full hydro setup.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.15/.f

Thats what I was thinking. Keeping the center of gravity as low as I can, and right in the middle, should help me out. Guess we will see if it makes much of a difference. Also wanted to thank you. Pretty sure you have been helping me gather parts, know what I need to know, since I started this build.

And yes, Dan is the man. Super cool guy. When I call him, usually end up on the phone for a good 15-20 minutes just bs'in back and forth. Last I heard, he is working on a big move from here in the Sacramento area, down to AZ I think, something like that. Bigger place I guess.
WOW did you say Ruff Stuff is moving to Arizona, Do you know where in Az
build looks good. keep the commin
1985 with 3.0 Ford Vulcan, M5OD Trans matted to a Dana 300, Twin sticked, Front and rear Land Curiser axles with dana 44 knuckles. front: Yj SPOA, rear: Y-link, Stretched to 101 in Wheel base, MTR 40x13.5x17 1/4 DOM Tie rod & drag link, Toyota 4-runner Steering box, Custom Cage, Custom Pan hard Bar, Eguis guages
1v6pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
RP-Zuki

Thanks a lot guys, glad some of yall dig it. Should have some more updates here soon. Just wish I woulda taken more pics during the build.

1v6Pony : Dan was talking about moving out that way, I am pretty sure it was AZ. He found some huge shop, much bigger then his. I'm just not sure where. Plus, he doesn't sound very happy about the Sac. area. Too much city life. It wasn't 100% when I last talked to him, and that was a while back, so I don't know if there are any updates or info. He did promise, if he moves, there will be no down time at Ruff Stuff.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
RP-Zuki

Got a little bit done today:

This is how I will be mounting the Toyota IFS steering gearbox:

1/4" plate. Top mounting hole goes over the frame. Will sleeve all holes, another 1/4" plate on the back, and then box the top in.

Front "bump stops" for the missing link shackle. They are from a sky kit, cut flat and welded on:

Rear Hanger for front springs are finally on too:

I will be reinforcing the mounting points. Both front Shackle hangers, and the rear spring hangers just don't have enough mounting surface. Not too sure how I will beef it up, but I'll figure something out.

For a little while the sami is being put on hold. The Ford is getting some new ring and pinion gears.

It's a lifted F150. Blew the transmission out running stock 3.55 gears with 35" tires, and towing and just generally beating on it. Hopefully some 4.88's front and rear will help get things moving and put some more grunt back in it.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
TEXCRAWLER

TEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond repute
How far away ar you from making a test run? It should be mid July for me.

Built Tube Buggy. V8, built 700R4, Atlas 2, D60, 5.38 Detroit lockers F&R. 44" Pit Bull Rockers.

Rock Crawlin is life the rest are just details

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
TEXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #17
slickrock209

slickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond reputeslickrock209 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Got a little bit done today:

This is how I will be mounting the Toyota IFS steering gearbox:

1/4" plate. Top mounting hole goes over the frame. Will sleeve all holes, another 1/4" plate on the back, and then box the top in.

Front "bump stops" for the missing link shackle. They are from a sky kit, cut flat and welded on:

Are you going to sleeve your frame for the steering box it will be kind hard to do so if you got the plate welded on already.

Is that my old ml kit??? Did you use those xjs up front??

Keep up the work, hopefully we will be wheeling together soon.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
RP-Zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXCRAWLER View Post
How far away ar you from making a test run? It should be mid July for me.
Not much longer till its running around, but then it needs cage work and a front clip. Might be a little while, really not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrock209 View Post
Are you going to sleeve your frame for the steering box it will be kind hard to do so if you got the plate welded on already.

Is that my old ml kit??? Did you use those xjs up front??

Keep up the work, hopefully we will be wheeling together soon.
I thought the plates would be enough reinforcement to the frame. no ? Should I have sleeved it before burning that on ? I will be adding cross tubes for support.

And yes sir , those are your old missing links, and your old XJ's up front Thank you !

Hope so. This thing is slowly starting to look like a rig again. Still got a ways to go, and now I need to work on the truck so when the time comes, it can actually tow it !

- James
Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
TEXCRAWLER

TEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond repute
Are you wanting to buy a front clip. I'm pulling mine off

Built Tube Buggy. V8, built 700R4, Atlas 2, D60, 5.38 Detroit lockers F&R. 44" Pit Bull Rockers.

Rock Crawlin is life the rest are just details

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
TEXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
rockmike

rockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond repute
Lookin good man Deffinatley drill and install some tubes through the frame on that steering box mount.

I like to plate the sammy frame anywhere I weld to it.If you dont they tend to tear right at the edge of the weld.Atleast some 1/8" material.Maybe Im just anal or maybe I just beat my junk harder than most.

I like how you got the edge of youre hanger catching the body mount,thats going to help make that strong.

Your steering box mount kinda looks like a cousin of trail-gears mount.Nice work bud.

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

There are obstacles and there are obstacles with consequences.....

Zuk people rule!
in Honor of our fallen brothers.R.I.P. brothers
pie
zero
VB
I'd rather be out wheelin thinkin about God,than sittin in a church on Sunday thinkin about wheelin.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #21
RP-Zuki

ya, already have the sleeves cut out. Just need to drill those holes out. Not sure if I have a bit that big though. Someone around here will (lots of auto shops).

The frame is 4x2 square tubing. Its 3/16" thick. Plus the 1/4" plate on either side, and cross tubes to keep it from bending or tweaking the frame. Sleeves welded inside, and then the top of the plates will be boxed in over the sleeve (if that makes sense). I plan to beat on my rig pretty darn hard, so hopefully this will hold up to it. Man ! Now yall got me all worried and thinking about that damn thing ! Thought I had the mounting figured out.

And yes, the mounts are almost exact replicas of the TG ones. Buddy has a Toyota and got some for himself. I used it to draw out a template, then made the plate. Came out pretty decent for a rook.

When I run the cross tubes for the front of my frame, should I plate it first, then weld the tube to the plate ? Or just weld tube directly to frame ?

TEX: It's alright man. Actually doing a tube clip. With this much frame stretch and longer wheelbase, the stock clip wouldn't really work. Easier to run tube vs. hack a clip up. But thanks though.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
slickrock209

Quote:
ya, already have the sleeves cut out. Just need to drill those holes out. Not sure if I have a bit that big though. Someone around here will (lots of auto shops).

The frame is 4x2 square tubing. Its 3/16" thick. Plus the 1/4" plate on either side, and cross tubes to keep it from bending or tweaking the frame. Sleeves welded inside, and then the top of the plates will be boxed in over the sleeve (if that makes sense). I plan to beat on my rig pretty darn hard, so hopefully this will hold up to it. Man ! Now yall got me all worried and thinking about that damn thing ! Thought I had the mounting figured out.

And yes, the mounts are almost exact replicas of the TG ones. Buddy has a Toyota and got some for himself. I used it to draw out a template, then made the plate. Came out pretty decent for a rook.

When I run the cross tubes for the front of my frame, should I plate it first, then weld the tube to the plate ? Or just weld tube directly to frame ?

It wouldnt hurt

TEX: It's alright man. Actually doing a tube clip. With this much frame stretch and longer wheelbase, the stock clip wouldn't really work. Easier to run tube vs. hack a clip up. But thanks though.

I just find it easier to hole saw the frame out to your sleeve OD and weld them to your plate first then buzz everything on.

Ive done it to were ive hole sawed then put sleeve in weld it up then grinded frame smoothe then weld the plate over. But you could just hole saw through the frame too, weld around the sleeves then grind it smooth.

Sleeving the frame will keep from squashing the frame when tightening bolts and when turning side i to side its pushing and pulling on the frame.

Last edited by slickrock209; 06-26-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
HardLuk

HardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond repute
Looking good!
"The point of spring under is better control. It has improved my handling and control a huge amount. My last lift was a 6" spoa with mudder tires, that was a pain in the butt to control, wandered all over the road, bump steer like you cant believe, rattled, shook, bounced, jiggled, everything but julienne fries." -- rkteckt

HardLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
are you done yet?
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
w8tn2wheel

w8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond reputew8tn2wheel has a reputation beyond repute
looking good!