Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 08-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
3006mv

3006mv is an unknown quantity at this point
dome light and door switch

so my dome light does not work, yet my door switch when opened makes a chime. and my horn/dome fuse is good. what gives? i guess i can try getting a new light the contacts look good and tried a few bulbs. is it possible it's something else with the door switch? '86 samurai
3006mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
vi111per

vi111per is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you getting power to the dome light? Check with a multimeter if you're getting 12v. If not, you'll have to check wiring.

The wiring for the dome light is split into three sections with bullet connector ends. The dome light itself is one section, from the dome light down the B pillar to the back of the seat belt pocket is another section, and from the seat belt pocket to the under side of the dash is the third section. The door switch and dome light wiring are connected together through a Y split connector under the dash(two black wires - ground wires). You'll get a chime regardless if the dome light is working or not because the door is ajar. Check to see if all your wiring is there.
vi111per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
overland

overland is an unknown quantity at this point
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-P...4901903&sr=8-1

I use this for 95% of my electrical diag and a fluke DMM for the rest it really speeds up everything I do.

if you have a volt meter check for voltage at the bulb with the red lead and black lead a known good ground if you have full batt voltage at bulb its a ground issue if not there is a break in power forward of the bulb make sure switch contacts are free of corrosion and any connecters, more than likely its a ground issue
overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
3006mv

3006mv is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks guys thats all good info. I need to get me a little circuit tester and start finding those wires.
3006mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
overland

overland is an unknown quantity at this point
even the cheap HF volt meter will work because you can do resistance checks with it not super accurate but still better than a test light
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ter-63604.html
overland is offline   Reply With Quote