PDA

View Full Version : Got Propane install

desert runner
03-29-2007, 06:10 PM
I installed the Got Propane kit about 3 weeks ago,and so far Im very pleased with the performance.It was one of the easiest mods Ive done.It took more time to remove the old fuel system than to install the propane kit.I started by removin the fuel tank,fuel lines,and fuel pump.I made a block off plate,but I think an aftermarket big block chevy one has the same dimensions.Next to go was the carb,vacuum lines,and evap canister.After pluggin all the unused vacuum passages & cleaning the old gasket off the intake,Imade a bracket to mount the regulator.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/jackspics_2006/wheelin249.jpg
I reused the evap canister holes in the fire wall.Next I mounted the mixer & adapter to the intake,and connected the heater hose & the hose from the regulator to the mixer.The throttle is probably the hardest part.You have to reuse the throttle lever from the stock carb.I fitted it on the mixer by drillin the opening out slightly larger,then tack welding the lever to the mixers throttle stop.Next I repositioned the throttle cable to the front of the mixer by makin a simple bracket and boltin it to the intake.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/jackspics_2006/wheelin248.jpg
The propane tank was mounted next.The backets they give you have a tank positioner that you bolt to one of the hold downs.I placed my tank behind the seats so it is protected by the rollcage
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/jackspics_2006/wheelin253.jpg
The kit comes with plenty of fuel line,and it is real easy to make the lines fit your truck.The fittings have left-handed threads go over the hose and right-handed threads that go into the hose.After making the lines to the correct length and connecting everything ,I turned on the propane tank and checked every fitting for leaks with some soapy water in a spray bottle.After makin sure I had no leaks ,I wired the solinoid to a 12v ignition hot and grounded the other wireand tried to start to engine.I had a little trouble with it starting.Turns out it was a vacuum leak.After that was fixed it started easily.

Gearhead61
03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Cool! How's the performance? How much did it cost you? Anything you'd do differently now? You're running the 1.3L right?

desert runner
03-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I started by changing the spark plugs & wires and the cap and rotor.On the mixer there are two adjutment screws,idle & fuel mixture.I ended up with the mixture screw about half way and the idle at about 600rpm.I tried the timming at a couple different settings,I ended up leavin it at 13 initial.it runs pretty good,but Im still fine tuning a little more.

hillbilly
03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Cool!smokin

desert runner
03-29-2007, 06:23 PM
the propane woke up my old 1.3.The throttle responce is probably the biggest improvement and there are no flat spots like with the carb.My truck is mostly off-road so its hard to judge miles per gallon,but it seems a little better.Off-road is where you really apreciate this kit.The truck will run at any angle.It will still gear stall,but the only thing you can do about that is run an auto trans
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/jackspics_2006/wheelin272.jpg

desert runner
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
How much did it cost you?
it was $730 shipped to my door.

teckhardt
03-29-2007, 08:34 PM
I have been thinking about a diesel swap for my Zuk but the propane thing looks interesting too.

Zee
03-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Just waiting for my conversion to get here,Carey was going to try and have it here by the end of the week,next Mon at the latest.
Z

desert runner
03-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Carey had me my kit in about 3 days,but Im only in the next state over.You wont be disapointed with this kit.

CantCrawl
03-30-2007, 01:01 AM
I want propane but i dont know if ill be able to get it inspected since its not a DOT approved kit

desert runner
03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
In vegas,I talked to a inspector and he said that its legal here and now Im smog exempt.I suggest callin or going down to your local emissions lab.

CantCrawl
03-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Cool! will do. I'm getting tired of the shitty carb and I havent even driven my zuk off my street.

Rusty88SoftTop
03-31-2007, 02:41 AM
Very sweet, might have to do this to mine and register it in Nevada. This kit will work with a 16v if you use the carb manifold right?

desert runner
03-31-2007, 05:59 PM
This kit will work with a 16v if you use the carb manifold right?this kit will work with the 1.6 8-v,but not the 16v.That is one of the reasons I bought it incase I want to upgrade later.

shorty
04-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Also... if you are playing in the deep and want a snorkel... A gates Radiator hose will fit snug on the throat of the mixer. Part number on the sticker is 21944 It has a close enough 90 deg bend in it to miss the battery and will reach the firewall. I also picked up a 1 7/8 to 2" muffler adaptor to go through a plate I am going to mount on the firewall and then I have wet vac hose running from there to the top of my soon to be roll cage where it will be mounted with the filter that came with the kit will be.

I will be over there this evening finishing up the hoses under the hood, but I can't finish the others until I get the cage built.

ThreeEyedBandit
04-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Which mixer are they sending in the kit? It looks like a 100.

Matt

Zee
04-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I got my kit from GotPropane today,should be able to start on it this weekend,i hope :happy
Billjohn,i haven't forgotten you,i will take lots of pics.
Z

2slo
04-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Jack, you running an RV cam or still stock? I was wondering if that would help much with the gear stall.

desert runner
04-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Which mixer are they sending in the kit? It looks like a 100.

MattI think your right,but it doesnt say anything like that, it says model G-J

desert runner
04-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey Jack, you running an RV cam or still stock? I was wondering if that would help much with the gear stall.Im still runnin the stock cam until I build a propane motor.Im thinkin 1.6(8v)with 12 to 1 comp. some head work and an rv cam .I should start a (how should I build a 1.6(8v) for out of control power??)thread to see what everyone thinks.

2slo
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I started by changing the spark plugs & wires and the cap and rotor.On the mixer there are two adjutment screws,idle & fuel mixture.I ended up with the mixture screw about half way and the idle at about 600rpm.I tried the timming at a couple different settings,I ended up leavin it at 13 initial.it runs pretty good,but Im still fine tuning a little more.

What did you do the the fuel mixture screw? Whats a good way to set this?

desert runner
04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
What did you do to the fuel mixture screw? Whats a good way to set this?I just played with it till it idled as smooth as possible.I ended up with it about halfway threaded in.Also ,when putting on the propane hose to the mixer,you have to make sure that there is no air leaks.this kit is really sensitive to air leaks.I had the smallest leak at that hose and it didnt want to start.

86tintop
04-06-2007, 06:27 PM
what kind of range do you get out of your tank?

desert runner
04-07-2007, 03:57 PM
what kind of range do you get out of your tank?
Its kind of hard to say because I dont drive the truck on the street much.And when I go wheelin, Ill be on the trail for a couple of hours and maybe go a mile.But I think it is comparable to the 10 gallon stock gas tank in terms as range.On my last trip to logandale,I drove around and hit almost every hard obstacle out there for about 6 or 7 hours and the truck used a 1/4 tank(about 2 gallons of propane).Im using the 8 gallon forklift tank,but when you fill it it only hold 7 1/2 gallons because of expansion.They make a 10 gallon forklift tank if you drive on the street more then I do.

Zee
04-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I was fortunate enough to get a 10 Gal tank from a friend,free and full even,my goal was to not lose any range from the original tank.
I have yet to ever empty the original dino tank,and have heard from others that it is difficult to do,as there is usually 1 1/2 to 2 gallons that don't get picked up.
I am trying to fit my TT for 2 10 Gal tanks for times i don't trailer mine to the trail,or back country exploring where you have to have all you need on board.
Space will definitely be an issue,and will take some creative thinking and fabbing.
I hope your example of fuel consumption is the norm,if so this will make the conversion well worth the expense.
I am courious as to the condition of the engine you started with,was it a newer one,high mileage,etc?
Mine has 83K on it,runs quite well with the stock carb at higher altitudes but runs rich below 1K ft,so i am hoping to even out my fuel useage.
Thanks for the write up, very informative.
Z

desert runner
04-08-2007, 02:59 AM
I am courious as to the condition of the engine you started with,was it a newer one,high mileage,etc?

ZMy engine thats in there now is a total junkyard jewel that I put together from 3 different motors.I built it when I was in a band and touring alot and had no money.It has lasted for a couple of years, but will be replaced by a 1.6(8v)built for propane eventually.Keep me posted on your install.

toykilla5150
04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I just ordered my kit today! what did you do about all the wiring from the computer and carb? did you just unplug it all? or is it all removed? Thanks

Andrew

shorty
04-11-2007, 12:54 AM
I removed my almost completely and will hopefully have it completely out before May 4th. It was easy to unwire... one wire at a time.

roczuk
04-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I have to say I'm totally happy with mine; Samurai Jack and I got our kits almost the same day and probably even installed it the same weekend. I totally agree with Samurai Jack on the efficiency of the propane and it definately woke up my tire 1.3.

desert runner
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I just unplugged all the wiring initially(was excited to see how it would run).I have been stripping wires out slowly,but still have some more to go.
RokZuk;;maybe we could get you to post some pics of your brackets you made to mount everything to give people some ideas on where to mount the regulator with fenders still on(mine are long gone).

shorty
04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
I mounted my regulated to the inside of the firewall. My heater nor A/C worked so to me it was wasted space... So used a hammer to "clearance" the plastic out from under the dash. I then drilled two holes through the firewall and bolted it up and I ran all the lines through the factory opening in the firewall. Cary sent me a fitting in the regulator so I could vent it into the snorkel, so it wouldn't vent into the cab.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/shortys/Grey%20Zuki/GreyZukibuild032.jpg

toykilla5150
04-11-2007, 08:19 PM
What did you guys pay for ur tanks? how many tanks and how big? Im looking for the fiberglass/ transparent tanks. Anyone have an idea on where to find one?

desert runner
04-12-2007, 01:15 AM
I bought 2 new 8 gallon aluminum tanks locally for $140 a piece.I tried to get some used tanks,but everyone I looked at was so trashed and not that much cheaper than a new one.I think roczuk has the fiberglass transparent tanks your talkin about.

shorty
04-12-2007, 04:57 AM
I think I paid $140(could be wrong... bad memory) or so shipped for my transperant tank... I will have to look it up again. I was recommended to use them by cary at got propane, ask him, he will have their contact info. They were in Colorado if I remember right.

toykilla5150
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks I think Cary tould me gas equpment of Denver. Ill give him a call today.

Ok so i called and ordered my transperant tank this morning on my drive to work. I live in Sacramento CA and it cost $155 shipped to me. ill have it tuesday!

FGZ
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Bump for a propane question...

I'm in MA and can't find anything about whether or not it's legal on the road. I assume no, since they're strict up here. For what reasons is it illegal in states where it's not allowed? Smog? Safety?

Thanks for any info...

desert runner
06-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Bump for a propane question...

I'm in MA and can't find anything about whether or not it's legal on the road. I assume no, since they're strict up here. For what reasons is it illegal in states where it's not allowed? Smog? Safety?

Thanks for any info...
You should try callin your local DMV and ask them some questions.I doubt that its illegal to run propane in your state.

FGZ
06-08-2007, 08:09 AM
I've had a REAL hard time finding out who to call (will pursue that route though), but the general consensus after asking around on a local board is that it probably is NOT illegal like I thought.

"paranoia paranoia everybody's comin to get me..."