PDA

View Full Version : Shock Question

BUDWIISER
03-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Ok, I got to thinkin..... I busted the "eye" of the shock that attaches to the mount. Easy enough, just weld it. Well, the question I need answered is, are they steel? not aluminum?

I know, if I were at home, I could walk out in the backyard and find out myself. The problem is that I'm at work, and this quesiton's kinda nagging me.

So, I'm sure most of you know this off the top of your head. Can I expect to get home and just weld it back?

Itsmejoe231
03-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I am pretty sure it is carbon steal. I know you are not home but when you are one good way to check is to put a magnet on it. It will stick to the carbon steal and not to the alluminum.

Be sure to grind off the old weld and clean it up real good to make a quality weld. Oh, and remove the ruber bushing too.:mrgreen:

Sally
03-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Before you weld the eye on just to break it back off . Did you fix the allignment problem that caused the shock to break in the first place.
How did it break?

Vagabond
03-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Is your shock functioning as a bump stop?

DesertZuki
03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Don't worry about that, "What-caused-it-to-break" crap. Fix it like Harley-Davidson would -- just weld on a bunch more steel! Pretty soon you should have that Zuk weighing in close to 3000 lbs.

(...sarcasm intended...)

mahana79
03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
I have broke both of my fronts. i busted the eye off of the shaft. i pulled the poly bushing and cleaned them up and welded them back on. i went slow and alternated back and forth giveing them time to cool in between. i also extended them out all the way to keep the heat as far away from the body of the shock to keep from ruining the o-rings on the plunger. i busted both of mine ont eh same trip. i already had YJ's and they had worked great then threw M/L's into it and over extended then and POW!!!! apart they came. Oh and they are 18" travel Doetch Techs pre runners

BUDWIISER
04-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Man, I dropped the ball on this one. Ask a question, get all these responses, and never get back on. Sorry bout that, guess I didn't realize ya'll were posting.

Let's see, I got it all welded back. No problems there. What caused it, that's a good question. I'm pretty sure it's not serving as a bump stop, but I'll check on that tonight.

I think that the weld was already broken, and it just took some time for it to separate to where I noticed it. Remember, I'm a rookie, so I'm sure I'm not very hard on my rig as compared to some of ya'll.

Thanks again!

DesertZuki
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for getting back! I love knowing how the story ends... :mrgreen:

BUDWIISER
04-11-2006, 08:53 AM
No problem, for some reason I didn't have notifications on for this thread and got busy with work. That work stuff sure gets in the way sometimes!

DesertZuki
04-11-2006, 08:54 PM
...That work stuff sure gets in the way sometimes!Yeah, work is always getting in the way of me getting stuff done...