PDA

View Full Version : D44 Flat top knuckle question

ddement
02-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I have a dana 44 with the flat top knuckles. What is required as far as drilling tapping etc. to mount high steer arms on them.

I may be building a 44/toy or 44/9" hybird front axle and a 9" for the rear instead of the toys.

I cant seem to find someone that makes custom length toy axles, not just cut and resplined ones.

Hardline
02-21-2006, 10:45 PM
You must chuck them up in a mill and mill the tops flat. Then transfer the holes and drill and tap them. JJ

kszuk
02-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I had the tops of mine machined flat, I then had the pass. drilled and tapped in an exact mirror image of the driver side. I had it tapped to 9/16 fine thread for a little extra beef on that side. I hand cut my own spacers and arms for crossover/hi-steer. I used hiems instead of TRE's so no tapered bit or conical washers required, been beating this set up regularly for over 2 years with zero problems. Although it's rarely driven on the highway, I can cruise at 65 with minimal vibrations from the unbalanced 38" TSL's and almost zero bump steer and no steering stabilizer either.

Have you looked up Dutchman axles? http://www.dutchmanms.com/4_axles.html Several heep guys I know got custom axle shafts from them.