PDA

View Full Version : Project "Sell Out"

purevil71
01-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Please feel free to post any commits on my new project. :D

Looking at doing a Toy axles swap, yes that's right...MR HARDCORE SAMI AXLE GUY IS DOING YOTA'S!! :shock:

Set up will be 5.29's, locked F/R, and 36" Swampers, Toy PS as well. MAYBE Hydro Asst (still working on that). This is going to be an extreme budget build, and a full write up will be posted on I-Zook for all to enjoy.

Planning on 2" lift perches to help clear the front hogs head and match up to the stock sami springs. Rears will match of course, and the front will also be drilled 1" off center to move the front axle foward just a tad.

Like I said, let me know what ya think!

imported_TX_ZUKI
01-09-2006, 06:16 PM
You will stretch it right? you know you will eventually! :mrgreen:

Itsmejoe231
01-09-2006, 06:28 PM
You will stretch it right? you know you will eventually! :mrgreen:

Might as well do it now in this build. I know i wish I did. Seems like I did the same job twice, once to put the toy axles in and then redid it all to stretch it front and rear.

imported_TX_ZUKI
01-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Opps, he did say he was going to move the front forward a tad. Might as well do the rear also! :D

simplesam
01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the sell out tag line. I think it might be closer to towing the party line.

purevil71
01-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the sell out tag line. I think it might be closer to towing the party line.

Calling it project "Sell Out" cuz some of the guys in the club are giving me crap for doing Toy axles and not sticking with the Sami stuff (which I have still yet to break). BUT, I have a set of 36's calling my name...lol

I'm moving the axles a little but not much. Just a inch in the front and maybe an inch in the rear as well. Looking at doing coils and 1/4 ellip later on in the summer, so I'll stretch is some more then. I'd do it now, but it's just NOT in the budget. I'll need a fuel cell then too.

Itsmejoe231
01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
I am stretched in the rear without a fuel cell but I am also a little higher than I really want to be. I am using the 4" lifting yj's that have been stressed out so they are probably a 2" lift over stock yj's.

IMHO, if you are going to install 36" tires I think you will have to use something more that sami springs and 2" blocks You might be able to do it by sawzalling some fenders.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to watching the build.

purevil71
01-09-2006, 10:04 PM
IMHO, if you are going to install 36" tires I think you will have to use something more that sami springs and 2" blocks You might be able to do it by sawzalling some fenders.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to watching the build.

Well, I'm currently running RUF with CJ's out back, and got lots of room thanks to VERY little sheet metal....lol

http://www.godzuki.us/snow%20(46).jpg

Itsmejoe231
01-09-2006, 10:19 PM
OK. I see your sawzall and sheet metal have met before. :-)

purevil71
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Yea, there pretty good buddies....lol
Gonna have to tweek that rear dove tail some more though...BUT, it's no biggie!!!
I'll introduce him to my lil friend...BFH!!!

Itsmejoe231
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
lol

purevil71
01-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, axles are in...went smooth as silk (almost). Took us all of about 4 hours to get in it the garage, and back out with new go-getters underneath. Rides really nice with the wider stance, and as soon as I get the 36's on, should be even better (right now sitting on 32's). 2" lift perches worked well for adding extra clearance on the passy side front axle and the extra lift isn't really noticable.

Total cost of build..$1090

Thats not including the stuff I've sold off of my Samurai, and the parts off of the truck I got the axles out of. Thats just actual out of pocket expence.

Look for a complete write up on I-Zook on the build, parts cost, and what I've made off of sold parts. Doing this from a real world, working mans approach!

zukiWilson
01-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Glad to hear it went well! I'm going to get mine next weekend! Did you pick out tires yet?

purevil71
01-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Glad to hear it went well! I'm going to get mine next weekend! Did you pick out tires yet?

36x12.5x15 Swamper TSL SX's.....Just got them today. I might have some rubbing issues with the crossover steering depending on the BS of the wheels the tires are on. The 32's are on stock Toy rims and don't have enough.
If you need any help, feel free to give me a yell.....

holeshot
01-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Look for a complete write up on I-Zook on the build,

I looked on I-Zook for your build, Couldnt find. Maybe I wasnt looking in the right spot, but could you link the build over here.
Thanks.

purevil71
01-20-2006, 12:59 AM
I looked on I-Zook for your build, Couldnt find. Maybe I wasnt looking in the right spot, but could you link the build over here.
Thanks.

It's not on there yet....I'll let ya know when it is....

I'll put a write up about it in the Tec scetion on here....

purevil71
01-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Thought I'd throw a couple of pix up see what ya all thought....
(anyone have a door I can have....lol)

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1478138-DSCF0012.JPG

purevil71
01-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Another.....

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1478141-DSCF0011.JPG

zukiWilson
01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Alright!!

purevil71
01-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Alright!!

You comming down this summer and wheelin with us???

zukiWilson
01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
You better believe it!!! Badlands for sure! I still want to check out Haspin Acres and Redbird. I'm picking the axles up TOMORROW! Ever heard of RTI Fabrication?

purevil71
01-27-2006, 02:36 PM
We have a Fab Fest comming up in May, your (and anyone else in the Mid-West) welcome to attend.
Project right now is looking like a SPOA set up on a stocker. And who know's WHAT else we'll tear into.
I got all of my stuff yesterday for my Toy power steering swap, so thats going to be next on my LONG list of to-do's.

zukiWilson
01-27-2006, 07:19 PM
I'll be done with school for the year in May..... let me know the dates, and get some more pics up! I want to see what you did to the back of your zuk since you already had a set up like mine.

purevil71
01-27-2006, 10:28 PM
let me know what ya want, and I'll see what I can do!

zukiWilson
01-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Your leaf springs were already outboarded weren't they? Are you still running the same leaf spring setup that you had before the swap? I'm just curious.

purevil71
01-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes, I liked the way my suspension was working before, so I didn't change anything there (RUF, CJ's rear with goofy's) as far as the springs goes. I did move my shocks some though.

I need to move my front upper shock mounts still and it should be back to normal up front. I moved my front axle a few inches foward when I put the Toy's in, so the shocks are at a bad angle.

I also move my rear shocks in some on the axle so there not as angled as they were before.

17ssamurai
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
the build up is looking good, are the cjs that you have in the rear front stock cjs? did you get the same amount of lift in the front as in the rear. i am doing the same setup but so far not looking to be the same,
need some cheeeaaap way to do my steering w/toyota axles any pointers?

zukiWilson
01-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Picked up my 85' Toy axles today! I'll start my build-up thread once I get everything together...

zukiWilson
01-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Braun, what kind of steering setup do you have right now? Do you have PS?

purevil71
01-29-2006, 10:05 PM
the build up is looking good, are the cjs that you have in the rear front stock cjs? did you get the same amount of lift in the front as in the rear. i am doing the same setup but so far not looking to be the same,
need some cheeeaaap way to do my steering w/toyota axles any pointers?

I'm running front CJ's out back, and it did even my ride out a little. When I was running stock sami springs out back and RUF it had sort of a pre-runner look to it. It was an easy swap for me as well. Only thing I had to do was make a longer set of Goofy's out back.

I have a home made crossover set up on there right at the moment, but as soon as I save some cash, I'm going with SKY's crossover over set up. Not that I don't trust the one I have, but the SKY set up is sweet!

purevil71
02-01-2006, 11:49 PM
OK...not trying to post pad or anything here....lol
I moved my front shock towers yesterday and put them at less of an angle and more straight up and down (moved the axle foward an inch, thought the mounts would be fine, they weren't).
Plus I adjusted them for the bigger tires....seems to have better flex and a LOT more droop. This is almost max stuff (little over 33" high here) so the big tars don't get into the body, but I have a lot more droop still.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5935/dscf00430kw.jpg

zorproducts
02-02-2006, 04:00 AM
I am really interested in seeing a close up of the front shock tower. I am working on my tube buggy and I need to make something extra strong.
My

purevil71
02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm just using the good old Ford shock towers. I had to add to them some cuz they weren't quite long enough (I had cut them to fit when I first put them on back in '02).

They work really well, and come with two holes in place to bolt onto the frame, as well as being able to weld them on.