Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Dale332

Dale332 is an unknown quantity at this point
New build driveline issues help

I recently purchased an 88 Samurai with a YJ conversion, spoa, Toyota fj axles, low range tc cradle, sitting on 35's. When I bought it, it was assembled for the most part but driveshafts were not installed, no brakes, shocks, some other odd things... after installing shocks I installed driveshafts, in the rear I'm using samurai shaft with one 1.5 in spacer, in the front I'm using a extended slip yoke, (all these parts came with samurai he had everything to do it just hadn't been done) when Sami is on the ground the splines are almost completely compressed, when the samurai is in the air (on lift) the yokes both front and rear at the tc are binding up I've ground until I don't feel comfortable grinding anymore and don't know what else to do??? Any input? To add to this I decided to at least drive it down the road and back since on the ground things looked ok, it had a HORRIBLE roar or grinding something coming from drivetrain somewhere... all fluids are new, rear end is welded, any ideas here ? Thanks!
Dale332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
garcol

garcol is an unknown quantity at this point
You can add limit straps to the axles to keep them from flexxing too much. That should help with keeping things from binding.
Check your pinion angle on the rear. It should be parallel with the output of the t-case (same angle), or point pinion angle to t-case then use Double cardon joint at T-case. The front angle needs to be set for Castor for proper steering. Alot of people will use a Double Cardon joint in front to makeup for difference in pinion to t-case angles. Hope this helps?
garcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
Dale332

Thanks, the rear pinion is pointed directly at transfer case, I have a cv out of a 79 4 runner will it work or need to be shortened? I won't be able to work on the samurai for another two weeks, I'm just trying to source all the parts, information I can before I get back to it.... also would the Harsh angles create an awful roar even when they aren't binding? New u joints also...
Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Conner

Conner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond repute
If the pinion is pointed at the tcase you need to use a CV driveshaft and that is most likely your source of vibrations. Can't tell you if it will fit in because every application is different but most likely will need to be shortened. You want the CV from a solid axle truck as the ifs shafts won't give you much angle.
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Dale332

Ok, I'll try the cv shaft I have when I get to work on it again, and go from there. Another question, brakes... so I have flexible line coming from factory samurai brakes to a T then to headlines on the axle to each wheel (rear) but it's kind of rigged at the moment and brakes are something I don't want to rig. Can anyone tell me the best thing to use for the T no one at my local parts houses had anything that would thread right for the samurai thread and for the lines going to Toyota axles.... different thread I know but does someone make something or is there something I'm not looking at here. ?