PDA

View Full Version : looking for more clearance

elotsip
02-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi,
I have an 86 sammy with the TT YJ concersion, 5 leaf stock YJ springs, 33" boggers, 4.9 Tcase, rear locker, welded front and some other junk.

At full flex I am really stuffing the 33" hard int the wheel wells and tearing them up. I am looking for some alternatives to allow more clearance for the tires. I am rebuilding a set of 82 toyota axles that I will be swapping out soon. I figure my options are lifted YJ springs, body lift, tube front clip and sawzall on the body. I don't have the cash to go to coils or air shocks right now. Any other options? I'd also like to try to keep it street legal.

Thanks,
Billy

muskyslayr
02-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Got bumpstops on it? There are alot of guys that would be able to tell you more about 'em than me but I've heard that bumpstops really don't affect your flex as much as you'd think. Once your axle housing hits the bumpstop a pivot point is created, the more your stuff one side the oposite end is forced down, at the same time it's keeping your other tire from stuffing too far up in there... Guys? Am I on track here?:confused:

Billjohn
02-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Bingo!

elotsip
02-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Sweet, I got what you are talking about. I just have the regular stock bump stops which obviously don't work right with my set up. That's great stuff. I think I can just add a lower bump stop and that will keep me from trashing my tires and body and still give me plenty of flex.

Got another question. I've heard from a few people that it's a good idea to cut the top if the c clip off the YJ spring packs. They've said it will allow more flex downward but by keeping the U shape it will still keep your springs together. What do you guys think about this. Any negatives to this?

snakeman
02-21-2006, 12:56 AM
We just open them up that way they help keep things in alignment.

I need to do bumpstops too. Just find a controlable "flex spot" like a ramp. Drive up until you reach your desired "stuff", measure the distance between current bumpstop and where it whould be. Make new (I have urethane pieces for this from my old work) bumpstops, recheck. repeat for the opposite end.

elotsip
02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Snakeman, we should do this on both our rigs one weekend. I saw a pretty cool design which used square tube and the stops were adjustable.

Pics are here:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,33616.15.html

snakeman
02-21-2006, 07:42 PM
I NEED to pull my YJ's, and ditch them. They are wayyyyy too stiff. Get some Stock 5 leaf packs, rework my front shock mounts, install the PS stuff, and either get new wheels or run spacers.

Then worry about bumpstops. But Yeah, we both have lots to do (same) to our rigs. We should just have a work party.

alilrusty
02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
i took a saw saw to mine but i dont you wanna do that but its a worse case scenario idea

elotsip
02-22-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm trying to avoid the sawzall route. My wife doesn't like that idea and it was her truck to begin with so she has final approval on all mods. :D

Snakeman, a work party sounds like a good idea. We should include tin top as well perhaps.

snakeman
02-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Of course, just be careful, he is picking up a donor motor today.

Guess where its from!

:mrgreen: