Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #476
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
So the stock 16v Alternator pulley with fit onto the GM 10or12si?

Easy enough
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #477
tqdowney

tqdowney is an unknown quantity at this point
Great information need to get this done on mine.
tqdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 AM   #478
sunrunner

sunrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Gents, thanks, I just did exactly this to my dad's 93 sunrunner... sidekick/tracker... anyway, seems to work good but I can't turn the rig off. It starts, runs, no charging problems, I turn off the key and nothing, keeps purring along like nothing happened.

Help please, it's my first day working on a sidekick and it's not going great .

Thanks.
sunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #479
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
I think you have it wired incorrectly. Take another look at your wiring. It sounds like you have an ignition wire connected to a charging/battery wire.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #480
sunrunner

Thanks, I have it just like this thread but it's a sidekick, not a Sammie, does that matter? I read somewhere to diode something, another place said to put a high resistance lamp in... Seem like bandaids, I'll keep digging. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #481
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I can't help you, but I do think you have overlooked something, and I really question the need for anything other than what is in this thread.

I have no experience with the Sidkicks, but I understand the Alt wiring is the same. Did you look at post #11?

Post #87 shows which wire that needs a switch.

And post #130, Ack even left the stock plug.
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Old 03-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #482
sunrunner

Ok, looks like the deal is, since there is no charging dash light to offer resistance it creates a loop and keeps the coil energized. I'll add a diode in series from the stud on the back. Research points to that being common when swapping new 12si's into old hotrods.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #483
Reddog1

I gotta ask, how have so many on this forum, installed the GM alternator and not need a diode?

As I previously posted, I have no tracker or kick, so it could simply be ignorance on my part. But, the GM alt is installed on many engines, including tractors. I still think you are overlooking something in your wiring.

I am interested in knowing your final outcome, please post.

Wayne

Old 07-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #484
Smallblock

Smallblock is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put a CS121 on mine using a Low range bracket and a wiring harness adapter so i didn't have to cut the factory harness. I think it fits the space better than a CS130 or 10/12Si. This one did 90 amps on the tester.
Smallblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #485
Reddog1

Looks great, thanks for the input. What was the cost, and source of the CS121?

Wayne

Old 07-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #486
Smallblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
Looks great, thanks for the input. What was the cost, and source of the CS121?

Wayne
It's a lester number 7937-11 for a 89-91 cutlass calais or Buick skylark.
I rebuild alternators for a living and that helped in deciding that a cs121 was best for me.

Heres a size comparison between a cs121 and cs130. They are interchangeable.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #487
Reddog1

What is the advantage of the cs121 over the 12SI?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #488
Smallblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
What is the advantage of the cs121 over the 12SI?
The CS alts will put out more amps at lower RPM,kick in quicker and are more compact. They're just my preference though. None are really that great. I'd take the factory nippo denso over them all any day if they put out more amps.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #489
Reddog1

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #490
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
This post is full solid info

Guys, how have the Summit Racing alts been working?

(I am considering doing the swap and these Summit Racing units are looking like the way to go for me... Interesting Skittle colours too...)
HaOuLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #491
Reddog1

Mine has worked great. Do pay attention to the mounting bolt size compared to the alt hole. Long story, but mine was incorrect, so I have to replace one side of the alt case. I do not see it as an alt fault issue, just a dummy me.

Wayne

EDIT: I suggest a Trail Tough mounting bracket, it will allow for a better fit and belt adjustment than the modified Zuke bracket.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #492
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
Thx Wayne... Is the bolt hole size the same at the top and bottom the same?

I was looking to use the Trail Tough or LROR bracket to mount the alt. The Trail Tough mount does a better job?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #493
Smallblock

the CS alternators should have metric holes. The SI alternators can be either standard or metric. There is a metal shim that will slide in the metric lower hole to make it smaller.

I found a place to get a factory nippo to delco wiring adapters. These were used on Some Geos and some Toyotas that used a special Delco cs121 alternator. Once the mounting bracket cut off they will plug into a GM cs121 or 130. Since I had to take the CS121 off to reclock it because it was gonna hit the motor mount I went ahead and put the cs130 on there.
This is a 7858-11 which is a 87 Camaro alternator. The Factory wiring harness is intact and plugs right in.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #494
HaOuLi

Very nice Smallblock

I would like to keep the wire harness intact. Trying to find the correct Nippon end and would connect it to the GM 2 pin plug.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #495
Reddog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaOuLi View Post
Thx Wayne... Is the bolt hole size the same at the top and bottom the same?

I was looking to use the Trail Tough or LROR bracket to mount the alt. The Trail Tough mount does a better job?
The top and bottom are different. The top of the alt has a 5/16 threaded bolt hole. The bottom has a 3/8 hole, no threads.

It has been a while, but I think some alts have a 7/16" diameter hole with steel bushings to 3/8". Do not take the 3/8" bolt stuff I said as fact, confirm it to be true or not.

Wayne

Old 02-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #496
Reddog1

HaOuLi, I made comments on the lower bolt in posts #396 and #403.

Wayne

Old 03-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #497
KoffeeClutch

KoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond repute
CS130 install video

I just made a full install video on the CS130 alt. upgrade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0gabVE2ek

Used a 100% new Duralast Gold CS130 (DLG1347-5-11):
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...or/115396_0_0/

The CS130 has to have the mounting ear straight across from the lower bolt boss. Also, the mounting ear needs to be the "tall" one (widest bolt spacing).
Nobody ever mentions this:

These alternators were used on Chevy trucks/vans from 1987-1995. P30 step van with 5.7l V8 is the easy application to remember.
Autozone does not stock the Gold 100% new alternators. They got mine to me next day.

Watch video for all details/part numbers (alternator/pigtail plug/belt).
I also show how to properly "clock" the alternator by removing the face.
You will also need a V-belt pulley instead of the serpentine pulley.
Any Chevy v-belt pulley should work. Adventure Off Road also has them for $16

The Nippondenso plug adapter (Part # 461804) is $25 here:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno461804.aspx

This is the part that makes the install "plug and play" but I personally don't like the idea of that.

I used the Duralast 237 AC Delco pigtail and wired the large red sense (S) wire direct to battery terminal positive, and the black (I or F) wire to the Suzuki white/red stripe wire. No other wires on the 4 pin plug are used.

I would not use the stock black/white sense wire as it just goes into the old vehicle harness. Up to you though. I wanted the alternator to correctly see the battery voltage direct from the source and adjust things properly.

Hope this helps everybody. Loving my upgrade!

Last edited by KoffeeClutch; 03-06-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added pic
KoffeeClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #498
Reddog1

A very nice video, and clean wiring. Thanks for going to the trouble.

Wayne

Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #499
KoffeeClutch

KoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond reputeKoffeeClutch has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks! Took a long time to make .

I'm going to be doing a couple more Samurai videos.
One about fixing LED turn signal hyperflash with the right part.
Also another about the importance of having brand new u-joints on your intermediate driveshaft.

If I missed anything in the video...feel free to ask for any clarification.
But I think it speaks for itself. Get those exact parts and wire up the way I said..instant joy.

This upgrade has been great for a bunch of reasons.
Belt tension is much lower. Less noise than the stock alternator.
Engine feels more free running.

And ya can't argue with big amps!
KoffeeClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #500
HaOuLi

Excellent work KoffeeClutch