Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
mikeyman0166

mikeyman0166 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intake and carb swap

My brother in law has an 88 Sammi and the Hitachi carb dumped out. The engine tachs out when you start her up. No intake leaks cables or linkages hanging up.
Anyway a buddy of his told him he has a carb and intake off of a 89 tracker with the 1.6 engine. Is this a direct bolt on replacement? are there gonna have to be and mods done for brackets, linkages etc. Will he need to re-jet the carb. Is the 89 carb a reliable carb? I really am trying to point my brother in law in the right direction that will cost him the least about of time and headaches as well as costs.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
mikeyman0166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
It should work, use the 89 ECM as well. Most here have not messed with the 89 carbed version so you may have a awhile before some one will post up any info. Give either ZOR or Hawk a call, those two should have the info your looking for.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
isn't a 89 tracker EFI?
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
mikeyman0166

Yep It sure is. I just found out there is a rare carburated model 1.3 tracker from 89. Bottom line the swap wont work. I called hawk and it pointed me into an entirely new direction to look..
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
mtnbound

mtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond reputemtnbound has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman0166 View Post
I called hawk and it pointed me into an entirely new direction to look..
And that would be????

THE ONLY CURE FOR "1984" IS A LITTLE 1776!!!!
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
mikeyman0166

He seems to think there may a vacuum issue drawing the 2ndary wide open like a pod or something like that. A pod was removed and bypassed just prior to this happening. The head was rebuilt just prior to all of this also and I am doing research on this before I take on fixing whatever may have been done wrong. The guy that rebuilt the head also adjusted the valves on the engine running so to speak. He would actually start it to bump it over, Didnt hit top dead center, 360 the crank etc. Let me tell you the zuk is clacking big time too.
I am was a master motorcycle mechanic years ago So I know I can this thing,, just been too damn cold to work on it outside....
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman0166 View Post
He seems to think there may a vacuum issue drawing the 2ndary wide open like a pod or something like that. A pod was removed and bypassed just prior to this happening. The head was rebuilt just prior to all of this also and I am doing research on this before I take on fixing whatever may have been done wrong. The guy that rebuilt the head also adjusted the valves on the engine running so to speak. He would actually start it to bump it over, Didnt hit top dead center, 360 the crank etc. Let me tell you the zuk is clacking big time too.
I am was a master motorcycle mechanic years ago So I know I can this thing,, just been too damn cold to work on it outside....
Get the FSM for it and chase it down.
Being a motorcycle mech then I would just dump that whole thing from the head out and bolt on the GSXR CV's on it. Double the HP.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
mikeyman0166

Crap I forgot to update from all the excitement..Issue is fixed!! His buddy decided a vacuum amplifier did not need to be there and re routed some of the lines. One of the vacuum lines was going going directly for the pod for secondary pulling it wide open. I rerouted evey vacuum line yesterday and she is running perfect now. Hawk told me to look for a vacuum line pullin them open and sure enough he was spot on.
Hmmmm 4 cv carbs,, it sounds like fun but my brother in law does not have the cash. Did I mention I enjoyed working on this thing so much that I am selling my porsche 944 and looking for a sami or sidekick..