PDA

View Full Version : not the sharpest knife in the drawer part II

overthebars
03-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok who knows this one,.. I have a 1990 1.3 sami and all is well, except for the top end,... compression is good and all the other gears 1-4 seen they have balls only 5th is weak as in up to 80 km is a ok, only,... a hill is always needed to go faster. and a hill on the road is a speed killer. Also at what RPM should I be at with that speed as on the road 3000 -3100 is that normal. Plus at Idel the oil pressure is around 20 and hovers around 5o in motion and when cold on start up can hit 80 psi then drops. I have asked about gears here and have learned a think or two and am thankful to all Ive learned,. and ThankYOU. only what is stock on a Samurai wheels tires etc as I think my loss of top end may be due to larger wheels already thinking , them as stock size or I have other gremlins I need to look at:dance: :dance: :funny: :shocked!: :shocked!:

Gearhead61
03-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Larger and heavier wheels and tires will cause the engine to work harder to turn them. That's part of the reason why getting gears to go with bigger/heavier wheels and tires is important. Also, your 5th gear is an overdrive gear, meaning that the driveshaft is rotating faster than the engine is spinning. This increase in rotational speed comes at the expense of usable torque. Going up a hill puts an added load on your engine, sucking even more torque up. That's why you're slowing down. It doesn't have anything to do with your motor I don't think. Getting gears for your axles (or for your transfer case) ought to help you out a lot. Do be aware that by going to lower (numerically higher) gears will decrease your top speed unless you add taller tires to compensate.

overthebars
03-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Gearhead61 thankyou makes sence to me,..so gears from a tracker stick is the way to go?? (5.12) plus no larger the 31 32's on a stock axle then too?

Gearhead61
03-21-2007, 12:50 AM
5.12 gears should work nicely for you. They should give you about 37% more torque (5.12/3.73 = 1.3726...). Just, at any given time, your wheels will be spinning 37% slower. The added circumference of the taller tires will often make up for that though.

I'm still not positive on which tracker gears will work in the sammi axles... I think the front tracker 3rd will bolt up to the front sammi housing, but for the rear, you will need a hybrid housing. Also, I think the general consensus is that 33" tires is about the largest you want to run on Sammi axles to keep your odds of breakage minimal.

Rusty88SoftTop
03-22-2007, 02:00 AM
the tracker front from a 5-speed trak will bolt up to the front or rear sammi axle housing and has the 5.125 gears. However, most choose to swap the ring and pinion from the tracker 3rd member to the sammi 3rd member (due to the fact that the sammi 3rd is steel, stronger, and the trak 3rd is aluminum, weaker) which requires a kit available from our vendors. hope this helps!

Rusty88SoftTop
03-22-2007, 02:10 AM
check out this thread, it goes through the track/kick gear swap. to make it more clear you do not need a hybrid housing, you just use the trak/kick front gears and both the front and rear of the samurai.

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=4215