Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Talking Tools, Trailer & Towrigs
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Talking Tools, Trailer & Towrigs Brag about your Tools, trailers & Towrigs here! If you have some questions this is the place.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Tweeder

Tweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond repute
Question Help-Coil Spring issue on'05 Cummins2500

I’ve got an issue with my 2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins..and this is a very s.t.r.a.n.g.e issue:
My front passenger coil spring is rattling at the base where it just sits in the “cup”. I can whack the coil spring with my hand and the spring will vibrate like a tuning fork, and when the vibration is right, the spring rattle against the lower “cup”. I cant physically grab the spring and move it, only when I hit it…and when the truck idles (cant hear it over the Cummins & wind noise when going down the road).

One would think that the weight of the motor and truck would keep compression on the spring. Now it may have something to with the way the spring is coiled, but do yall think my spring has lost its ability to retain its height?
Just to make it clearer, there IS compression on the spring, its just the very bottom end, I guess how it sits on the “cup”, there is some sort of play.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this??
88 Sami hood & 2 frame rails, 1.6 8V , '79 Scout D44 axles w/5.89 Gears with spool & Detroit locker, 4 link front & Rear, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, 16" RaceRunner Shox, Exo cage, 38.5"SXs, 6.4:1 TCase Gears, Custom Wheels, CTMs, 30 Spline Chromo's, Doubler
Tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
redbeard
costume time.

redbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond repute
did it ever or does it have a retaining clip type thing to hold the bottum of the spring? and could that be missing? aslo does the coil look uniform or does it have a graduated look to it as for compression?

Samimog,
50 pounds of parts crammed on a 10 pound rig

wish me luck

co-owner mega camper

www.facebook.com/2tribesevents
PIE

WTSS forever
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
JPR Ram

JPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond repute
The weight of a Dodge is on those front coil springs. If the coil springs has lost it's effectivness, the front of the truck would sag. The spring wouldn't be loose. Is it both sides or just one? I'm thinking a possible problem with the trackbar. Also check out the control arms.
1985 Samurai LWB (Canadian Model): 1.6L 16v EFI, 6.5 Transfer case, Toyota's with 5.29's, ARB's, Longfield Dirty 30's, Front YJ's with stretched front, Swing Arm (1-Link) Rear with 14" Coils, 37" Krawler's mounted on Raceline Bead-lock Wheels.
JPR Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Tweeder

Tweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond reputeTweeder has a reputation beyond repute
As far as i know there is no clip or retainer..someone at my work mentioned a "groove" where the end of the coil spring sets in, but its not easily seen if in fact there is one.

The driver side is just fine, its only the passenger..and i took a measurement from ground to fender well, and both where the same..this all started happening once the weather started getting cooler...

I also did check out the track bars, but nothing seems out of whack

this has got me stumped ???
88 Sami hood & 2 frame rails, 1.6 8V , '79 Scout D44 axles w/5.89 Gears with spool & Detroit locker, 4 link front & Rear, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, 16" RaceRunner Shox, Exo cage, 38.5"SXs, 6.4:1 TCase Gears, Custom Wheels, CTMs, 30 Spline Chromo's, Doubler
Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Tweeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR Ram View Post
If the coil springs has lost it's effectivness, the front of the truck would sag. The spring wouldn't be loose.
So that makes me wonder why the measurements i took from ground to fender were the same...could somehow the END of the coil spring have moved leaving a section not in contact with the bottom plate?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
JPR Ram

JPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond repute
What's supporting the weight of the truck then? I think you've got to figure that out first, then you can figure out why the spring isn't.
1985 Samurai LWB (Canadian Model): 1.6L 16v EFI, 6.5 Transfer case, Toyota's with 5.29's, ARB's, Longfield Dirty 30's, Front YJ's with stretched front, Swing Arm (1-Link) Rear with 14" Coils, 37" Krawler's mounted on Raceline Bead-lock Wheels.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Tweeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR Ram View Post
What's supporting the weight of the truck then? I think you've got to figure that out first, then you can figure out why the spring isn't.
The spring is...it just somehow rattles.. I cant physically grab the spring and move it, its under compression..or part of it is at least.

Like i said...this is strange.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
redbeard
costume time.

redbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond repute
might be time to get a new goat.

just kidding, good luck

Samimog,
50 pounds of parts crammed on a 10 pound rig

wish me luck

co-owner mega camper

www.facebook.com/2tribesevents
PIE

WTSS forever
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Nuts

Nuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Is the shock froze, or something else bottoming out before the full weight of the truck is on the spring? And if I remember right there should be a rubber boot on both ends of the spring. maybe that somehow came out.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
JPR Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
Is the shock froze, or something else bottoming out before the full weight of the truck is on the spring? And if I remember right there should be a rubber boot on both ends of the spring. maybe that somehow came out.
Hmmmm, possibly a shock issue. And no, there is only a rubber isolator on the top side if the spring. Spring on metal on the bottom.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #11
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
If someone put in a leveling kit they could have put the spring in the wrong orientation.

There is a certain way that spring sits in the bottom and it it is not rotated right it could possible do this.

Only way to find out is to take it apart and see.

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Tweeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231 View Post
If someone put in a leveling kit they could have put the spring in the wrong orientation.

There is a certain way that spring sits in the bottom and it it is not rotated right it could possible do this.

Only way to find out is to take it apart and see.
A certain orientation...can you explain this a little more? I was told there is no "groove" or "notch" for the spring to sit in.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
yes there is. IIRC when I put a lift on the CTD the spring would only sit in the right orientation.

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #14
Mope

Mope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231 View Post
yes there is. IIRC when I put a lift on the CTD the spring would only sit in the right orientation.
I 2nd this. I don't think it is oriented right.
Mope is offline   Reply With Quote