Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
Project Penny PINCHER! RUF Homemade junk

Ok I have been fabbin on it for a while know so I finally decided to make an offical ZUKIKRAWLERS exclusive build tread! I know you all are excited as much as me. Here is what I started with 91 Samurai 29" and 3" calmini lift.

It was stiff and flexed like poop. My spoa zuk flexed better. So let the work begin!!!
First I did a SPOA with stock springs in the rear rear pushed back 1". It flexed better.

I wanted more.

Last edited by crazyatvn; 03-10-2008 at 10:41 PM.
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
So I found a guy that wanted my 3" calmini springs so I pulled the front out and the guy decided to not buy them. That left me with a zuk with no front springs. I put the 3" calmini RUF with some leaves removed. But then I realized when you flatten out lift springs the become longer than stock springs I then decided that they would be better out back and they went back on the rear. I put stock rear springs in the front but added one calmini leave to it for a little more lift and fabbed up a quick ML to test for length. I used Holeshot write up for great ideas. http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=523

Last edited by crazyatvn; 03-10-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
crazyatvn

Happy with my length of the ML I made some new ones I used 2x4 cut in half to make a 2x2 and and peice of pipe and a stock samurai bushing.

The stops were made out of my cut off u bolts for my F-350 that I just had to keep. The rests are some used poly bushings from the A-arm of my old 86 250R quad that I had not had for 7 or 8 years could not throw them away either.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
crazyatvn

I made bumpstops out of factory bump stops with 2x4 steal extension and a small gusset to strengthen them up. I have about 3 inches of up travel before the bumpstop hits.

So happy with the ML's I had to put shocks on it. I used my 3" Calmini shocks. They are a little short but they give me pretty flex before they run out of length. Here is a picture of the test flex to figure out where to mount the shocks.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Airbornejordan

Airbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond repute
NOW YOUR TALKING !! Nice flex job
Airbornejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
crazyatvn

I made a lower shock mount with some 3/16 plate and the factory shock mount I cut off the u-bolt plate and welded it on the axle.

to get a little more down travel I used the high tech method of adding a spacer (big arse nut).

I did another test flex and I notice the compressed shock is out of travel. So I think I will remove the nut and use a few washers to fine tune it.

Man those shocks made it stiff!!!!!!

Last edited by crazyatvn; 03-10-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
crazyatvn

I made homemade extended slip yokes following using another holeshot write up. http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174&page=3 Sorry no pictures.

So to total it up
Total cost in front suspension was around $15 bucks for some nuts bolts and lots of time. All other stuff I had laying around. Not to bad for what I got I think what do you all think?

I will start a rear suspension write up soon. It is still in the works. I did some more rigged up junk for the rears.

A few final flex test on my homemade RTI ramp my brother had to stand on it to keep it from flipping and crashing down.

Last edited by crazyatvn; 03-10-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
crazyatvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornejordan View Post
NOW YOUR TALKING !! Nice flex job
Thanks not bad for what I got invested in it. I got a set of toyota axles I am building that will go in this summer or fall or winter..........sometime
Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
amgraham

amgraham is on a distinguished road
Good job man! My kind of build.. I'm planning the same type of fab on my suspension with all the crap I have laying around

1987 Toyota 4Runner
Specs Here: 4Runner Page
1987 Suzuki Samurai beater

Sammy build thread here.
amgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
LostSoul
Team Jeep Rescue

LostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud of
I thought about doing a cheap build on the parts truck I have in my yard, this has inspired me LOL!

1987 LWB, 1.6L 8V, 6.4:1 T-case, Lincoln Locked Yodas front and rear, 5.29's, Mighty Kong with Gorillas, WARN 8000lb , Custom Tubed front end with 5.5" Stretch and Stinger, LED's rear, 38" TSL's.
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
crazyatvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
I thought about doing a cheap build on the parts truck I have in my yard, this has inspired me LOL!
i will trade you mine
Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
Marshall

Marshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work man. I used Holeshot's write up to make my missing links too!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
metal leg

metal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond repute
i'll trade labor for any parts you have laying around that i might need!!!
metal leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
crazyatvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal leg View Post
i'll trade labor for any parts you have laying around that i might need!!!
you have your own junk pile and I will not let you work on my stuff I seen your kind of work.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
metal leg

metal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond repute
whatever. i've got good ideas. just haven't mastered the fab skills to complete them.
metal leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #16
crazyatvn

Here is what I did with my rear.

It started with a standard SPOA rear. For the springs I used Calmini 3 inch lift springs with the lower spring removed from the pack.

I got a brand new set of Skyjacker Nitro shocks for $20 they were for a lifted Dodge. The problem with them were they had a studed top. So I cut them off and welded some old shock eyes on the top.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
crazyatvn

With that done They were stiff and too long so I made a new upper shock mount. Not wanting to mess up the factory shock mounts in case I want to use them later. I cut some old shocks up and welded the eye to a peice of pipe.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
crazyatvn

I mounted the shocks inward. Welded a top rib for strength.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
crazyatvn

Here are some test fit pictures.

Flexed picture

Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
crazyatvn

Still have to finish the lower shock mounts and bump stops.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #21
txzuk1988

txzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond reputetxzuk1988 has a reputation beyond repute
nice work
Old 04-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #22
zukiWilson

zukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond repute
Lookin' good, cut that shock boot off though because they'll collect water and make your shock rust.

I'm still impressed by your cage, it turned out really nice!
Build Thread
zukiWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #23
crazyatvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiWilson View Post
Lookin' good, cut that shock boot off though because they'll collect water and make your shock rust.

I'm still impressed by your cage, it turned out really nice!

Thanks I still need to finish it it is just sitting in there and the welds are not done yet.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
Airbornejordan

Airbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond reputeAirbornejordan has a reputation beyond repute
what you get around to it ... you think you can put up some more Pictures of your Cage? By the way you build is coming along great. Nice Job!
Airbornejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
crazyatvn

Here are some