Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
Jarhead

Jarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond repute
Knuckle grease

What knuckle grease do you guys use? I hate having to remove the knuckles every few months to re-grease the knuckles because the grease gets runny and nasty. Eventually it lacks out of the locking hubs because I use the same type of grease for them too any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It gets fairly hot here so I'm thinking that does not help it either.

Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
"Runny Grease" is a sign that gear oil is getting past the seal on the outer end of the axle housing. Fixing that by replacing those seals is your first step.

I use a good marine hub grease to lube the birfield joint. Pack the same grease into the kingpin bearings.

It is NOT necessary to fill the entire ball joint with grease although you do want to load the ball joint wiper seal before reinstalling the felts and fastening plates.

Finally, packing the locking hubs with grease is not a good thing to do! Too much grease (actually ANY grease) packed in the hub mechanism only makes it harder to do it's job. The grease only get in the way of the moving parts making it hard to engage the locking mechanism. I use a semi-generous coating of silicone grease on all moving parts so that they can move freely when you lock the hubs.

I hope that this helps!

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
Jarhead

Jarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the tips, I usually do new seals when I do that but I'll see if this time I'll try the marlin seals. I usually use the trail gear seals but I'll try a different one now. Do you think I am putting too much oil in the diff and it's making its way out to the seal all the time?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
Bowie Kid

Bowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond repute
What ACK said. Personally I use Mystik JT-6 (personal preference), and Marlin seals. No leaks, they are the bomb.
Side note, wonder if your housing is slightly bent, causing the new seals to leak. I believe the Marlin allow for a slight bend is why they work so well.
Still drooling over your hi pinion e-locker to replace the low one on one of my rigs that sits too high, waiting on money that never seems to appear.
1990 Diahatsu Rocky 1.9td, Track/kick trans-tcase, 4.24's, Toys, yj's, front m/l shackle reverse, 33's, built in the ZOR shop.

[/IMG]
Bowie Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
Jarhead

Thanks, I still have a non elocker hi pinion that is still for sale. I finally started to swap the stock 85 toy housing for a rock assault housing. I'm still debating on if I should use the hi pinion elocker or should I stick with the hi-pinion with the lockright. Hasn't failed me once. Whichever sells first I will use the other.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Rudolf_Diesel

Rudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond reputeRudolf_Diesel has a reputation beyond repute
I use Swepco 101 Moly grease. 1 14 oz. tube per knuckle. I have a 5 gallon bucket of it if you want some.

I is what I use in my CV / birfs and what racers use in theirs.

Let me know if you want some.

1987 Samurai Tin top - VW 1.9TD, Trackick Trans w/ McFab doubler, 5.8 T-case, Front stretched 14", SR front, ML rear, YJ's, Rock Assault Axles - Front and Rear, E-Locker Rear, Air Locker Front, OBA, OBW, 33x12.5 Khumos, plus too much to list...
Rudolf_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Jarhead

Sure, I'll take some. I will need to swap in a new diff into my 4runner when I re gear it.