Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Yota Swap Tech
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Yota Swap Tech Here you can discuss from engine swaps, axle, swaps, Tcase swaps or just about anything for your Yota parts swap.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
Nixon

Nixon is just really niceNixon is just really niceNixon is just really niceNixon is just really nice
1.6 16v ECU Toyota swap question

Hey guys, I currently am building a 4 door Sidekick. I'm keeping the 1.6 16v, and adapting a w56 and dual toy cases. The car was originally a 4 speed auto. I was told that since I am swapping in a manual transmission, I will need an ECU out of a Sidekick that has a manual transmission. Before going to pick and pull and paying $50, I wanted to make sure this was needed.

Thanks in advance

Special thanks to Low Range Off Road!
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Ian_R

Ian_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond repute
It should run with the auto ECM but it will throw a code or two. I'm running a 16v and 5 speed tracker trans in my samurai with an ECM from an auto. It runs fine but if I scan the codes it has a PNP switch code and I think one other since the ECM is looking for input from the auto trans. I don't see any problem with performance on mine. One of these days I may find a cheap ECM from a manual to throw in but it's definitely not a priority.
Ian_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Nixon

Nixon is just really niceNixon is just really niceNixon is just really niceNixon is just really nice
Right on thanks for the info.

Special thanks to Low Range Off Road!
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Ian_R

Ian_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond repute
You will probably need to address the park/neutral switch still to get it to crank and start. Getting 12 v to the switch circuit when cranking should fool it. My harness was originally done by Trail Tough but I've not looked to see what they modded in that circuit.
Ian_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
juicehall

juicehall is an unknown quantity at this point
juicehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
FireCkrEd

FireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond repute
One problem Nixon will have is getting it to pass smog code free. Good thing it's not OBII.
03 XL-7 2wd stock
Living in the State of So. Krawlifornia
FireCkrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
HardLuk

HardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure which year your sidekick is, but you'll need an ECM with numbers like this (this is a 1993 OBD1) to pass Smog in Calif.

"The point of spring under is better control. It has improved my handling and control a huge amount. My last lift was a 6" spoa with mudder tires, that was a pain in the butt to control, wandered all over the road, bump steer like you cant believe, rattled, shook, bounced, jiggled, everything but julienne fries." -- rkteckt

HardLuk is offline   Reply With Quote