Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
johnnc

johnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond repute
Project KickToy - Sidekick Buggy Build

I bought a bone stock 1992 Sidekick in early 2012 with the thought I would do a small lift, bigger tires, and basically have a cheap Rhino to haul the family around the desert in SoCA. We love the desert and have been riding bikes and quads for several years. It would also serve as a nice toad behind the motorhome when we went to the beach, mountains, etc.

I did just that and hit the trails with a friend who had a Sidekick as well. I started wanting to do harder trails so I added lower transfer case gears, then a rear locker, then front and rear bumpers, and a winch to get us out of trouble. Now that I am doing harder trails, I need to keep my family safe. I can do all the bolt in stuff but have never done any real fabrication. I wanted a roll cage but I didn't want something "off the shelf". I went to one of the other boards (rhyms with Mirate) and did a vendor search based on where I lived. I wanted to see if I could find someone close to me to do the work. As luck would have it, I found 3 shops in my town and I called all 3. Long story short I went with Mayhem Metal Works because he answered all my questions and gave me a realistic estimate of what a cage would cost.

The cage went in great and I stayed in touch with Andrew as I was using my rig. In January this year he called me up and asked me if I wanted to join his group for KOH in February. I had heard about the event and have wanted to attend so I jumped on the opportunity. He told me to leave the Zuk at home and ride with him in his Hendrix X-Chassis rig he built. We did a bunch of trails and I was hooked on the rocks. A few nights and several cocktails later, we decided to do a complete teardown of my Sidekick and build a buggy. I have been gathering parts and we started the teardown a couple weeks ago. Here is what we have planned:

The Parts:
-Toyota axles with all the good stuff
-39.5" irocks/Mayhem Metal Works weld on beadlocks
-2wd trans/built Sami t-case (6.4's, front output, twisted shifter, Rock 4x DIY bucket)
-Prototype Mayhem Metal Works front and rear link suspension system
-14" sway-a-way coilovers front and rear
-Suspension seats/harnesses
-Lots of tube

The Plan:
Chop the shit out of it and replace most of the body with tube. I guess it will end up somewhere between a truggy and firewall buggy. We will be keeping the hood, windshield frame, upper sheetmetal, targa bar, firewall, and floorboards to the back of the rear seat. We will also be keeping the cage and rear seat. Everything else is gone and will be tubed out. The wheelbase is getting stretched to 105-107" and we are tying for a crew cab truck look so it will be getting a "bed" added to the back as part of the tube work.

The suspension will be a double triangulated 4 link in the rear and a three link/panhard in the front, all mounted to a mini version of Andrew's Toyota link suspension subframe/skid plate.

We are doing what we can to keep it low, It will have around a 21' frame height, 18" belly, and we dropped the body 1/2" from stock.

Pic #1 - The day I brought it home

Pic #2 - Completion of first build

Pics #3-4 - Enjoying the rig

Pics #5-7 - Teardown begins

Pics #8-11 - Starting to put it back together

We are working on the project in the evenings as time allows and on weekends. It will be done by early October for the Tinbenders jamboree. Andrew is allowing me to work side by side with him and he is teaching me all aspects of the build. I have been enjoying the process and can't wait to have the grinding stage behind me!!

More updates to come after this weekend's efforts. Hopefully we will have the sliders final welded and installed for good.

Last edited by johnnc; 06-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
johnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
johnnc

johnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond reputejohnnc has a reputation beyond repute
Early cage work and my first fab project... sliders.

Last edited by johnnc; 06-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
Some very nice start there. Liking where this is heading.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Mullet

Mullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet indeed. Gonna be badass.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
johnnc

Thanks guys, I am excited about it.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
csmith24

csmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond reputecsmith24 has a reputation beyond repute
Gonna be awesome!
csmith24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
johnnc

We got more work done this week. The sliders are completely welded and the driver's side is installed for good. The passenger side is getting final install tonight. Also got the beadlock rings painted and tires mounted. We set the tires where we think the axles are going to land and it is right at 105". Final position may move out 1" in the front but it is pretty close. We spent a couple hours just staring at the rig trying to finalize how the tube work is going to integrate with the existing cage. Existing cage is 1.5" and all the new tube is 1.75". I am trying to keep the Sidekick "targa bar" look and we think we have the solution. Stay tuned on that. Went shopping yesterday to purchase the ever important drink holder too. Other things we got done include removal of the old sound deadening on the floors and tunnel and a bunch more grinding on the frame rails for the new sliders.

Here are some pictures:

Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
Wow you definitely jumped right in.
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
chad reed

chad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good so far.look forward to seeing more pics.

Maker of the sheep stick
chad reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
zuk rider

zuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond reputezuk rider has a reputation beyond repute
i really want to E-SLAP you for cutting a great body up, BUT, the work quality and planning thus far leave me thinking it'll be just fine!

Flashboiler snow bashing approved!
zuk rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Metal Head
Banned

Metal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these parts
Can you show some pics of where you re-located everything front the fender wheels since you eliminated the inner fenders? I want to do the same.
Metal Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
zukijames

zukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond repute
Hope my gf doesn't see this she wanted a kick buggy so bad
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
johnnc

Zuk-rider - if it makes you feel any better I tried for several months to sell my kick and trade for a stocker. I couldn't get close to the money I ended up getting parting it out.

Metal Head - we haven't relocated anything yet. Most of it will hang off the new tube work, which will be started next week. I will post pics as that work gets completed. We are going to move the battery to the rear of the vehicle, again, not sure exactly where at this point.

Stay tuned...
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
johnnc

Life has gotten in the way of the build for the past 3 weeks but some progress was made recently. Due to the unique design of the factory seat mounting location we had to build new mounts for the suspension seats. We used the stock sliders and fabbed up the mounts which will incorporate the anti-submarine belt. There may even be enough room to weld a beverage holder between the outside of the seat and the new "door skins". Also got the front frame rails cleaned up and ready to start the winch mount. Here are a couple pictures of the seat mounts...

Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
johnnc

Seat mounts are completely done now. Also started work on the winch mount and stinger. Last picture is the the front frame reinforcement and winch plate tie in that will be cnc plasma cut locally.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #16
scottiej

scottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome work! This sidekick is going to look

My Build
scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
johnnc

More progress again this weekend. The belt line has been established and I am happy with how it came out. We got all the tubing cut, bent and notched for the back half but ran out of daylight. We will tackle that this week. Tube work takes a LONG time!! I am learning a lot. Here are some pics of the front seats in, new tube work, and rear seat installed.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
jplasse

jplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond repute
That is awesome. GREAT work. Look forward to the updates.
87 Zuk, P&P 1.3, .040 9.5 piston, 40mm CV Carb, w/Thorley Header, YJ SPOA Homemade Fr ML's/Rear Shackles, Diff Guards, DT 8000 Shocks, Tracker PS w/ Cooler, Calmini High Steer, 6.5:1 Tcase, Rock4xFab Twin Sticks, RRO Mega Mount, 2" BL, 32" STT's on 15x10 OMF Beadlocks, TT Belly Skid, Homemade Sliders, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, 6k Winch, Onboard Air Viair 450C, GM 100 Alternator, LED Rocklights, Thumb Throttle

jplasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
johnnc

Baby Got Back

More progress last week. We got the back half of the tube work done including cooler mounts, rear gas tank mounts, and sheet metal in the rear. Finished the harness bar for front seats and cross bracing. Harness bar for rear seat is in. A ton of finish welding was completed as well. She has a little more ass than we originally thought but the space is needed. Departure angle should be in the ~70* range so it shouldn't be too bad. I need to get a picture or two of the gas tank mounts but you can see the filler neck in the last pic. Plans are to build a basket on top of the gas tank and wrap around the sides of the cooler to somehow utilize that space. Basket will have numerous tie down areas. The Kick is now 14'3" from stinger to back of the bed which is about a foot longer than stock if you measure to the spare tire. Here are some pictures.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
yozuki

yozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work it seem to be rolling along keep it up..
And from the last pic it looks like my lincon sp 200.
yozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
bam671

bam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond reputebam671 has a reputation beyond repute
nice where did you get the LED's?
bam671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Metal Head
Banned

Metal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these partsMetal Head is infamous around these parts
Why so long? Just to hold gear? Just seems like you have a lot of real state back there to drag on.
Metal Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
johnnc

Del City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam671 View Post
nice where did you get the LED's?
Reverse lights - http://www.delcity.net/store/Oval-LE...ights/p_798165

Tail Lights - http://www.delcity.net/store/Oval-Di...Lamps/p_797811

The reverse lights can also be used as rock lights, they are pretty bright.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #24
johnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Head View Post
Why so long? Just to hold gear? Just seems like you have a lot of real state back there to drag on.
It looks longer than it really is. We needed the room for shock mounts, gas tank, battery, and most important, the cooler. I want enough room to throw a tent and a couple sleeping bags for my son and I to camp on the trail. We may have been able to shorten it 6" at the most.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
johnnc

Transfer Case Re-built

Couple pics of the rear gas tank mounts. We are waiting on suspension installation before solving the front mounts.

Also rebuilt the transfer case last night. Nothing in this thing wanted to come apart but once it was apart everything went back together nicely. We had to clearance both case halves in 3 or 4 places total. We installed the Trail Tough Rockmonster 6.4:1 gearset, updated front output shaft, and Twisted TT 2-low shifter kit. We will also integrate the Rock 4X Fab DIY transfer case bucket during the installation of am4x4's suspension kit. The job took just over 5 hours and included a thorough cleaning of the case. We didn't take any pictures during the install, just wanted to get it done.