PDA

View Full Version : SPOA now terrible ride

Scott1981
02-28-2006, 12:15 AM
It seems that after my recent SPOA the shocks bottom out badly, esp the rears. I am looking for some decent shocks that will give me the travel to flex out the lift but not break the bank. Any ideas?

TX_ZUKI
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
How are your shocks mounted?
Mine were like this l l and rode like crap! Put them like this / \ and it made a huge difference!

alilrusty
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
im not gonna put any on mine just to see what happens

Sally
02-28-2006, 12:28 AM
x2
ebay usually has some good deals on shocks
measure for what length you need and look around

make your own mounts and and spend more on a better brand of shocks IMHO

Sally
02-28-2006, 12:31 AM

wait till your cornering at high speeds and youl feel the body roll that will cause
it will work offroad but I would not recommend that for street driving ever
take your shocks off and rock the truck a few time you will see how much roll the body will have

Scott1981
02-28-2006, 12:59 AM
How are your shocks mounted?
Mine were like this l l and rode like crap! Put them like this / \ and it made a huge difference!

Mine are still in the factory places. I just have the SKY SPOA lift. Should I change the angle or just the shocks?

snakeman
02-28-2006, 01:59 AM
I would either build or buy a new rear shock mount (upper). By having the /\ instead of II, They will move less for more travel. If that makes sense.

I have a very similar problem, and have to redo my exhaust to move my shocks. I know Sky has an "adjustable" upper rear shock mount, but they are not hard to build. I made one for my old 84 toyota, I just have to crawl under and see how much room is there to work with.

Billjohn
02-28-2006, 09:34 AM
wait till your cornering at high speeds and youl feel the body roll that will cause
it will work offroad but I would not recommend that for street driving ever
take your shocks off and rock the truck a few time you will see how much roll the body will have

You need to go for a ride with me at ZookiMelt...
I have mine angled at about 45 degrees and I have almost no noticable body roll at speed. I use Rancho adjustables at the second highest setting in back and it controls everything. And when I am on the trail it articulates very smoothly. :mrgreen:

TX_ZUKI
02-28-2006, 09:45 AM
You need to go for a ride with me at ZookiMelt...
I have mine angled at about 45 degrees and I have almost no noticable body roll at speed. I use Rancho adjustables at the second highest setting in back and it controls everything. And when I am on the trail it articulates very smoothly. :mrgreen:I think Sally is saying with no shocks. smokin

DesertZuki
02-28-2006, 09:55 AM
No shocks = big bounce and no-go on hill climbs too.

RIVERZUK
02-28-2006, 11:13 AM

A buddy of mine tried that and almost every time he went out it ended up on its side. Not a good idea.

Scott1981
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Ok after looking online for a couple hours I am more confused than ever. Sky offers front shock hoops, rear shock towers to lean the rear shocks in. On the Trail Tough FAQ they say that leaning the rear shocks in does not improve ride, but makes it worse. Sky also sells what appears to be a lower shock mount that welds directly to the axle allowing use of longer shocks.

I dont mind spending a lil coin here to get it done right. I plan on a RUF very soon so would like to have the shocks and shock mounts that can take advantage of the additional flex the RUF offers. What combination of parts (shock mounting parts) will allow me to run the longest shock that will flex best? I can measure the distance on the mounts and order the shocks myself, but what mounting system is preffered?

DesertZuki
02-28-2006, 08:58 PM
On the Trail Tough FAQ they say that leaning the rear shocks in does not improve ride, but makes it worse.
The shock does its work best straight up and down. The reason guys angle them is to get a longer shock in a location that would require a shorter shock -- unless you want to run your shocks through the floorboard. Angled shocks may be non-optimal, but they do work in the space you have under the Zuk. And you wouldn't have a hard time making an upper bracket for a set up like that, even with limited fabrication skills. A lot of guys run their shocks this way and it does work (like me :mrgreen:). Its just not perfect (like me :mrgreen:). If you can find a better way, do it.

john1974
02-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Napa sells monroes heres the part numbers
I got them on mine, rears are alittle stiff, but it flexes good.
#94088 think those are rears, but maybe find ones similar in compressed legnth, and extend but more rated for smaller trucks
#94052 are for the front..work real nice..
by the way mine are all mounted in stock spots.

Fronts were like 14.00 backs 22.00 dollars

John

Itsmejoe231
02-28-2006, 11:40 PM
rears are alittle stiff, ......by the way mine are all mounted in stock spots.

if you inboarded your shocks it would not be as stiff.

Vagabond
03-02-2006, 12:25 AM
You have to move the bottom shock mounts. It's crazy to use the old ones mounted up so high. New shocks will not solve the problem. Best thing is to weld new mounts on the axle.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryCode=3548J&SearchFor=Shock%20Mounts%20%2D%20Universal

Scott1981
03-02-2006, 07:53 AM
You have to move the bottom shock mounts. It's crazy to use the old ones mounted up so high. New shocks will not solve the problem. Best thing is to weld new mounts on the axle.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryCode=3548J&SearchFor=Shock%20Mounts%20%2D%20Universal

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks man! Do the same with the front?

Vagabond
03-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Yea. These mounts might fit better:
http://www.trailtough.com/suspension.htm

Scott1981
03-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Yea. These mounts might fit better:
http://www.trailtough.com/suspension.htm

Awesome thanks for the link. I have been buying all my stuff from Sky as he has been nice enough to always call me back and answer even some of the dumbest questions I have. I ordered those exact things but from him today, should have them in a week or so. I guess I should get those welded on then do the flex test to determine what shock I need right?

After this I plan on better shackles with maybe 1/2" or 3/4" or lift then its time to move on to the TC reduction.

DesertZuki
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Will we be seeing pics of the work??

Sally
03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I think Sally is saying with no shocks. smokin

correct
:mrgreen:

Scott1981
03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Sure I will post a couple up in the pictures section