Go Back   Zukikrawlers > News > Member of the Month
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Member of the Month Zukikrawlers Member of the Month

Old 06-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
25 questions from April's MOM, Ack

Here are the 25 questions answered by April's MOM, Ack:

1) Where are you from, how long have you lived there?

Kansas City, Missouri, That's the bigger, more famous Kansas City. The other one does have a nice NASCAR track... I have lived the KC metro almost all my life.

2) How long have you been interested in suzuki's and offroading?

Owning driving an offroad-capable vehicle has been something that I have wanted to do since the 1950s when I was inspired by Pat Brady's jeep "Nellie Belle" on the Roy Rogers show. Yes, I am THAT Old... I bought a Samurai because it was different, cheaper to own than a Jeep and easy to maintain. Did I mention that it was different?

3) What was your first exposure to off roading?

This is going to sound a bit zany, but I'd have to say Branson's Ride the Ducks. I have such a bad "jones" for Ducks that I have ridden them in Seattle, Austin (actually a stretched Alvis Stalwart FV622) and London, UK. Did you know the London Ducks enter the Thames river next to the MI6 building? That's sorta like driving through the CIA grounds to get to the Potomac...

4) What was your first rig?

1988 Suziki Samurai. It's also my current rig - the Hypnotoad, so named after the camo paintjob that makes it look like the character by the same name on the TV show "Futurama".

Bad-CS on the left, The HypnoToad on the right.

5) How long have you had your current rig, and what work have you done to it?

I purchased the 'Toad in December 1999. The mod list - done mostly by myself - includes:
1.6 8-valve Asian Automotive-prepped (remember them?) engine with a Sumo cam.
Sarge-prepped Weber DGAV 32/36 - now replaced by a ZOR Sidewinder-adapted 44mm Screamin' Eagle Harley carb.
Rears Up Front kit, Breeze 4.5" SPOA (remember them?) purchased from NorthCoast Offroad.
'86 Toyota DC driveshaft adapted with Rock 4X ratadapters.
4.625 Ring and pinions installed with a great deal of help of and thanks to Smuz, the LJ King.
Tracker seats
BFG AT/KO 15x9.5-30 tires.
Ford Bronco "wagon wheel" wheels.
Electric fuel pump
Thorley header
2,25-inch exhaust.
ZOR front bumper with 8k winch.
ZOR Rock Biters
RRO Stage 2 OTT and DIY rear bumper.
ZOR brass shifter sheet.

6) What was your least favorite upgrade? Did you take it off or are you still running it.

I won't mention the vendor mainly because I kind of botched the installation... The rear "DIY" bumper that I opened up the light fixture holes to make them fit easier. Now the lighting fixtures are loose and let in water. Also, the mounting job (He said 'mounting job'...) I did was not the best.

7) Who or what has been your biggest influence? (in any aspect)

A supervisor who once pointed out that a day that you don't learn something is a wasted day.

8) When wheeling are you more likely to camp or stay at a motel?

Motel - especially when it's raining like a cow urinating on a flat rock. Getting caught in the infamous Steam Corners creek flood was no fun! Plus, I'm a city boy who likes a restul bed and maybe a bit of TV to fall asleep to.

9) Do you drive your rig to the trail or trailer?

Trailer?? I don't need no STEEENKIN' trailer!
Ack's Rule #1 of offroading: Your vehicle is transportation that just happens to to not need a road all the time.
If it can't drive it to an offroading event without breaking something, you deserve that agony and expense of towing it back home. (I look forwards to your angry Tweets and emails...)

10) What kind of tow rig do you own, or wish you had?

See question 9, above. That said, a comfy Diesel-powered Ram or Ford and a suitable trailer would be nice...

11) Do you like music on the trail or is the sweet sound of horse power enough for you?

Music drowned out by the thrilling noise made on the trails is not music - although "Cleveland Rocks" can be fun to listen to...

12) You are given a trip anywhere in the world for you (your family) and your rig to go. Where would it be to, and what would you do there?

Hands down - Australia. I'd start in Sydney, drive to Adelaide, take the Stuart Highway across central Australia to Darwin stopping off at Ayrs Rock and Alice Springs, then on to the Great Barrier Reef where I would Ride The Ducks (see Question 3, above) and then back to Sydney for a rest before driving west to Perth to hang with the gang from Auszooks.com...

13) Where is your favorite place to wheel and what is it like?

The Badlands. But I have also enjoyed Dirty Turtle, KansRocks, Zuwharrie and GreenLaning in rural Wales, UK with the gang from Shropshire-suzuki.co.uk

14) Does your family enjoy the sport or tolerate your addiction?

My addiction is tolerated.

15) What has been your favorite upgrade to your rig?

The differentials. 4.625s with the 1.6 8-v, a stock t-case and 30" tires make for enjoyable highway driving. A big Thank-you Smuz for helping to make the dif swap happen!

16) What advice would you give someone new to the sport?

Drive your truck bone-stock first! That way, you know you have screwed up massively when you put on stoopid stuff like fang-like shackles.

17) In your opinion does a title make the rig, or does it have to still be nearly stock to be a Suzuki?

I'm in the "substantially Suzuki" camp - although it's okay to leave key Suzuki components in a buggy...

18) Us zukikrawlers are the "best" people, that being said what kind of rigs do you normally wheel with?

Anyone with an itch to go offroading - although I have a fondness for Zukers especially to see what they have done to their trucks to improve them techinically.

19) What is your best memory of being part of the Zukikralwers family?

It's hard to tell, but it is mostly the occasional forum post or PM telling me how much someone appreciates my dedication to the hobby via Ack's FAQ...

Also, those PMs (not particularly the forum posts, though) that remind me when I am "full of it" in posts where I stray away from my areas of expertise and say stoopid stuff help a lot, too.

20) No rig is perfect, so what has been your biggest stuck to date, or trail breakage, and were you able to fix it on the trail?

My rig got stuck on a steep sand hill next to the creek in the Badlands (you know, on the West side down by the mudholes?) It was before I installed the winch and bumper. A Taco pulled me out....

21) The sh*t hits the fan on a global scale. are you more likely to stick around and defend your "space" or head for the hills and live off the land?

Stick around. You can't help folks get "the Ox out of the ditch" if you are out in the middle of nowhere...

22) Name anyone past or present you would like to wheel with.

Murph. or bIlLy-BoB. Sadly, both have taken different paths in life. Oh and Abraham Lincoln. It would be interesting to get his take on offroading and today's society/technology.

23) Bacon is natures most perfect food. (no question here just a statement I feel should be made more often)

Yes, except for what it does to my heart, I LOVE IT! I miss frying up a whole pound of sliced bacon and spending a couple of hours converting it into BLT sandwiches then eating them.

24) Which is easier to deal with, A. your rig is broke and you dont have the parts to fix it; B. your rig is fine but you dont have the time to use it?

B. I know the 'Toad is always out there in back parked but ready to go when I need it to do something my wimpy Transit Connect can't do. BTW, a Ford Transit Connect can be best described as a Ford Focus with a van body and has no tow package. AT ALL!
It only shares it's the way it looks with it's new big brother the Ford Transit - which will replace the Econoline series.

25) You are handed the "keys" to zukikrawlers what is the first thing you would do?

Find a away to cause the site to automatically host every picture or graphic posted at the site. That way, all the pics and drawings (even in the NWS forum!) would be there for everyone to use and/or enjoy until the end of time.

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
ecoast

ecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond repute
congrats !
what the hell you lookin' down here for?

ecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
isots

isots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond reputeisots has a reputation beyond repute
WooHoo!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Still Zukin

Still Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond reputeStill Zukin has a reputation beyond repute
interesting read, congrats

Still Zukin is offline   Reply With Quote