Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #1
40MikeMike

40MikeMike is an unknown quantity at this point
New guy and engine swap guidance sought.

Hello,
Hoping I can get the ‘if you ere in my shoes’ guidance for a heart tansplant in MY new to me 86 Sammy.
Here is the lowdown:
1.3 eats oil 1qt per fill up nice blue ‘smoke ala ring’
And ole mr Weber hates the bumps and inclines
Building for reliability, NWFL sandy trails, beach cruising, 70 on the hwy and hillability all while wearing 30” skinnier tires.

I do not have the skillset, parts hound dog gene, or time to rock a rebuild or efi conversion myself,(thanks to work) so I’m looking for a reputable shop where I drop off the old engined Sammy and pick up the rig with a new Mill.
Willing to flat tow up to 500miles (I’m from Crestview FL area)
I Know there is Lightning conversions but want more options:
Up to $5K allotted for the routine...
My thinking:
Diesel would be my first choice Kubota even sounds cool..
VW idi turbo..
Fuel injection..(yup that means 16v or 22re or 3rz, etc.)
Followed by my side, pull and replace myself, as last option, Reynolds, AZ sumoII, someone you trust to build an long block, etc.

What would you do (if in my shoes) so to speak?
With the self imposed 5K budget, and easy turn time wanted 2 or 3 mos.

And a big thanks for any replies and guidance.
I plan on posting my trek through all this for others.
40MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Diesel_Zuk

Diesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
There's a guy in Georgia or Alabama, can't remember where exactly, that does samurai builds and works on them, his name is Jerald Rodgers on Facebook. He does great work, and has a great reputation in the samurai community. I personally, would advise against lightning, and extreme zuks offroad in Florida.
Bunch of other random samurais- sold
Diesel_Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
40MikeMike

40MikeMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Diesel Zuk,
Jerald Rodgers seems to have a good relevant FB page, with lots of professional builds.
I’ll be calling him for sure. I knew it was high time to stop lurking this site and start networking, no more blue smoke!
40MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
jplasse

jplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to ZK.

Me being a "west coaster" I feel I can not personally chime in on a specific reputable shop over that direction. Have heard little of Lighting and not many good things of Extreme zuks. I however have no personal experience with either. Just the typical research from being on the forums for multiple years now.

It sounds like with 5k in the budget you'll be able to accomplish what you are going for and look forward to the progress.
87 Zuk, P&P 1.3, .040 9.5 piston, 40mm CV Carb, w/Thorley Header, YJ SPOA Homemade Fr ML's/Rear Shackles, Diff Guards, DT 8000 Shocks, Tracker PS w/ Cooler, Calmini High Steer, 6.5:1 Tcase, Rock4xFab Twin Sticks, RRO Mega Mount, 2" BL, 32" STT's on 15x10 OMF Beadlocks, TT Belly Skid, Homemade Sliders, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, 6k Winch, Onboard Air Viair 450C, GM 100 Alternator, LED Rocklights, Thumb Throttle

jplasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
mattXX

mattXX is an unknown quantity at this point
Howdy! That sounds a good project. Heard some great works of Jerald Rodgers as well, you can't go wrong.
mattXX is offline   Reply With Quote