Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums This section was designed for all later year Zuks.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
allout

allout is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission ID help

Hey guys. I have a 94 Tracker 4x4 5spd. My transmission synchros are gone and so is the input shaft snout where the pilot bearing rides. I got a used transmission from a guy and he was unsure of the year. My question is this: my transmission only has one switch on the top for reverse lights and this other one I want to put in has 2 switches on the top. What is the other one for and can I use this transmission? Also the bellhousing is a bit different but I can throw my bellhousing on. Other than that it looks identical.

Thanks
allout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
shorty
Zuki SPCA

shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
second switch is forward telling an ECM when the transmission is in 5th gear

Family values = discounted rates at Chuck E. Cheese

Founding member of the post padders union
TX State Rep for Local 10001

pie

shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
allout

So I should be able to use this tranny then as mine does not have that? I think this is from an earlier model, maybe 89 just by the serial numbers on the tranny. My 94 tranny serial # is R157786 and the other one is L214104. I believe the first letter is the year.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, that sounds like an earlier tranny. The early ones had the 2 switches on the tranny, the later ones only had 1.
As you noticed, there are 2 types of bellhousings used on these trannys too. But they are interchangable. So like you say, just use your old bellhousing on the new tranny and it will bolt up and work fine.
The only difference that you may want to consider, is trackick trannys that came behind 16V engines have a .795 5th gear. The trannys that came behind 8Vs had a .86 5th gear ratio.
The "L" designation on the other tranny says it is a 1990. In 90, the only engines that were available were 8Vs. So it will have a .86 5th gear. So as long as you have an 8V, the ratios will match. If you have a 16V, then the other tranny will make your engine run higher RPMs, when the tranny is in 5th gear, compared to your engine RPMs now.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
allout

Thanks Skyhiranger. I do have the 8V. The tranny is now in and working fine. I switched over the bellhousing and just hooked up the front switch which is the backup lights. All seems to be working fine.
Cheers