Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 12-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #1
425xpedition

425xpedition is an unknown quantity at this point
16V swap header???

Putting 16V in the samurai and the stock exhaust manifold will not work. The bolts that bolt the Sidekick downpipe to the stock manifold are hitting the frame. Wondering if anybody has tried the Doug Thorley try-y header and if it fits?

Did a search and didn't find much info on the exhaust options.

Last edited by 425xpedition; 12-15-2015 at 09:27 AM.
425xpedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
The thorley is a great header, but you're buying the name.

Myron over at ZOR, as well as some other vendors, has a great try Y that is a less expensive

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
BTW I run a thorley myself on my 16V 1.3L. picked up some bottom end with it. better than long tubes on the bottom.

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
425xpedition

Gonna try Myron first. Where I get from is going to depend on who can get it to me by Friday.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
DemoMike

DemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond repute
fit on my 1.6 16V swap just fine...
DemoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
425xpedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoMike View Post
fit on my 1.6 16V swap just fine...
What motor mounts did you use? Mine has the Trail Tough unbreakable motor mounts.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
DemoMike

DemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Whatever came in the standard Trail Tough swap package (ie not the unbreakable mounts)...
DemoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Lanford

Lanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond reputeLanford has a reputation beyond repute
I swapped a 16v using the Dodge motor mounts. On my exhaust, I got rid of the spring bolt assembly and went with short bolts. I had to cut down the lip on the exhaust flange where it is just flat on the side that sits near the frame. that got me enough clearance.
saves several hundred dollars that way.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Ian_R

Ian_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond reputeIan_R has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanford View Post
I swapped a 16v using the Dodge motor mounts. On my exhaust, I got rid of the spring bolt assembly and went with short bolts. I had to cut down the lip on the exhaust flange where it is just flat on the side that sits near the frame. that got me enough clearance.
saves several hundred dollars that way.
I used the calmini header and petroworks mounts and still had to grind down the frame side of the flange near the spring on the exhaust downpipe for clearance.
Ian_R is offline   Reply With Quote