PDA

View Full Version : My Propane Install

ThreeEyedBandit
04-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Yesterday I finally got un-lazy and started/finished my propane install. But I went a different way, Dual-Fuel. Why some may ask? Its because my first experience with propane(a subaru) was great just alway a pain when it ran out of fuel. So enough jibberjabberramblings, heres my one most informative picture....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/100_0744ReSizedLabeled_copy.jpg

So what I did was remove the mixer portion from trusty Impco CA-100, build an adapter plate to bolt it on to the top the the FI throttle body. Then procede with the regular propane install(tank, fuel lock, line, vaporizer, then carb/mixer). So how does this all work, basically dont power up the ECU and it runs on LPG, power up the ECU and turn off the LPG and its running on regular petrol. Simple.

I am very impressed at how easy and simple this all works. Works equally as good as EFI, and cleaner, cheaper, less invasive.... Also does anybody know of a good rebuild kit avalilble with high comp pistons, and how much material you can safley remove from the head?

mighty midjet
04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
sweet set up! i plan on doing dual fuel as well as soon as i get my new drive train. are you using one switch to turn off the ecu and turn on the lpg or two separate switches?

flea
04-16-2007, 08:03 AM
like the concept

ThreeEyedBandit
04-17-2007, 11:52 AM
sweet set up! i plan on doing dual fuel as well as soon as i get my new drive train. are you using one switch to turn off the ecu and turn on the lpg or two separate switches?

I have a single switch that just interupts the power wire from the key to the main relay for the computer, so the computer just thinks the car is off the whole time. Then the other side of the switch goes to LPG solenoid right at the vaporizer, this way just turn the car off when going from LPG to gas and it will actually switch from the ECU to LPG without turning the car off.

jbzukin
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM
hmmmm, guess you could do the same with a carb and an electric fuel pump.
thoughts???

ThreeEyedBandit
04-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I dont see why not, other than you need to run the float bowl out of fuel before you start it up on LPG.

shorty
04-17-2007, 03:55 PM
yeppers and the fuel will go bad if you don't use it often enough... I would have just gone straight propane...

ARnMAG
04-17-2007, 05:32 PM
nice work!! cool set up!