Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Mudcat

Mudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud of
94 vs 88 1.3

I came up with a 94 1.3 to replace my tired 88. I am going to run the My-Side set up that I have due to the simplicity of it.
But my questions are.

1. The head on the 94 has a place for a fuel pump but when I put the rod in the hole it does not move at least that I can tell. I am thinking I will have to run an electric fuel pump with this engine. Am I thinking right or will the mechanical fuel pump work with the EFI head? If not what is a good easily available electric pump for this application?

2. 88 engine = square tooth belt and timing pulleys with a 4 bolt v belt pulley, 94 = engine has rounded tooth belt and timing pulleys with a 5 bolt serpentine belt pulley. The timing belt on the 94 is a rounded tooth and when I swaped the crank pulley for the 4 bolt pulley the square tooth on the bottom pulley and the round tooth for the top pulley doesn't look like a very good set up. I guess I need to swap both pulleys from the 88 engine along with the correct belt? Is there anything I need to know about this before going ahead and doing it?

Kind of simple questions but my cheap ass manual does not cover stuff like this. I figure someone has been through this swap before.
88.5 Samurai, SPOA, welded rear, Lock rite front, 6.5 trail creeper gears, heavy duty transfer case output, rock sliders, MY-Side, ZOR front bumper, half high steer with Mercedes arm, 31" Maxxis Bighorns more to come

Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
mkyhmltn

mkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond reputemkyhmltn has a reputation beyond repute
Why dont you leave the serpentine setup on it?

mkyhmltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
which ever way you go you do nned to have both top and bottom timing belt pulley match, because the belts are different. As far as electric pump your looking at $35-$40 from the part stores, since your going back with the MySide you only need about 2lb of fuel pressure so go with the 2-6lb pump, and you will need to keep using the fuel pressure reg. that came with the MySide.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Danazook
Tha Good Hood Killa

Danazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I came up with a 94 1.3 to replace my tired 88. I am going to run the My-Side set up that I have due to the simplicity of it.
But my questions are.

1. The head on the 94 has a place for a fuel pump but when I put the rod in the hole it does not move at least that I can tell. I am thinking I will have to run an electric fuel pump with this engine. Am I thinking right or will the mechanical fuel pump work with the EFI head? If not what is a good easily available electric pump for this application?

you are thinking correct... there probably isnt a lobe for a fuel pump rod on the efi cam... I am no help on which fuel pump to choose...

2. 88 engine = square tooth belt and timing pulleys with a 4 bolt v belt pulley, 94 = engine has rounded tooth belt and timing pulleys with a 5 bolt serpentine belt pulley. The timing belt on the 94 is a rounded tooth and when I swaped the crank pulley for the 4 bolt pulley the square tooth on the bottom pulley and the round tooth for the top pulley doesn't look like a very good set up. I guess I need to swap both pulleys from the 88 engine along with the correct belt? Is there anything I need to know about this before going ahead and doing it?

You do need to swap the cam gear also... Just follow the timing instructions in the manual and you should be ok!!!

Kind of simple questions but my cheap ass manual does not cover stuff like this. I figure someone has been through this swap before.
Good Luck
Rig 2
87 Zook, 1.3L EFI, CJ rear/RUF, Missing Links Front & Rear, 5.14:1 Tcase, Toys, 33 TSLs
Daily Driver Project
87 Tintop, 2wd, 1.3L, My-Side, Header
Danazook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
Mudcat

Mudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud ofMudcat has much to be proud of
Thanks guys, I knew you all would be some help.
I would leave the serpentine set up on but I don't have the alternator or water pump pulley for the serp. Plus my v-belt has a 2 groove pulley for the future addition of power steering or on boarb air.
88.5 Samurai, SPOA, welded rear, Lock rite front, 6.5 trail creeper gears, heavy duty transfer case output, rock sliders, MY-Side, ZOR front bumper, half high steer with Mercedes arm, 31" Maxxis Bighorns more to come

Old 04-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
sledhead004

sledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Thanks guys, I knew you all would be some help.
I would leave the serpentine set up on but I don't have the alternator or water pump pulley for the serp. Plus my v-belt has a 2 groove pulley for the future addition of power steering or on boarb air.
I would guess you could go to a salvage yard and get the serpentine pulleys off a 1.6 that would probaly work.

1987 Samurai JX DD
4.57s,lockrights, 34x10.50x15, Rock4xfab Cage, 1.6 16v and yj spoa, 6:5:1 t-case. Twisted T,
Proud member of the bigflex padders union!
Local 10001

sledhead004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
zukiWilson

zukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond repute
1.6L 8-v Trackers/Sidekicks have the same 5 bolt pulley pattern and serpentine set-up. At least the 2 of them I had did... You should be able to use the pulleys of one of those engines, so they shouldn't be that hard to find in the junk yard.
Build Thread
zukiWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
As mentioned.....
The EFI cam does not have a fuel pump lobe on it.....you can either swap cams or run an electric pump.
The trackick 5 bolt crank pulley will work on the samurai 5 bolt crank. You can get these in double row, so you still have something to run PS or OBA.
A trackick alternator will fit in the 1.3 bracket. A trackick water pump pulley will fit on a 1.3 water pump. I run a full serpentine system on my EFI 1.3 along with trackick PS.
You do need to keep the same type of timing belt pulleys on both ends....either square or round.....you could swap the cam pulley from one to the other, or swap the crank end.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Mudcat

I swapped the crank and cam pulleys to the run with the square tooth belt and the 4 bolt v-belt pulley. I have been driving it and it runs much better that my old engine for sure. Plus I don't have that oil smell that use to follow me everywhere.
Thanks for the info guys.