Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 03-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #526
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
Wayne... The Nappa links do not work for me. I have been clicking them and only get the Nappa main page.
I have read and reread this post till I am dizzy. I do try not to repost on info that has been clearly covered unless something was just not clear.

I also try to post direct links to stuff I found or if I was unclear. (The underlines text in my posts tends to be a clickable link).

I really appreciate your time and effort Wayne
HaOuLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #527
Smallblock

Smallblock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
Smallblock, you are looking at a common GM alternator, very common in many applications. I would think as an alternator re-builder it would be obvious to you.
I don't know what I said to get that response.
Smallblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #528
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock View Post
Yeah, read the whole thread,but not recently. I just don't want anybody to get the idea they can pop the reg cap out of any 1 wire and convert it to a 3 wire. That'll probably work for the summit alt for its designed to work as either a 1 or 3 wire,but not all 1 wires.
This post prompted my response.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #529
Smallblock

I think I know what you mean now. The delco that will work as either a 1 wire or 3 wire is not a common alternator. Most are one or the other. Summit must source the alts that will go either way. We sell them at work that will too.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #530
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
My understanding and reading of this thread is that the Delco in question in its stock form can be 1 wire or 3 wire. As for being common, it is common with GM vehicles.

Do understand, my post on this subject is from reading many post, having this alt on many GM vehicles over the years, having installed the Summit Alt stated and running a stock GM alt on my Samurai with the same Summit wiring. I have no educated experience and have never rebuilt an alt, although I have disassembled many.

I rarely make an absolute statement or post, and hesitate in making absolute statements or posts based on reading alone. If I do, I state what I base my position on, theory, personal experience or ... .

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #531
Smallblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
My understanding and reading of this thread is that the Delco in question in its stock form can be 1 wire or 3 wire. As for being common, it is common with GM vehicles.

Not in that configuration it's not common. Never installed on a factory application. All the oem automotive delco 10si or 12si are 3 wire only. They won't work without the regulator plugged in. Some like the summit you have will work either way but only because it was specially built to do so. Please understand that I'm not trying to argue with you. I've been working on these types alternators in countless variations a long time and I'm just trying to share a little knowledge.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #532
Dude

Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond reputeDude has a reputation beyond repute
I bought the LowRange Off-road bracket and picked up a CS130 100 amp alt from an 88 Buick with a V belt (O'Reilly 01-0381) and an alt plug (O'Reilly PT200) and a 7735 MasterPro V belt. I had to buy a bolt for the adjuster (10 mm X 1.25 X 1 inch) and hog out the adjuster slot a little so the bolt would fit. I did a little grinding on the adjustment bracket to clear the new alt. Now I get 15 volts at idle and my headlights are super bright.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #533
KoffeeClutch

KoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond repute
Low Range now has matching upper alt brackets for GM alts. Just installed mine. Slightly thicker than stock.

My original had a hairline crack all the way through the slotted end area.
Previous owner had stock alt bracket bent and all mucked up.

Everything is nice and shiny now.
KoffeeClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #534
Aids10

Aids10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Much Appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoffeeClutch View Post
I just made a full install video on the CS130 alt. upgrade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0gabVE2ek

Used a 100% new Duralast Gold CS130 (DLG1347-5-11):
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...or/115396_0_0/

The CS130 has to have the mounting ear straight across from the lower bolt boss. Also, the mounting ear needs to be the "tall" one (widest bolt spacing).
Nobody ever mentions this:

These alternators were used on Chevy trucks/vans from 1987-1995. P30 step van with 5.7l V8 is the easy application to remember.
Autozone does not stock the Gold 100% new alternators. They got mine to me next day.

Watch video for all details/part numbers (alternator/pigtail plug/belt).
I also show how to properly "clock" the alternator by removing the face.
You will also need a V-belt pulley instead of the serpentine pulley.
Any Chevy v-belt pulley should work. Adventure Off Road also has them for $16

The Nippondenso plug adapter (Part # 461804) is $25 here:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno461804.aspx

This is the part that makes the install "plug and play" but I personally don't like the idea of that.

I used the Duralast 237 AC Delco pigtail and wired the large red sense (S) wire direct to battery terminal positive, and the black (I or F) wire to the Suzuki white/red stripe wire. No other wires on the 4 pin plug are used.

I would not use the stock black/white sense wire as it just goes into the old vehicle harness. Up to you though. I wanted the alternator to correctly see the battery voltage direct from the source and adjust things properly.

Hope this helps everybody. Loving my upgrade!
Aids10 is offline   Reply With Quote