PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk 10-bolts

xanthias
02-25-2006, 08:49 AM
In the fine tradition of all proud Sammi owners everywhere, I was sitting around thinking about cheap full-width axles. With our whopping 62HP or so stock and very light weight, seems to me the common-as-dirt 10-bolt GM axles would fit the bill for, say the 35" to 38" range.

Why not? Ok, here's my questions/thoughts:

Needed-
1. 10 bolt axles (duh), but preferably not the sadly most-common 3.07 ratio. I think 4.10's would be the absolute minimum for this and, even then, you're going to need t-case gearing to go with it. Of course, you might actually find someone who's spent the money to put 4.56's in them.
2. Driveshafts - seems to me the Chevy front CV shafts used in the blazers would fit the bill, ideally the NP203 flange-style, which could be easily modified for our t-case application.
3. Weld the axles, or spool them.
4. Adapt S-10 power steering (?) and a cross-over setup.

Seems like the pros would be how dirt cheap it would be. People are basically giving those 10-bolts away and my guess is, they could live indefinitely under a Sammi.

I know this has been talked about before, but I haven't seen anything on it since the board was rebuilt not long ago. I'm also betting some of you have done it, if not with 10-bolts, then with 12bolts and D44's. I know TX_Zuki has a 14FF and D44, but that starts moving past the "Cheap First" rule . . .

TX_ZUKI
02-25-2006, 09:41 AM
It wouldn't suprise me if a Zuki axle is stronger then a 10 bolt. I would stick with a 12 bolt or D44. Strong axles if you stay uner a 38" tire, many gearing optins and they are a dime a dozen.

My old steering box was from a 78 Chevy 3/4 ton and worked great, I wonder if boxes are available at junk yards? I would think so for those year Chevys.

zukking01
02-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I am in the process of putting a 10 bolt in the rear with 3.73 and I have t case gears 18% hight 127% low. The front will be a d44. I have tracker p/s but want to upgrade the pump. I will try to do a write up in a week or 2. They will stick out approx 7-9" on each side.

xanthias
02-25-2006, 10:52 AM
mmk. but driveshafts? CV's?

TatorZuk
02-25-2006, 11:12 AM
mmk. but driveshafts? CV's?

Toyota,...cheap...plentiful...virtually bullet proof...easily adaptable...did I mention cheap???:mrgreen:

Zee
02-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Okay folks,lets dispell some myths about the 10 bolt axles.
1) there is minimal difference in the ring gear diameter of the front 10 bolt vs 44. They are both 8.5" ring gear.
2) '86 up 10 bolts have thicker and more spline count 30 spline axles stock,compared to early versions.
Here are some pros and cons for each:

rear:
Pro : 10-bolt High ground clearance/very easy to find/Warn full float kit available.
Con: C-clip design/smallest ring & pinion of the bunch/considered weak

rear:
Pro:12-bolt High ground clearance/Larger ring & pinion/carrier bearings than 10-bolt/Warn full float kit available
Con: C-clip design/not as strong as 14-bolt axles/getting harder to find heavy

Front:
Pro:10-bolt Stronger axle shafts available easy to find .
Con: 0.313" wall axle tubes/most were 28 spline axle shafts ,'86 and later are 30 spline.
Dana 44 30 spline axle shafts/0.5" wall axle tubes
Con: Necked-down axle shaft section

I know that Dana 44 flat tops can be directly bolted on to Corp 10 bolts to make high steer,Dana 44 8 lug and Corp 10 8 lug parts will interchange.
the bearing and hubs are the same so long as you use the big bearing or internal hub design.yes the external design will work,but it is more expensive.

Here is a link to some good axle info:
http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

With the minimal wt of a Zuk a 10 bolt will be more than adequate.
Also,most pepole around here throw 10 bolts away,so a supply of cheap or free parts are available.
My 85 K5 ran a 14B FF in the rear,and a 10 bolt that i converted to 8 lug using 44 parts in the front,4.56 gears WELDED. 39.5" Swampers.
that is a rig with a wt of 5K + vs a Zuk at 2300 lb maybe.
Just my .02 ,take it for what it's worth.
Z
one other thing,a open knuckle axle will have a better turning radius than a closed knuckle.

zukking01
02-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Appreciate the info ZEE. Thanks.