PDA

View Full Version : what should i use?

fuctzookis.a.
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
hey guys, lookin to clean my blocks up, cylinder heads and all the innerds and was wondering what you all use?
i imagine it would have to be pretty hard core crap to get all that grease and grim off of parts. carb cleaner just aint cuttin it. i need cost effective yet functional. also, what type of brushes do you guys use? or should i just skip the whole thing and take the parts to a machine shop and have them do their thing? which would be better? i think the shop might cost alittle more than i think.... thanks

my87zuk
04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I went to the auto parts store and bought some engine de-greaser. it didnt cost too much. it said just spray it on then wash it off with water. but i had to spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes then i used a tire brush. that was on the tranny, engine block, and head. only exterior parts. i was kinda scared to use it on the interior engine parts.

billsbar
04-11-2007, 04:39 PM
before engine removal i use this purple stuff you buy by the gallon at WallyWorld, let it soak and then I pressure wash it off. It's amazing how clean it gets it. Once apart I use my parts washer followed up with lacquer thinner.

Caution Caution Caution THIS NEXT PART READ WITH CAUTION

Years ago I bought this really nice and very worn out 80 Silverado that had every factory option offered, even tho most weren't working at the time.
This thing leaked a quart of oil about every 80 miles. It even oil soaked and ruined the rear tires. So you can imagine what the engine and engine bay must of look like. Now I'm not sayin anyone should ever do this, but lol
One cool evening I rolled it into the local car wash, with motor still cold and hosed the shyt out of it with foaming oven cleaner and let it sit for about 45 minutes. Now first there are two types of oven cleaner. One used on a cold oven and one where you heat the oven up. Use the cold type. 2nd don't get it on any rubber parts or wires. Let me tell you I had the EPA disaster of the decade when I hit it with the pressure washer. It took off everything including the paint right down to shiny metal. When I pulled out of the car wash it looked like someone had murdered a oil derrick in there. But the next day I pulled the motor and tranny out without getting my hands dirty.

disclaimer
The above story is a hypothetical event used for training ( EPA training) purposes only.

fuctzookis.a.
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
i liked that "story"
i can imagine since that crap nearly made me pass out when i had to clean the oven for a move.... nasty stuff. never would have thought of using that....

fcdrifter13
04-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Purple power is the shit but is only topped by one thing. That thing has a name and it is call Tornado. Tornado will burn your hands on contact if you are not careful with it or do not dilute it enough. I used it on my S13s engine bay last summer with a 50/50 ratio of water and the tornado. I could see it eating the paint off my frame rails it was so strong even diluted. THe best part is it dosnt eat aluminum or plastic, or any thing like that. It just goes through paint dirt grease and oil.

fuctzookis.a.
04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Ohhhhh... I Like The Sound Of Tornadoes....... Ill Have To Check On That Also..... Diluted Of Coarse And With Goggles...

zukinoobi
04-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Gunk spray on engine degreaser, followed with a stiff bristled brush scrubbing. Rinse with water. Leaves a oily film but dishwashing soap in the rinse water removes the film.

Most any dish washing liquid will cut some of the grease, use with a brush as above.

I haven't used it but it stands to reason that if Goop and GoJo will clean grease and oil off your hands it would also remove grease and oil from metal parts.

I get my brushes at Harbor Freight. They've got some good (cheap) 3 brush sets that contain stainless, brass, and synthetic bristles. Recently the set was on sale. Normally goes for an average of a buck/brush. You can also get the brushes individually.

The purple stuff from Walmart (can't remember the name) works pretty good. I used it to clean my brakes when replacing the drums/shoes.

Some say Simple Green works well. I've not tried it since the purchase price is a minimum of $8.88/gallon and directions indicate to use full strength on engines.

I got a gallon of Aluminum Brightener (cheap) at a local Chinamart. I haven't tried it yet but it claims to give a bright finish to all aluminum parts - instructions said don't leave on aluminum more than a few minutes before rinsing off.

I have a 20 gallon parts washer but so far haven't found anything to run in it that wouldn't cost more than the original purchase price of the washer! :shocked!:

smokin

fuctzookis.a.
04-13-2007, 12:47 PM
dang, i am on a crusade to get these engine parts dam clean