Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
67fastback

67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute
Chrome moly axles ????

ok I see that everyone and there mother is now swlling the chrome moly front axle shafts for 235 or so some with and some with out warranty....

trail -gear and trailtough to name a few...
and now trailtough is selling the rear axles now too for 375..

upgrades i have done so far

yj's with a copy of the jeep eater kit.

32" 9.50 x 16 AG goodyear tires

second time out, i broke 4 axles

2 left front
1 right front
1 right rear

all in one weekend, odd thing is i was not even getting on the engine hard or spinning a tire, i was goin up a small hill and they popped with 5 mins into the ride each time....

now the people i ride with have the new chrome moly fronts and they have the around the same size tires and have never broken the fronts yet.. so i feel my next step is to buy a set for the front.

My question is how may people have broken the rear axles... most guys around me have never seen or heard of some one braking the rear...So i thought it odd that I broke one...

i would like to get some feel back before i go out and spend the jack on the rear axles...

i mean if i spend that and still brake them then i guess i would need to upgrade to toya axles or something stronger... but then I would spend 1200-1500 on new toya axles to get them set up with gears lockers and new rims and all by the time was done. and plus would be out the cash that i have in these axles already with 5.38 and lockers front and rear and new 16" rims ...

well getting windy here so let me know what you think!

-------------
84 Honda cr60r - for sale
87 Honda 200sx - for sale
67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
87 sami - "SPLAT"
87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

67fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
JasonR

JasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond repute
Lockers?

JasonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
1mad zuk

1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute
I break stock rear axles. Broke about 3 total. I have broken a rear calmini to.I did have about 4 years on them. I am running the chrome moly up front. Broke several about 10 stock fronts. I will be upgrading to the T.T. 4340 rear axles in the being of the new year.
1mad zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
durnzuki
HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS

durnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond repute
Me or Dylan have never broke a rear, and that says something. We go through front axels like they are free, even the chromeolly ones. Dylan broke three in less than 5 min. We have since but stock yota's on his and are break free ( so far). I broke a stock front last weekend on flat ground with the wheels straight and not even on the gas hard, just hit a bump and heard a snap. If it were me I would get the yota's and be done. If you need more strength than that go longfields with his warrenty.

Have you ever took a crap so big your pants fit better??
B.A.A.A.A. Member #9
durnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
gremlin1984

gremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond reputegremlin1984 has a reputation beyond repute
I cant speak for the chrome moly (which ive been keeping an eye on). I have the stock set front and rear welded front and back (with the spider gear teeth welded so then have some play) and I havent broken anything as of yet. (knock on wood), But I was out last night doin some trails and one guy in the group had a nice FJ 40 with a dana 60 front and 70 rear and he broke the rear bolts that hold in that shaft so i would say anything is possible. although a set of fj60 axles would be nice!!
3 three zuks into 1, 1.3L TBI, 5 spd, T-case 6:1 gear set, 31 LTB SS, Lincoln Locked Front and Rear w/ springs on top, Yj 6 pack missing link in the rear and Ruff pack in the front, Yota IFS steering, with Half High Steer, 1/4 plate home made diff guards, Custom CV Long spline w/ 1/2 ton joints on the rear shaft, stock rims flipped for back spacing and to top it off Mini Van captain chairs (with lumbar and arm rests) w/ Satellite Radio (gotta have some tunes). Its a start.....
gremlin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
durnzuki
HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS

durnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond reputedurnzuki has a reputation beyond repute
Let me put it this way, I am taking the sammi front and hybrid rear out and going yota in the next 30 days while I am working on changing engines.

Have you ever took a crap so big your pants fit better??
B.A.A.A.A. Member #9
durnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Scott410
ZK Moderator

Scott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond reputeScott410 has a reputation beyond repute
You just won some spring perches, now go buy some Yota's.

Scott410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
67fastback

67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute67fastback has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott410 View Post
You just won some spring perches, now go buy some Yota's.
yes i did..

I just ordered my chromoly axles from lowrange. the new guy there loves to talk to you...I said make sure you send soem free stuff... the stickers came today in the mail but the axles are not here yet... soon though, I called and check with them...

guess i need to pull the sami out of the back yard and pull it all apart now....

-------------
87 sami - "SPLAT"
88 sami - "Squirt"

Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Marc017

Marc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond repute
Just a thought, is your axle bent at all? Im on stock shafts with 33's locked front and rear and havent broken it in a year. I am also not very easy on my rig.

www.crossedupcustoms.com
Marc017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm bettin those tractor tires will snap the cromos also
crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #11
67fastback

not bent yet! key word yet! I am hard im my rig too! Gang it lowrange said they would be here on the 12th but no brown truck today! grrrrrrr! i need the axle quick only have tomorrow to work on it to get it fixed before the Harlin trip....still need to order me some new front shocks and weld up my bumper too...
odd thing my new sky shock hoops i put on, for some reason the shock wants to rub the bump stop, and popped a hole in my new shocks...on the first ride, grrrrr any one else have the same issue? i did cut part of the bump stop off but still might do it again...

-------------
87 sami - "SPLAT"
88 sami - "Squirt"