Go Back   Zukikrawlers > News > Introductions
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Introductions Welcome to ZukiKrawlers, Say Hello and introduce yourself.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
overland

overland is an unknown quantity at this point
Overland in a zuki

well been lurking here for about 4 years about the time I got my sami she's a 87 100% stock and sitting on 30x9.5x15's I've been going through school for diesel technology have a job lined up in Colorado this coming spring and thought I would start hashing out the details for my build up over the winter and maybe get some hints and tips along the way and see that you guys think

I grew up in western Washington running Toyotas built to survive the worst the cascades and Olympics can hand out and have lost the interest in hardcore wheeling something I have to drive to work the next day. I got into hiking and backpacking while in the boy scouts have done the PCT and went around MT rainier for my longer trips but often would go into the woods for weeks at a time with only what I could carry so the living light way of life that the challenge of overlanding in a samurai should be less of an issue in that regard.

when I was 23 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and through 3 surgeries and chemo have left me with the inability to walk more than 150' without great challenge thus the interest in overland travel I want to be able to get out and go and take what I need with me and not much more than that at most.

so for my build goals

31x10.5x15 (the come out to actually being 30.5 tall)
stock r&p and axle housings with air lockers and upgraded internals RCV fronts chromo rears (I might build a full float adapter if I can get to machining an adaptor to use the front spindle)

6.4 gears in the transfer case to correct for tire and add a decent crawl ratio when low is needed, Tcase cradle probably the low range EOS(anything better?)

I have been pleased with the power I have I know that has been a major gripe every one seems to have with these little rigs but she's done well with what I like to drive ( my first car was a diesel rabbit so slow isn't a new concept for me) that being said I have I spare engine and trans that I plan to rebuild to have a fresh start I am planning a cam and header since the spare has no cam and both the exhaust manifolds I have major cracks in them sticking with stock carb the both work perfectly and I have more than the knowledge to keep them working that way and I don't feel like the power I have now needs a major boost and would like to put an arb snorkel on it so retaining the airbox would make life a bit simpler. on my build of the engine and trans I have planned to use some internal coatings to help increase the longevity I know most people wouldn't bother with the 1.3 but its my time and money so I'll do as I see fit there.

suspension I want to stay spring under and I'd like to go with the OME springs I haven't really decided weather to go with the samurai springs or the YJ springs as I don't know what the YJ OME springs would net me in positives over the sami springs I plan to run the matching shocks from OME and steering stabilizer and I plan on replacing all the body bushings during the build some of them have seen better days

steering I plan on running power steering. is the tracker kit worth it or should I look at other options? can you run the high steer kits spring under if you shorten the tie rod? was looking at low range' kit I like the idea of FJ80 rod ends for durability

interior and body I plan on running corabeau seats up front and a single in the rear off set to one side to free up cargo area on a removable base when not needed, I plan on building storage into the body where I can I plan on running the small ARB fridge in the rear I'm over dealing with ice filled coolers epically over longer trips from civilization, I plan on building a hard top for my little rig I worked building aircraft before going back to school for my bachelors doing everything form sheet metal fab to building composite molds and building carbon fiber wings and fuselages so I have the skills to do it and correctly. I plan on running a ARB front bumper and building my own in the rear with a swing gate for the rear to carry 2 tires extra fuel and water as well as a flip up table surface on the back side of the rack

I'm probably forgetting a lot I want to do so I will add on as I plan I look forward to input and any insight anyone can add

have to figure out how to post pics I'll add some when I do
overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
Diesel_Zuk

Diesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Easiest way to add pictures is to upload to a third party site, and link them in. Sounds like an awesome project! I wanted to do the same thing with mine, but I'm 6'5" tall, and so I needed something a little bigger. So I stretched mine and turned it into a truck. I think it would be awesome if you built a pop up tent hard top like some jeeps have!!! If you got the skills, you should do something like that!! Here's my rig.

Bunch of other random samurais- sold
Diesel_Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
overland

thanks for the reply, I too am a bit over the 6 foot mark(6'2'') but its mostly in the legs most of the backpacks I used over the years are actually a woman's medium height but I find the sami roomy compared to the old rabbit and my little Suzuki carry its quite funny living in F350 country and getting out of a tiny truck parked next to a lifted truck on 37's and the driver is all of 5'3''

I'm not huge into computer stuff so I'll try to figure picture hosting stuff

I see you are from Provo I personally love Utah I took my first trip to Moab for EJS in 2008 and fell in love with the state if the job I get goes well I'll be able to work remotely after a year or two and really hope to move either closer to or to Moab
Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
jplasse

jplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a good, well thought out build and I hope you can figure out the third party picture posting and will share your build along the way. I too like the idea of an overland rig and although mine is a little more of a Daily Driver/weekend wheeler kind of build, I too would like the ability to be more setup for self sustained, remote camping type trips. It’s keeping all my buddies Heeps running that’s the problem.

Transfer case mounts... I’d say either the EOS or look at ZuksOffroad. Myron has a nice setup for keeping tcase locked in.

I have tracker power steering and it is more than adequate for my 32’s. You can shim the relief valve and increase orifice size for better power/flow and I have no complaints. I have the calmini higbsteer from a long time ago and it is holding up fine (however I don’t have an answer to the Spring under application/fitment)

Welcome to the forums
87 Zuk, P&P 1.3, .040 9.5 piston, 40mm CV Carb, w/Thorley Header, YJ SPOA Homemade Fr ML's/Rear Shackles, Diff Guards, DT 8000 Shocks, Tracker PS w/ Cooler, Calmini High Steer, 6.5:1 Tcase, Rock4xFab Twin Sticks, RRO Mega Mount, 2" BL, 32" STT's on 15x10 OMF Beadlocks, TT Belly Skid, Homemade Sliders, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, 6k Winch, Onboard Air Viair 450C, GM 100 Alternator, LED Rocklights, Thumb Throttle

Last edited by jplasse; 08-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.
jplasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Diesel_Zuk

Diesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by overland View Post
thanks for the reply, I too am a bit over the 6 foot mark(6'2'') but its mostly in the legs most of the backpacks I used over the years are actually a woman's medium height but I find the sami roomy compared to the old rabbit and my little Suzuki carry its quite funny living in F350 country and getting out of a tiny truck parked next to a lifted truck on 37's and the driver is all of 5'3''

I'm not huge into computer stuff so I'll try to figure picture hosting stuff

I see you are from Provo I personally love Utah I took my first trip to Moab for EJS in 2008 and fell in love with the state if the job I get goes well I'll be able to work remotely after a year or two and really hope to move either closer to or to Moab
Same, I am also all legs, I find my sami quite comfortable, and have the seats modified so I have plenty of leg room.

I am originally from Nebraska, I just moved to Provo under a year ago. I go to Moab at least once every three months. I was just there this last weekend, and will be back again at the end of this month.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Zuk View Post
Same, I am also all legs, I find my sami quite comfortable, and have the seats modified so I have plenty of leg room.

I am originally from Nebraska, I just moved to Provo under a year ago. I go to Moab at least once every three months. I was just there this last weekend, and will be back again at the end of this month.
where at in Nebraska? I had an internship a while back for the rail road in North Platte being from the more mountainous regions of the of the west I had a very difficult time adjusting to the flat land and hope to avoid going back if I can avoid it the fishing was ok and the liquor was cheep and could be picked up at wallmart so I had some fun
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplasse View Post
Sounds like a good, well thought out build and I hope you can figure out the third party picture posting and will share your build along the way. I too like the idea of an overland rig and although mine is a little more of a Daily Driver/weekend wheeler kind of build, I too would like the ability to be more setup for self sustained, remote camping type trips. Itís keeping all my buddies Heeps running thatís the problem.

Transfer case mounts... Iíd say either the EOS or look at ZuksOffroad. Myron has a nice setup for keeping tcase locked in.

I have tracker power steering and it is more than adequate for my 32ís. You can shim the relief valve and increase orifice size for better power/flow and I have no complaints. I have the calmini higbsteer from a long time ago and it is holding up fine (however I donít have an answer to the Spring under application/fitment)

Welcome to the forums
I have a TDI jetta and a 1.4L PD TDI(UK sourced 3cyl) carry both of witch I tuned for max economy so I have my DD needs covered so even at its best the sami can't cut the mpg category and overall wear and tear cost on the vehicle and heated seats

the only thing I can really think is any different would be the tye rod/ drag link, the track bar would have to remain the same length as the axle length hasn't changed so if I could shorten the drag link to compensate to the different height to lessen bump steer as much as possible
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Diesel_Zuk

Quote:
where at in Nebraska? I had an internship a while back for the rail road in North Platte being from the more mountainous regions of the of the west I had a very difficult time adjusting to the flat land and hope to avoid going back if I can avoid it the fishing was ok and the liquor was cheep and could be picked up at wallmart so I had some fun
I was from Lincoln, but I have a lot of friends in North Platte!! Two of my friends wives are from there!!

Quote:
I have a TDI jetta and a 1.4L PD TDI(UK sourced 3cyl) carry both of witch I tuned for max economy so I have my DD needs covered so even at its best the sami can't cut the mpg category and overall wear and tear cost on the vehicle and heated seats

the only thing I can really think is any different would be the tye rod/ drag link, the track bar would have to remain the same length as the axle length hasn't changed so if I could shorten the drag link to compensate to the different height to lessen bump steer as much as possible
WAIT. You have a polo 3 cylinder TDI in a carry?? DUDE I NEED PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Zuk View Post
I was from Lincoln, but I have a lot of friends in North Platte!! Two of my friends wives are from there!!

WAIT. You have a polo 3 cylinder TDI in a carry?? DUDE I NEED PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its back at the farm in Washington waiting on a axle swap for the Front I'll be headed back before school hopefully to finish her off I've been stuck driving a 94 f150 this summer and can't wait to get back to driving something fun,

i blew the front 3rd trying to pull a cow stuck in a irrigation ditch in reverse got her out but at the expense of a sheered pinon getting parts is hard for these things might have to build something myself

Last edited by overland; 08-08-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
rovinson

rovinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome aboard! Good luck on your project. Keep us posted.
rovinson is offline   Reply With Quote