Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums This section was designed for all later year Zuks.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
sikmusicfreak8

sikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond repute
need helping finding a 5spd

hey guess. input.shaft went on my 5spd and i need.help locating a replacment trans. its a 98 sidekick sport 4x4. what trans can i replace it with? 4x4 and 2wd different? 4 door and 2 door? sport and.non sport? thanks

'87 Samurai - 16v, XJ rears, YJ fronts, Toyota Axles w/4.56 gears, FJ60 steering box w/Saginaw pump
8:1 tcase w/Twin Sticks and ZOR snatch, custom drivelines, comp cuts, 10" stretch, 35's. Build thread here <----

VW 1.9TDI build thread!

'98 Sidekick Sport JLX 4x4
sikmusicfreak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
You need a tranny from a 2 door or 4 door (sport or non sport...doesn't matter). It has to be from a 4x4, or from a 2wd that has a dummy tcase on it.
If you want the 5th gear ratio on the new tranny to match what is in yours, then you need a tranny from a trackick that had a 16V engine.
You will need to swap your sport bellhousing onto the tranny (unless you find a tranny from a sport).
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
sikmusicfreak8

sikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond reputesikmusicfreak8 has a reputation beyond repute
So the difference is only in the bellhousing huh??

Brent at TT said that almost nothing on the SPORT is the same, and that I would need a trans from a SPORT only.

Hearing that, i went ahead and ordered a trans overhaul kit, and I was skeptical at first because the part #s shared with non sport models as well... So from what you said, that is ok then...

'87 Samurai - 16v, XJ rears, YJ fronts, Toyota Axles w/4.56 gears, FJ60 steering box w/Saginaw pump
8:1 tcase w/Twin Sticks and ZOR snatch, custom drivelines, comp cuts, 10" stretch, 35's. Build thread here <----

VW 1.9TDI build thread!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikmusicfreak8 View Post
So the difference is only in the bellhousing huh??

Brent at TT said that almost nothing on the SPORT is the same, and that I would need a trans from a SPORT only.

Hearing that, i went ahead and ordered a trans overhaul kit, and I was skeptical at first because the part #s shared with non sport models as well... So from what you said, that is ok then...
Brent is wrong about the tranny. I have personally put a non-sport tranny into a sport and all I had to do was swap bellhousings.
Right. The part numbers for the rebuild kits would be the same, since the trannys themselves are the same between sports and non-sports.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
sikmusicfreak8

Well Ill be damned. I could have saved some coin buying a good used trans instead of having the shop rebuild this one. Oh well, new trans and new clutch, should be very nice and last the rest of this suckers life.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

VW 1.9TDI build thread!