PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried an LS1 v8?

Rusty88SoftTop
03-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I used to have a 2002 camaro z28 and would like to know if anyone has measured a samurai for that drivetrain, the t56 6 speed trans is huge so you'd have to use the 4 speed auto. the engine itself is all aluminum and really light for a v8, lighter than the all iron 4.3 v6. i'd put it into my samurai which will be a tube buggy so engine bay size is of little concern. any way just curious... btw my camaro made 415 horse and 430 tq with just an intake lid, longtube headers, underdrive crank, ported throttle body and a mild cam.

zukking01
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
You can do anything with enough fabrication. I dont see why you couldnt get one in a buggy. I have a all cast iron 4.3 and it is HEAVY but will be worth the power ratio.

Billjohn
03-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Like this? Is this an LS-1?
http://www.izook.com/features/insane/images/cc2005015.jpg

http://www.izook.com/features/insane/insane.htm

He has come to play at the Chile Challenge for the last three years! Nice guy.

DcR660
03-28-2007, 12:18 AM
thats the sickest thing i've ever seen.

Rusty88SoftTop
03-28-2007, 12:52 AM
thats an LT1 that one makes about 50 less horsepower in stock form and is piggggg heavy as its iron block and aluminum heads, not all aluminum.

Rusty88SoftTop
03-28-2007, 12:54 AM
on second look that might be TPI SBC, less power and heavier than even a
LT1

Rusty88SoftTop
03-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeap, read the article its a TPI small block chevy. Extremely heavy and only a little more power than a 4.3 v6, lots more torque though.

Billjohn
03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
It was very impressive on the trails though... He had torque to spare and he could spin the 49's anytime he had a mind to.

Rusty88SoftTop
03-28-2007, 04:28 PM
oh no i'm not bagging on the rig... its sweet, but the engine can't be compared to a LS1 v8. If they put an old SBC in a samurai then an LS1 would be an easy fit, not sure about the trans though...

texzuk87
03-29-2007, 07:37 PM
oh no i'm not bagging on the rig... its sweet, but the engine can't be compared to a LS1 v8. If they put an old SBC in a samurai then an LS1 would be an easy fit, not sure about the trans though...
I don't know what gave you the idea that the pictured motor is a TPI motor but its a LT-4 out of a 1995-1997 Corvette. It came from the factory equipped with aluminum heads and made nearly the same amount of power as an LS-1.This motor is no where comparable to the 4.3L

Rusty88SoftTop
03-29-2007, 08:49 PM
yeah i looked at the article again and it is an LT1, its not an LT4 though that engine has a different intake manifold than the one pictured (you can see the EGR blockoff plate near the throttle body) the reason i thought it was a TPI was I first skimmed the article and it mentioned SBC and LT1s are usually referred to as second gen SBs or SB2. PS the 1997 corvette had an ls1 lol.

ddement
03-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Capt Jim on zuwharrie was almost finished putting an LS1 in a sammy with a jaguar IFS rear end. He hasn't posted an update in a while but search there for Bufo.

ZUKRUE(achilles)
03-29-2007, 11:33 PM
OH MY GOD that is one of the best samurai engine compartments i've ever seen. I have a chevy 350 out of a c10 in my 87sam and i thought it was cool but its nothing like that !

Rusty88SoftTop
03-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Capt Jim on zuwharrie was almost finished putting an LS1 in a sammy with a jaguar IFS rear end. He hasn't posted an update in a while but search there for Bufo.

thanks for the info bigok

texzuk87
03-30-2007, 12:33 PM
PS the 1997 corvette had an ls1 lol.
1997 was the last year for the C4 vette all of them had LT-4s Gen 2 smallblocks.
1998 was the first year for the C5 and they had LS1s also known as a Gen 3 smallblock. There were some late bulid 97 cars but they were C5s sold as 1998 year models. I know the motor pictured above is a LT-4 because it has the correct intake and valve covers. The LT-1 valve covers were stamped steel while the LT-4 had composite.

Rusty88SoftTop
03-30-2007, 05:22 PM
do a google search, 1997 was the first c5. yes, the engine above has the composite valve covers but my understanding was that all lt4s had the red intake manifold, guess not. anyway i did not start this thread to argue about whether or not an engine in a picture is what it is when its not even the one I am interested in.

durnzuki
04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I have put then in s-10's a couple of times and one in a civic. If you have any electrical know how it's not a problem.

Rusty88SoftTop
04-01-2007, 03:01 PM
ive done a G-body swap and an FC RX-7, so i've pretty much got the electrical down i really wanted to know about the length and where the trans would sit.

quadrider
04-30-2007, 07:30 PM
I guess the length might be a bit of a problem, but you could do a frame stretch in the front if you were going to tube the front anyway. It would be funny to pull up to a ricer with an LS1 in a sammi, though. smokin

beeker
05-01-2007, 01:32 AM
i found this add a few months back
1988 Samurai Cab. Paint and bodywork by James Moser. Paint color is a light Gunmetal BMW Silver. Autometer Silver Series gauges were mounted in a 6061 panel machined to fit precisely in the stock gauge pod. An Autometer shift light was inserted in the stock dash clock location.
Custom chassis 2.0 x 4.0 x .187 HSS American mild steel main rails. Fully machined for extreme accuracy and precise fit-up. Welding performed by structurally qualified individuals. All fastener holes were sleeved with DOM tubing for crush resistance and strength. All round tube work is 1.750 x .120 ERW.
Motor GM Performance Parts small-block 350. This motor was purchased brand new and the break-in procedure has just been completed as per GM specifications. For motor specs please visit (www.gmperformanceparts.com) and click through to the GM 350 HO (Part No. 12499711). The motor is equipped with a Holley 670 Truck Avenger carb. A March Performance billet and clear coated serpentine pulley conversion was installed to drive the accessories. A high-performance Edelbrock aluminum water pump and 110 amp chrome alternator as well as a premium chrome-plated power steering pump are visible through the grill. Exhaust consists of block hugger headers followed up with dual 2 tubing and Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers. An Optima Red battery with billet aluminum hold-down and a performance starter were also installed
Cooling system Coolant pumped by the Edelbrock water is slightly over-driven by the March pulley. Coolant then flows to the rear of the cab into a large Northern aluminum radiator. The rad is protected by a stainless steel and polished aluminum grill and cooled with a Taurus fan. A 160 degree thermostat was installed. Overheating issues are non-existent. With the fan on, coolant temperature remains at 160 degrees. Intermittent use of the fan results in an average 180 degree engine temperature. An Autometer Silver Series coolant pressure gauge was installed in the cab. Cooling system has proven to be very reliable, efficient, and trouble-free.
Transmission SM 465 4-Speed Manual transmission
Transfer Cases A dual transfer case setup is installed behind the SM 465. This consists of a NP203/NP205 setup via an OTT adapter. Shift linkage with stainless steel shafting and small heim joints for positive engagement. The transfer case setup is fully clocked up to allow for as much ground clearance as possible
Driveshafts All new components throughout. Spicer long-slips in both shafts and 1350 u-joints at all yokes. The front shaft is equipped with a double-carden style joint. Shaft tubing is .250 wall DOM tubing to withstand abuse. The weak stock Dana 60 yoke was removed and a true one-ton yoke bolted on in its place. This setup is extremely robust yet the angles result in vibration-free running. High range 4wd is also vibration-free.
Front Differential 1993 Dana 60 Front axle assembly. Differential was professionally refurbished with new bearings, 4:10 gears, and a Detroit Locker. It is equipped with an OTT High Steer setup with all new 1-ton tie rod ends and 1.250 x .250 DOM drag link and tie rod. New brake calipers and shoes installed as well. A Bluetoch Fabworks fabricated diff cover was painted and cleared to match the truck and bolted in place
Rear Differential Corporate 14-bolt rear diff. Also professionally refurbished with new bearings, 4:10 gears, and a Detroit Locker. Disc brakes were bolted in place with Bluetorch Fabworks brackets and new calipers, shoes, rotors, etc. The rear four-link suspension mounts to the 14-bolt with a Bluetorch diff truss and fully machined bracketry for precise fit-up and strength. A custom rear diff cover was fabricated and bolted in place with flush-mount SS FHCS
Tires and Rims 39.5 TSL Boggers and Hummer Beadlock rims.
Front Suspension 4 Wagoneer pickup leaf spring pack. These springs are very similar to the popular Rancho 44044 leafs. Ranch 9012 shocks (painted and cleared).
Rear Suspension Triangulated 4-link setup with Evolution Machine Heims at every joint. Lower links are 2.5 x .375 DOM tubing with C1018 inserts. Upper links are 2.250 x .250 DOM. All links were painted and cleared to match and bolted in place with .750 fasteners. Coils are TJ fronts and shock absorbers are Rancho 9012s. This is a properly engineered and extremely strong setup, resulting in excellent suspension travel, zero axle-wrap, and good street manners
Fuel System Fuel is stored in a 65 L Jeep YJ tank mounted transversely behind the cab. This tank was chosen for corrosion resistance as well as a trail-friendly capacity. Fuel is pumped to the engine with a Holley Red fuel pump. Braided stainless fuel hose and high-quality anodized fittings utilized throughout.
Electrical System The electrical system was meticulously designed for environment resistance and trouble-free operation. All non-stock components in the truck operate from a separate fuse panel. Every wire sized properly for the load applied on it and all components fuse protected. GM WeatherPak electrical connectors used for all aftermarket items. Every connection sealed and crimped with the correct GM factory crimpers. LED turn, brake, and signal lights were installed front and rear. The care and attention to detail on this system goes far above and beyond the typical.
Stereo CD/MP3 Head unit with Sony Explod round and Clarion 6 x 9 speakers.
115" wheelbase
heres a pic i found
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=big%20suz%201%20(Custom).JPG