PDA

View Full Version : U-joint

germ
03-05-2006, 04:18 PM
What is the easiest way to change a u-joint in a factory rear d/s? I've never changed a u-joint i'm sure its not that hard. I just want to know the easiest way to get that little c-clip out?

Jeremy

zukking01
03-05-2006, 09:09 PM
To get it out use a channel clock or same type plyer. Squeese and lift. I changed mine on friday. Then you block up the d line with the joint up/down with nothing underneath (1" gap from hitting anything) pound on the top cap and the joint will shift. Grap the shifted out cap with channel lock and loosen back and forth while pulling out. Then continue to pound out cap thats now inside till you can slide it out of the center with the center section of the joint. !!DO NOT BREAK ZERG FITTING. MAKE SURE THE ZERG IN ON TOP SIDE OF CENTER WHEN POUNDING DOWN SO YOU DONT BREAK IT!!

muskyslayr
03-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Get yourself some snapring pliers... If you spring for the extra few bucks you can get the ones that both pinch and spread. For both inside and outside snap rings. they usually come with a few different tips also. :mrgreen:

germ
03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
thanks for all the info I will let everyone know how thing come out when i get to work on it i'm out of town right now.

zukking01
03-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I forgot that the zuk has little eyelets in the original joints. I switched my rears out for 1/2 ton joints and they came with better clips that can be grabbed with channel locks. Sorry about that.

germ
03-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the info I know how to change a u-joint now. I will be doing it again really soon my d/s flange is bent out so I need to get another one. Once again thanks for all the info.

zuknstien
03-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I chaged mine just last night, I had a problem with the ears bending on me then it would not go in far enough to put the clip on it was a pain it the ass.

germ
03-10-2006, 02:20 AM
What if I heated the flange and beat it until it straight would that make it weak and cause it to break????

zukking01
03-10-2006, 08:19 AM
You dont want to do that. Take a pic of the exact flange you want and tell wich one it is. If you want I might have on or be able to get one from the junk yard. I will be goint saturday-tomorrow. If you want me to get you one if its there.

germ
03-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I have four sammi's I'm sure I have another I can use until I go to the junkyard to pick one up. But thanks for the offer.

ack
03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
What if I heated the flange and beat it until it straight would that make it weak and cause it to break????

BAD IDEA!

replace the flange. They are cheap @ the junkyard.

For chaning bearings in a yoke, I would stop by your local auto parts store and borrow a yoke removal tool. O'Reilly's rent them for free and they work better than banging the bearings out with a hammer.

If you haven't replaced yoke bearings, it can be a mildly expensive learning process if you do it solo. Try not to crush the roller bearings or compress the yoke ears with too much pressure.

xanthias
03-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I often use a pair of sockets and a vice to change u-joints