Go Back   Zukikrawlers > News > Introductions
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Introductions Welcome to ZukiKrawlers, Say Hello and introduce yourself.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
1x1_Speed_Craig

1x1_Speed_Craig is an unknown quantity at this point
Me & my '72 LJ20 (Grand Rapids, MI)

Hi, all. I'm new to the Suzuki world, but not new to rebuilding stuff. I've rebuilt several Jeeps in the past, but was drawn to try something different for a few reasons.
  1. I've grown somewhat disenchanted with the Jeep brand, and particularly with the newer Jeeps. We've owned more Jeeps than I care to mention, the most recent being a 2011 JKU 4-door and a 2014 JK Willys Wheeler 2-door. I do still like the old-school MBs, FCs and CJs, though.
  2. I wanted a small, simple (relatively-speaking) project with a small physical footprint in the garage. We have a decent-sized garage (24' x 32' with 11.5-ft ceilings), but we're city dwellers at this point, and the garage space is an ongoing game of 3D Tetris.
  3. I like unique/oddball stuff.

What I found was a fuchsia (hot pink) 1972 Suzuki LJ20 with no engine/trans, along with an extra not-so-rolling chassis (4-flat tires ), in northern Wisconsin, where it sat for 7-8 years with good intentions, but no progress on a rebuild. The little "jeep" was last used on trails in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It's only proper that it find its way back to Michigan.

My plan is to install a 1993-vintage Suzuki G10 engine from a Geo Metro mated to a Samurai 5-speed transmission, while retaining the original LJ20 transfer case and tiny little LJ20 axles. I plan to rebuild all of the drivetrain components for a zero-mile driveline, and am crossing my fingers that I can find the appropriate seals/bearings for the OEM axles & t-case.

More to come as I get into the project.

Thanks,
Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Diesel_Zuk

Diesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome! I've seen that hot pink lj20 for sale before on craigslist. Well maybe not, but I'm pretty sure, I can't imagine there's many pink LJ's out there. Give lowrange a call, they could probably get you the seals and stuff you need.
Bunch of other random samurais- sold
Diesel_Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
1x1_Speed_Craig

1x1_Speed_Craig is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Zuk View Post
Awesome! I've seen that hot pink lj20 for sale before on craigslist. Well maybe not, but I'm pretty sure, I can't imagine there's many pink LJ's out there. Give lowrange a call, they could probably get you the seals and stuff you need.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm fairly certain it's the same one you've seen before.

Yes, I've spent a lot of time on the Low Range website. I'm sure I'll be giving them a fair share of business in the very near future.
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote