PDA

View Full Version : 4-Speed Kick Auto?

DesertZuki
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
In an attempt make up for a lack of gears; I am thinking about going with an auto trans. I have the 4-speed Sidekick auto out of a '96 that is left over from my engine swap. From what I've heard, this swap will work (please correct me if I'm wrong). I will have to:
-widen the trans hump
-shorten the intermediate drive shaft
-make a new tranny support (or let the Mighty Kong do the work?)
-install and plumb a tranny cooler (I was thinking about using the Kick radiator?)
-wire the tranny into the ecu

The real question though is: Is it worth it? I've never wheeled an auto, but I've never wheeled a manual with deep gears (I'm currently 56:1 with 4.16s in the t-case). I have noticed on the trail, the auto jeep guys do a lot better than the manual jeep guys. This is not intended to start an auto vs manual debate, I just want to know how this tranny will perform with the gearing that I have. I know that the gearing in the Kick tranny and the gearing in my XJ tranny are almost identical and, while I don't really wheel the Jeep, it can crawl and do well -and- it has stock t-case gears (2.7:1) where I'll be 4.16:1.

Sorry for the vague questions but I do not know enough about the auto to make a decision about it.

mahana79
03-07-2006, 12:24 AM
The real question though is: Is it worth it?

I will be running an auto. If you want you can think of the torque converter as a variable gear reduction. it can vary the reduction anywhere from 1:1 to 3:1 according to most Auto Transmission Profesionals. As you give it gas the speed differences int he two halves of the TC increases which will increase the virtual gear reduction therefore making it easier to drive. You can compound this by "powerbraking" creating a stall effect. but a side affect is the build up of heat which can kill a auto in no time. try to keep tranny temps below 250 degrees and your tranny will lice a long and happy lifejamminzz

DesertZuki
03-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Ok, so a tranny temp gauge is in order. Makes sense. Thanks.

POWERSTROKEN
03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I am not sure what I liked more in my previous rig the V6 or the auto? the auto tranny was great. If you go that rout you could add the OTT kicker set up with a kick case to a Zuk or toy case down the road if you like? Jim

Droopypete
03-07-2006, 07:51 PM
A few points to consider, first some pro's
auto's are great to drive, the power delivery is smooth and for technical up hill work, and blasting in a mud hole or body of water, an auto is king.
the transmision is sealed (to a point) so you can change gears in mud and water without the risk of getting crud between your cluch plate and pressure plate/flywheel.
the tourque converter mutiplys your gearing as mahana79 said.

but there are some cons,
you will loose the amount of "compression braking" you had with the manual trans and no amount of de-stall converters or manual valve bodies are going to get it back, be prepared to use your brakes more.
reverse gear in an auto is designed to get a car out of a driveway, however as we all know, in a 4x4 reverse gets just as much of a hiding as the forward gears, I am not saying it will fail, just be aware.
an auto needs a cooler, and to me it is just some more hoses to fail out in the bush.
Peter.

POWERSTROKEN
03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Running down an oncline in low gear will cause them to build up heat. Depending on the incline the heat will vary.

DesertZuki
03-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I am not sure what I liked more in my previous rig the V6 or the auto? the auto tranny was great. If you go that rout you could add the OTT kicker set up with a kick case to a Zuk or toy case down the road if you like? Jim
Good to hear you had an auto and liked it. I get the impression you're no stranger to rocks:mrgreen:. Good point with the auto and the OTT.

...the power delivery is smooth and for technical up hill... Good to know! This is my greatest performance concern.

...the transmision is sealed (to a point) so you can change gears in mud and water without the risk of getting crud between your cluch plate and pressure plate/flywheel. I've seen real mud before (in pics):mrgreen:...

...you will loose the amount of "compression braking"... be prepared to use your brakes more... This is okay. I really liked compression braking, but I'm pretty sure I can live without it.

...reverse gear...I did a little math here. The ratio between the Sammy 1st/Rev and the ratio between the Kick 1st/Rev is close: Kick = 2.826/2.703 = 1.04, Zuk = 3.652/3.466 = 1.05 (if that's how ratios can be figured).

...to me it is just some more hoses to fail out in the bush...Probably the best argument against.

Running down an oncline in low gear will cause them to build up heat. Depending on the incline the heat will vary.I did not realize this but it does make sense; the torque converter is still working..

Thanks for your time and the input! :bigok:

rockrat
03-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I run a auto trans in mine and I would never go back, in fact I plan to put one in my daily driver zuk. I don't have any problems with over heating, works great. in fact jeff runs one in his and loves it.

rockrat
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
As far as the tranny support goes I used the stock one with some modification. the problem is that with the stock one you must pull the engine to remove the tranny, once my suspension is complete I will make one that is removeable so you don,t have to pull the engine. If you find yourself in vegas, I can show you what I have, and how I did it.

DesertZuki
03-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. And thanks for the offer -- I'd like to take you up on it. I'm always open for ideas. I never thought far enough ahead to think I might have to pull the engine to drop the auto trans.

rockrat
03-14-2006, 12:25 AM
I didn't think that far ahead either, so far everything works out fine but it will be a problem in the future.